Quality of Euroarms?

detroiter711

There is a Euroarms 1851 Navy available locally for $100. It is in the original box and appears to have never been fired. Looks to be mid-1970s production. Is it worth it or would I be better off with a Pietta from Cabelas? It appears nicely finished with a good overall fit. I would like some feedback on the internals as I am not familiar with the brand. If it is a good deal I will pick it up, but I really don't want a wallhanger or dust collector if the brand is less than reputable.

Hellgate

If it is a steel frame it is a steal. If it is a brass frame then it's still a good deal but no steal. I can only speak for Euroarms Remingtons of which I've owned eight. One's cylinder was so poorly made that the chamber/bore line up was horrible and the gun would jam tight from leading of the cylinder gap in two shots. I was able to drop in an Uberti Remington cylinder and it was good to go. The others have been between "serviceable" and quite good. I still have 7 left.

Last edited:

DPris

Member Emeritus
I have a steel Euro Remington .36 from '89.
Chambers do not align precisely with the bore, but I had the forcing cone opened up very slightly & it's an accurate shooter.
Gunsmith commented the barrel was harder steel than he was used to in repros.

Has Address Sam'l Colt stamped on the barrel.
Denis

Hawg

Chambers do not align precisely with the bore, but I had the forcing cone opened up very slightly & it's an accurate shooter.

Are you sure that's not an ASM?

detroiter711

So I picked it up last week. Overall, condition is good, but I think it has definitely been shot before. There is a bit of over travel on two specific chambers which leaves me concerned. Can this be corrected?

Hellgate

Detroiter,
Whenever I get a new used C&B I rapidly cock it to see if I get any over travel of the cylinder. If so, I slowly cock it and watch the bolt stop to see when it pops up. If it is at all late or right at the level of the cylinder notch when it pops up I will file/sand/grind the tiniest bit off the top of left wing of the bolt stop so the bolt comes up a teeny bit sooner so the bolt slides into the notch in the cylinder. It only takes a hair to correct so don't go wild on the bolt stop wing. If a more sophisitcate gunsmith has a differing opinion then let's hear it. I am merely an "advanced tinkerer" and not a formal gunsmith. The 37 or 8 C&Bs I've owned have forced me to tinker to get them running right.

gyvel

A "Remington .36" has "Address Sam'l Colt" on the barrel...

???????

DPris

Member Emeritus
I thought it was quite funny to see that "Colt" on the Remington barrel. :)
The Italian replica industry can be....strange.
Denis