Quality sd rounds

rocky.223

This being my first post on here i would like to thank all of you for your time and responses! I am relatively new to fire arms but am spending a lot of time reading and researching. I Recently bought an FNP 9 mm for target shooting. It will be in a small vault by my bed so was thinking to have some sd rounds for home. There seem to be a lot of them out there and ammunition is a very broad subject.
So the question is what 9mm round would best be used for home defense?
(god forbid i ever need to!) also what is +P versus normal?

Thanks again all!:)

ChileVerde1

Walmart and other retailers sell good quality JHPs for 9mm in fifty count boxes from Winchester and Remington. I believe they may even have 100 count boxes but I can't remember. That stuff is good quality ammo at a reasonable price. Don't get sucked into the marketing schemes from various companies and individuals who "swear" the the "X Brand" or whatever else is in vogue.... is the absolute best defensive round.

I get a quarterly issue of about 150+rds of .40 cal for proficiency and qualifications from my agency. The manufacurers vary by whoever has the contract at the time. Currently it's Federal (155gr Brass case - not Hydroshok). They have also issued us Winchester and the blasty Remington Golden Saber in the past too. I have to buy my 9mm and I have to say that those 50-100 count boxes of JHP's at Walmart have nothing to envy from the stuff the govt issues. Contrary to popular belief, I've yet to be issued anything in a nickel case or anything with polymer tips or any other nonsense.

As long as they function reliably in your weapon and are from a repudable mfgr, I wouldn't sweat the small stuff. There are absolutey too many variables in a self defense/use of force scenario to conclusively say beyond a reasonable doubt that the fight ended becasue XXXX brand ammo was that costs $34.00 for a box of twenty was used. There is defineately a difference in affordable ammo and "cheap" ammo.

ClydeFrog

9mm defense rounds; NRA, gun-use of force laws...

Hello & welcome to TFL;
In short, there are a few good 9mm AKA: 9x19mm, 9mmNATO, 9mmP, 9mmLuger. Your top choice should be the Winchester Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP. It is in use with many US police agencies and has a great record as a duty/protection load. Other good picks in the 9x19mm caliber would include the Remington Golden Saber 124gr +P bonded JHP, the Hornady TAP or Critical Defense round, the Ranger T 124gr +P JHP bonded, the Corbon DPX or PowRball 9mm, the Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P JHP, the Federal EFMJ, the Magsafe SWAT 9mm.

I'd also suggest learning your local gun & use of force laws and joining the NRA. It's not perfect but they work very hard to protect your 2A rights.
Check here for more details: www.SGammo.com www.NRA.org www.ShopCorbon.com www.Cabelas.com www.NatchezSS.com .

CF
ps: The +P refers to the higher pressure limits, see the SAAMI website or read your firearm's owners manual.
I suggest the 124gr 9mm loads over 147gr rounds to get the same type of action/recoil from training or practice ammunition. Most milspec 9mm rounds are 124gr. ;)

kinoons

It should be noted that the momentum of heavier rounds wins out over simple energy numbers displayed by lighter, but faster rounds. Because of this the heaviest weight 9mm round that will reliably cycle your handgun should be used. If at all possible it should be a 147 gr round.

THORN74

currently i have .40S&W 135gr Fedral hydrashocks in my Sig P226 and Hornady .45ACP 185gr Critical Defence FTX in my 1911s

RT

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887
The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Kreyzhorse

Like RT pointed out above, there are lots of great options out there. Find a couple, make sure they run well in your gun and you are set.

Locoweed

Buffalo Bore makes some pretty hot stuff and I'm getting ready to order some .45 auto rim in +P+ for my S&W 325.

Hoosier_Daddy

I am relatively new too. I have a Springfield XD(m) 9 mm and I have settled on the Speer Gold Dot GDHP 124 Gr. +P
Whatever you get, practice with it to make sure your pistol works with your ammo. I've yet to have a fail to fire or fail to eject but I've only shot about 300 round of different FMJ and about 20 rounds of the Gold Dot GDHP.