Quality of Forster Dies

hammie

Short version: Are forster dies bad, okay, or excellent? Should I buy them?

Long version: There are plenty of "my dies are better than yours" threads here, but this is a little different. Due to scarcity of ammunition or components, this is not the best time to adopt a new cartridge, but I've been shooting my son's ruger american, chambered for 6.5 grendel, and I fell in love with the cartridge. The grendel is efficient, accurate, and doesn't detach retinas or loosen dental fillings. Plus it would work well on smaller texas white tails. So I just purchased a Howa mini 1500, chambered for 6.5 grendel.

I normally buy redding dies, but the redding 6.5 grendel dies are selling from midway for about 125 $. That's a pretty big hit. Then I saw some forster dies for about 105 $. I've used just about every brand of die, EXCEPT for forster. I think I would like to have something different and try a set. Forster's come with a different "benchrest" seating die, which looks intriguing.

So...any comments, evaluations or experiences with forster dies will be helpful.

The Forster products are fine. The benchrest seating die is a base version of their ultra micrometer seating die. Both have the same sliding sleeve case alignment feature, but the latter adds micrometer adjustment. Redding's Competition Seating Die competes with the Forster Ultra Micrometer version. There are two differences. Where Forster uses a solid seating stem, Redding uses a floating seating stem that is depressed against the bullet by a small hemispherical protrusion in the micrometer head. Redding's patent on the floating stem claims this addresses one bullet misalignment condition that can still occur in the Forster. But it also has a drawback in that depressing the seater from a point on the dimple makes the die a little delicate, so Redding says not to use their Competition Seating Die to seat compressed loads.

In my experience, the Redding does a great job of minimizing cartridge runout. The Forster should, also, but I've never owned one to compare the results. I have very slightly compressed loads with the Redding without a problem, but I would not push that very far, though you will see one thread participant in the link two paragraphs down does so without a problem, while the OP cracked his stem. Seating compressed loads with the Forster should present no issues.

Another difference is that the Redding die has and needs (apparently) only two seating stems, a standard and a VLD stem to cover all bullets. Forster says their standard stem covers 90% of bullets, but for the other 10% they will make you a custom stem based on you sending them some cases and bullets ($34, each), so be prepared that you may or may not need that.

This thread suggests from 2010 (check out the prices) the Forster is potentially the better of the two. It claims better concentricity from the Forster, but I have to say the ones I seat with the Redding rarely exceed 0.001" runout, and when they do, I always find the case neck is rather thicker on one side than the other. This article shows the effectiveness of the Redding design, but, again, no Forster to compare to.

Anyway, I am going to give the Forster a try on my next rifle seating die purchase to see how it compares.

TX Nimrod

I have two Forster benchrest die sets (well actually one is a Bonanza which predates Forster’s purchase). The oldest is over 40 years old and lacks the micrometer adjustment but otherwise appears like current designs. Runout measurements with either are less than 0.002” - but of course even a perfectly seated bullet in a crooked case will have some runout. The older set will load ammunition which can agg in the .3s - from a .300 Savage barrel. From my admittedly old and small sample size the Forster dies are very good quality. I am also happy with Redding products. I quit buying RCBS dies in the last century as I had to send too many back due to poor build quality.

Bottom line, I think that the OP will be happy with Forster products.

stagpanther

I'm a Redding bushing die guy when I can find them, they just seem to fit my world better in terms of flexibility, especially when trying out wildcats which no regular dies are made for. I'm not too proud to buy lee die sets either. ; ~)

TX Nimrod

The new guy in town walks into the LHS and asks where he can get the best steak in town. The old codger sitting by the potbellied stove tells him that what he really wants is fried chicken……

RC20

My experience with the Forster dies are on par with the RCBS, no general issues.

I did run into the floating shaft and some 06 that had a tad of a crimp left, it broke (I had fialed to read Forsers manual complelty and I did not know those miltary crimp caes were in the batch anyway, got mixed in)

That said, I had some serious issue with the Forster on the 6.5 120gr Lapua bullets. Upshot was the tips were spreading the seater and spread it and then seaized up (fled down and fine).

RCBS was fine with Lapua bullets. Flip is the Forster seats the Hornady ELDM better.

I like the Forster Micrometer adjust if I can get it.

No idea on Redding but overall I am good with the Forster but also good with RCBS (my 7.5 Swiss was hard to get with a match die set, ergo RCBS there)

I would take Redding, RCBS or the Forster all in match die with the lower cost of RCBS and Forster being my go to.

lugerstew

I had so many forster seating dies split on me, they sent me replacement seating stems, but they split also, these were .243 and .223, I just gave up on them. I don't know anything about their sizing dies.

101combatvet

Short version: Are forster dies bad, okay, or excellent? Should I buy them?

Long version: There are plenty of "my dies are better than yours" threads here, but this is a little different. Due to scarcity of ammunition or components, this is not the best time to adopt a new cartridge, but I've been shooting my son's ruger american, chambered for 6.5 grendel, and I fell in love with the cartridge. The grendel is efficient, accurate, and doesn't detach retinas or loosen dental fillings. Plus it would work well on smaller texas white tails. So I just purchased a Howa mini 1500, chambered for 6.5 grendel.

I normally buy redding dies, but the redding 6.5 grendel dies are selling from midway for about 125 $. That's a pretty big hit. Then I saw some forster dies for about 105 $. I've used just about every brand of die, EXCEPT for forster. I think I would like to have something different and try a set. Forster's come with a different "benchrest" seating die, which looks intriguing.

So...any comments, evaluations or experiences with forster dies will be helpful.
I have both Redding and Forster, and they are of excellent quality.

hammie

Thanks for all the data points... many things to think about. You guys are the greatest!

@Unclenick: The detailed analysis and links were much appreciated.

@TXnimrod: Thanks for the humor. I needed a laugh. Although sometimes it's nice to know all your options.

@RC20: Thanks for the reminder about RCBS. A standard RCBS die set is an attractive option for 45$. Plus for 30$ more I can get a Lyman tungsten carbide neck expander which will fit the RCBS dies, versus 40$ more for the redding carbide neck expander. I like the carbide neck expanders: less stretching, easier effort and no lube.

Right now I'm leaning toward the forster dies. Something different. My wife got me a Steyr Zephyr II for Christmas, and so the December gun budget is spent. (She has the Steyr hidden someplace. Can hardly wait until next weekend.) Anyway I won't be ordering the dies until January. Still a little time before making a final decision.

Last edited:

hounddawg

I own a couple of Forster micrometer seating dies and they are fine. Of course the RCBS and the Frankord Arsenal seating dies I own are also fine. In fact I have I have a half a dozen different brand dies my bench from Lee to custom made Whidden dies and other than fit and finish they all seem to do the job.

The dirty little secret is all sizing dies are cut using a through reamer, that is to say the body and the neck portions are cut at the same time with one reamer.

The few seating dies I had a issue with was because the concave portion of the seating stem was not deep enough and instead of hitting the ogive portion of the bullet it was hitting the meplat. I just took a small (1/16th??) bit in a hand drill and made the hole a bit deeper so the stem hits the bullet on the ogive.

RC20

Also check the die availability. I had to wait 3 months for the 6.5 x 47 (granted its not a real mainstream cartridge )

I usually get two sets, RCBS and Forster. I have dinged up dies and broken stems etc so the RCBS are my keep me going and I usually take the RCBS seater to the range so I can adjust COAL.

hammie

@RC20: Good idea. When I started this quest a few weeks ago, Midway showed the RCBS, Redding, and Forster 6.5 grendel dies as available. Now the RCBS dies are out of stock. Sign of the times. It appears that if you want or need something, buy it now because later it may not be available or, if available, then it will cost more. I may need to revise my purchasing schedule.

kilotanker22

I have one set of Forster dies, and many other dies from Hornady, RCBS, Lee, and Redding. The Forster seating die, as previously mentioned, seat ELD Match bullets well.

The Benchrest sizing die is great. Interior finish on the Redding and Forster sizing dies were about equal. I lapped the interior of both and they are much better now. The way the expander ball works in the Forster sizing die does very well at keeping case necks concentric to the case. This us because the case body is still supported as the expander ball is pulled through the neck. If not adjusted correctly, the sizing die will crush cases. Forster includes an easy-to-follow set of instructions for die setup.

Overall, I prefer my Forster Benchrest die set to all the others. Although, I have twelve sets of RCBS dies and all of them had a better interior finish than all the rest. Maybe I am just lucky, or RCBS is putting out really nice dies for not a lot of money.

Nathan

IME, Forster are a great die. The have several unique design traits that make them one of the best dies.

First, the FL die is not a bushing die. That makes for better concentricity. The reason others use bushings is for reduced neck working. Forster offers die honing to set your size, once you determine the right size.

In addition the fl die is still holding the neck when the expander starts back down the expander ball to prevent the expander pulling off center. Basically, the expander is much higher in the die than other dies.

So you say….how do I adjust neck tension? They make different size expander balls for that.

My experience is this makes for very low runout….0.001” TIR. This is about 1/2 of my bushing dies.

On the bullet seating die, they make micrometer or no micrometer types. Both dies are a sliding chamber seater where the case is held in alignment to the die as it rises to seat the bullet. When the seating stem fits the bullet, I have seen very precise seating like 0.003” TIR at the tip.

I consider them top tier dies. I have and do use Redding, Whidden and Hornady custom shop.

zeke

Can only speak for their comp seating dies, which were purchased in calipers Redding didn't make at the time. Did compare the results between Redding and Forster comp seating die in one instance, and the redding had a slight advantage. But imo the basic Forster comp seater (without micrometer, and whatever the proper name is), is a best buy.

tangolima

IME, Forster are a great die. The have several unique design traits that make them one of the best dies.

First, the FL die is not a bushing die. That makes for better concentricity. The reason others use bushings is for reduced neck working. Forster offers die honing to set your size, once you determine the right size.

In addition the fl die is still holding the neck when the expander starts back down the expander ball to prevent the expander pulling off center. Basically, the expander is much higher in the die than other dies.

So you say….how do I adjust neck tension? They make different size expander balls for that.

My experience is this makes for very low runout….0.001” TIR. This is about 1/2 of my bushing dies.

On the bullet seating die, they make micrometer or no micrometer types. Both dies are a sliding chamber seater where the case is held in alignment to the die as it rises to seat the bullet. When the seating stem fits the bullet, I have seen very precise seating like 0.003” TIR at the tip.

I consider them top tier dies. I have and do use Redding, Whidden and Hornady custom shop.
With honed die, one may not even need expander, if the brass neck is turned to correct thickness. That probably will give rise the best concentricity.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

hammie

Just as a final follow up, I ordered and received from midway, a set of FORSTER benchrest, 6.5 grendel reloading dies. My only complaint is that they don't seem to be reloading dies, but instead seem to be works of art. I love them!

Can't find empty brass, but did find five boxes of loaded hornady 6.5 grendel (at 42$ per box...oh well). When those are shot up, I have 2 boxes of Lapua 108 grain scenar bullets to keep me going.

Thanks to all of you for steering me in the right direction. The firing line members are a "lamp unto my feet".

Shadow9mm

Have you considered making your own 6.5 Grendel from 7.62x39? Just a size and a trim as I understand it. You can get 100pcs of once fired 7.62x39 for around $35 shipped...

HiBC

Something to be aware of.

I like the Forster expander spindle. IMO,it has advantages. Just realize its possible to adjust it to create a problem.

Be sure you don't create a situation where the brass neck is held on the outside by steel while you simultaneously try to draw the expander through the neck.

If you are aware of it its obvious. Mind occupied by many things...Murphy's Law can show up.