Quality of Remington 7400 Auto?

147 Grain

Just curious as to your opinion on the overall quality of Remington's 7400 semi-auto rifle - particularly in 30-06?

Does the action function reliably or jam once in a while? Are there any extra maintenance issues involved?

Is the accuracy suffient up to 250 yards? Other good / bad points about this rifle?

Thanks in advance of your reply!

cntryboy1289

You mean the Remington Jamomatic

I have had many come through the shop needing to be fixed. The accuracy is fine for the range you mentioned and if the gun is kept clean, it functions very well. The problem is most folks know little more than running a cleaning rod down the barrel. You will need to clean the extractor and I mean remove it to clean it and the spring and all. Learn how to remove it and put it back in because you will need to clean it from time to time. Keep the action scrubbed out as well and things should be fine.

tintcutter

I could keep mine on a paper plate at 100 yards with a hot barrel. They do better with the first shot from a cold barrel. Mine was a .270. I traded it on a XD-40 pistol.

rallyhound

mine shoots good but i cant figure out how to take it apart aside from swabbing the barrel. The owners manual is of little help other than to advise you to take it to a gunsmith. Shoots fine buti would not buy one again

I hear it is realy good. I also saw on the histroy channel that martin luther king was shot with it from around 50 yards away when he was killed. I dont know how it stands up to jamming but i never heard any complants but then again all rifles jam some times even bolt action.

Jseime

top notch

i had a 742 in .243 and it was a good shooter. i never had a jam in over 100 rounds (i know thats not a whole bunch but i only had it for a while) as long as you keep it clean and dont let the chamber rust you'll be just fine. a chamber with any amount of rust in it will sink you.

rbernie

I had a 7400 in 270, hated it, and sold it at a loss just to get rid of it.

It would only feed spizer rounds; semi-round nose or hollow-point bullets (e.g. Barnes) would hang up on the chamber lip. There was no way to clear this feed jam without pulling the magazine. Unfortunately, when you pull the magazine you also remove the bolt stop (it's the mag follower) - meaning the bolt now wants to slam onto the fingers that you have inserted into the action to try and clear the feed jam caused by the fact that it wouldn't feed half of the commercially-available ammo I tried.

Moreover, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to actually clean the breech end of the weapon since the manual pretty much told me that I wasn't capable of removing the bolt. Given how much I hated its manual of arms, I wasn't much in the mood to figure out how true this was and just accepted the Remington advice at face value. Mine was made in 2002, and it was full of all sorts of sharp edges that would bleed me every time I used it. Maybe the older 742's were better finished, but the late-model stuff is truely horrid.

All in all, between bleeding me with its sharp edges and crushing my fingers every time I used it or tried to clean it, it was the most un-user-friendly platform I've ever owned. Good riddance.

Big-Foot

Martin Luther King was shot with a .308 model 760, the pump version. Sorry, history fan here.

The 7400s are a bit fragile, I've read about broken bolts, etc. It's not the kind of gun that you would call a workhorse.

cntryboy1289

742 was an excellent rifle

The old 742 was a very good semi auto rifle. Remington, like so many gun makers do due to whatever reason, decide it was time to cut manufacturing costs. They used more sheetmetal stampings and thus you get what I called the 7400 Jamomatic.

Kanilure

Remington 7400

Hmmm.

Mine is a bit particular about its ammo. It only wants Remington cartridges, but it works fine with them. I can use the less expensive UMC ammo in it cause it is loaded with Remington cartridges. Feeds just fine with original mag and Eagle 10 round mags, course the Eagles don't hold the bolt back on the last cartridge, so you just keep one in the firing chamber when you change mags. That bolt release on the magazine is a bit of a pain, but you get used to it.

I do take mine apart for a thorough cleaning about every 100 rounds. There are a couple of pins you remove down near the trigger group and the bolt and everything comes out for cleaning. Its not too hard. It does want to be well lubricated. The more I shoot it the better it works.

I keep mine sighted in for 200 yards and it shoots 3-4 inch groups from a sandbag so I'm pretty happy with it. Oh, BTW, its a .308, the short action. I've heard the long actions work a little better.