Quality Time

NeverAgain26

Last night after a lot of procrastination (sound familiar, anyone ?), I decided to clean my guns. I usually do this before I travel (I don't know why) and I am off to the Far East tomorrow night.

My boys were upstairs on their computers. My seven (and 5/6:) ) year old daughter came down the stairs and saw what I was doing. She insisted on helping clean Daddy's guns!

I saw an opportunity and grabbed it. We both put on our latex gloves, I made sure there was no ammo anywhere on the same floor of the house and we set to it. Her gloves were huge on her tiny little hands, but she was scrubbing away in earnest and did everything I told her to do.

In the beginning, I thought it was going to be bothersome, but I have to say, it is the most fun time I have spent with my daughter in months. She was serious and she did a great job. I went over everything she did and inspected it after she was done.

She stuck with it through 4 out of 5 guns and I have to give her a lot of credit. The best thing is, besides for the quality time we spent together, I taught her a lot about safety. We chatted while we were cleaning and I was in heaven.

I finally got my wife to start shooting after a lot of reluctance on her part. Now I have another ally in the family interested my hobby. I promised my daughter that as soon as she is 12, like her older brothers, she will be enrolled in an N.R.A. youth rifle course at our range.

Life is sweet and I am blessed, praise the L-rd.

NA26

jmlv

WAY COOL

WISH i HAD A KID TO TEACH. AS IT IS i WILL GET TO TRAIN MY NEPHEW AND NEICE IF i CAN TALK THEIR MOTHER INTO IT AND THEY SHOW SOME INTREST. I ENVY YOU.

Chipperman

Thanks for the great post!

Gives me the warm fuzzies all over. I have twin sons that are 18 months old now. I can't wait until they are old enough to begin that sort of thing. Right now they would just try to eat them. :D

ACP230

If she's nearly eight and willing to help clean several guns, she might be ready to start shooting now. My kids started at six or seven with an air rifle and moved on to .22s in a year or two. By 13 my oldest was shooting rifle matches locally, and bowling pins at a large match.

Does NJ make it illegal to start kids shooting before 12?

Mastrogiacomo

Kids make great little cleaners! My father started using me in his fire restoration cleaning business when I was old enough to carry a bucket to him. This is also a great way for your daughter to learn about guns, how to take them apart safely, reassemble them and learn all about gun safety. Sounds like she's well on her way to joining you with this hobby. :D

Robert Foote

Give a mouse a cookie...

Doing something with Dad is probably the big draw but sharing your hobby is great for both of you. My daughter is a confirmed horse person; but she also picked up on shooting in a minor key as well. Got her her own Glock at age 13 which always gave us an excuse to go the range--and McDonalds afterwards. When she was 19 I offered her a chance to go off to Gunsite which was quite an adventure.

Congratulations--you may have the start of something wonderful there.