Quality of the New Russian AK-47s??

gbelleh

I would like to add an AK-47 to my growing family of firearms. I'm not looking for the ultimate in quality or shootability. This gun would probably fire less than 100 rounds a year just for fun on occasional trips to the farm, etc.

There are some very inexpensive Russian AK-47s out there right now. Like this one on GA:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976277609.htm

Are these of decent quality for the purpose I described? Are they as reliable as any other AK? Any reason to avoid one?

Comments good or bad would be appreciated.

MP-44

Those are Russian saigas that are converted by Hesse. I have never owned a Hesse firearm but have only heard very bad things about them. If you go to ak-47.net and do a search under hesse you will see what I mean.

cheygriz

MP 44 is correct. I didn't realize that the picture was of a Hesse. (brain fart, I guess) If it really is a Hesse, DON"T buy it!

The Romanian SAR series are pretty good guns at $300-$350 out the door.

At any rate, if you're interested in an AK, go over to AK-47.net and do some research.

Chazman

I have a SAR-1 and could not be happier with it!! Paid $329 and it came with a sling, a 10rd mag, and a 40rd mag. there is also a little cleaning kit in the butt. look for a 2002 or above on the SAR-1's as some earlier models have had canted front sites/gas blocks and trigger slap. Mine is a 2002 and has had none of the issues described above.

Check this site out here for more info.

Chaz

The Gooch

Don't go Saiga

Go VEPR

I have 2 of them and they are sweet. www.robarm.com
Never buy anything from hesse. A VEPR II 20 inch barrel in 762x39 is $469.00

Much better than the Saiga.

Gooch

AK103K

Depends on what you want to spend. The SAR's can be good shooters if you get a decent one, the Saigas are nicer, if get the right boy to do the work. As with anything, you get what you pay for. Once you start shooting one, it wont be just "a hundred or so" a year :) AK's are a lot of fun and very addictive. Best part is, ammo and accessories are cheap. AK-47.net is the place to check things out.

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=77

dogface

AK types

I too am looking for an AK. For me, however, quality will be very important for many reasons. In any case, I have been looking at the AK 103k from Marc Krebs (www.krebscustom.com). I have talked to him, at length, on the telephone and he seems very knowledgable and helpful. Perhaps more importantly, he seems genuinely excited about his products, and AK's in general.

I have also checked the AK-47 website, but have not found many hits on Krebs.

Does anybody have any information about the quality of his products. The prices are steep for an AK (around $800.00), but I do not plan on buying anymore after this.

Thank you.

AK103K

Dogface,

I have a Krebs AK103K. He does real nice work. I've got around 3000 rounds through mine now without a hitch. It shoots about 3" at 100 yards with Wolf or Barnaul and open sights, if I do my part. About the only downside to the 103K is it has more muzzle flash than the longer barreled guns. The 14" barrel doesnt seem to affect the accuracy, and the brake really works well. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

gbelleh

Thanks for all the info. I didn't realize Hesse had any part in those. I've heard plenty of negative comments about Hesse.

I don't really want to spend more than $400 or $450 on an AK. I don't get a chance to go out to the farm much, so this rifle will most likely sit next to the AR-15 for months at a time. (My AR-15 has about 150 rounds through it and I haven't shot it in over 10 months! :( )

I'll do some research over at AK-47.net

Any more suggestions on good value priced AKs are welcome.

MAKOwner

SARs aren't pretty but they work and shoot well unless you got extremely unlucky, Hesses have been known not to do either... That said these "Russian AKs" are Saiga sporters that Hesse converted back to pistol grip stock setups. All they do is add the grip, relocate the trigger housing, install US made fire control pieces, buttstock, and install a feedramp. I hear even Hesse can do these mods decently, and these turn out fine...

Doubleought

Romanian SAR's are butt-ugly, out of the box, but they have a lot of potential! For the money, you can't beat 'em!

My '99 SAR-1 with refinished wood. $300.00

P1010011.JPG

The Gooch

No wood but still hot!

Vepr 20 inch 223

For about 100 dollars more you can have this well machined beauty. Not gonna get crooked sights here.

Gooch

Attachments

• veprii223.jpg
    veprii223.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 118

Barn Dog

gbelleh, I agree with Gooch, Vepr all the way. Built like a tank and high quality finish. Will not break, will not jam, goes boom every time and is way more accurate than the average AK. You should be able to find one for about $550-575. Your grandchildren will be able to shoot it. Regards, Barn.

M700

Want a REALLY nice AK? Check out

http://www.ak-103.com

Just as nice as a Krebs, less money, less wait. Fantastic guns. They also look much nicer than a Vepr in my opinion. That non standard front end and buttstock is quite cheesy looking to me.

vanfunk

I have a Hesse-converted SAIGA, and I have to admit that it works. As a matter of fact, it has worked flawlessly. Further, I have not heard of a single person who has had trouble with one of these. Hesse may have a well-deserved reputation for the shoddy manufacture of other firearms, but these they seem to have spared from the usual fate. After all, all they're really doing here is relocating the fire control parts, and welding in a feed ramp and muzzle break. The buttstock is flimsy, but I replaced mine with a stock from K-Var. The factory fit and finish is leagues above the SAR-1, and the action is much, much smoother. The trigger is better on my piece than any SAR I've handled. Accuracy with my gun is in the range of 4 inches at 100, which is as well as I can do with open, buckhorn-style sights. The SAR 1 is a great value and obviously works well, but I like my Hesse better (Gawd, I can't believe I'm saying this!). I got my Hesse AK for $400. BTW, this is NOT the same as the Hesse-manufactured .223 AK that some might have encountered. The one I'm speaking of is genuine Russian manufacture. There are MUCH better AK's out there for sure, but my Hesse-SAIGA conversion has fulfilled every need I've had for an AK

The only real pet peeve I have with these is that the receiver is not threaded to accept the included cleaning rod, and has had the lugs for the rod ground off. It seems a little naked without the rod, IMO.

As always, YMMV
vanfunk

Tropical Z

Nice to hear about the Hesse's.I've been looking at the Izhmash (Saiga) conversions that SOG has occasionally.I'm not sure if they are Hesse's or not however.