Quality Mauser gunsmiths

scoobydoo6906

I am doing a bit of leg work trying to find and decide on a gunsmith to do some work on my 50's era commercial Mauser. I am looking to re-barrel it in 30-06 AI, have some accuracy work done, and finally either replace the factory trigger or have it reworked. I also plan on restocking it with a synthetic stock, and having the action bedded. I might even have the barrel threaded but yeah. So any recommendations?

hooligan1

Dave at ITnD is a quality mauser gunsmith, they built me one on a turk mauser, they use Douglas barrels.
Their out in Minerva Ohio..

4 weeks of Trinidad State JC's NRA Summer Gonne Smithing Program

Machine Shop I and II will teach you how to use a lathe and mill. The second week you barrel an action.

Conversions will teach you how to install and improve the trigger, modify the trigger guard, install a swing type safety (so it can be scoped).

Stockmaking I (if taught by Morovitzs) will teach you how to bed an action.

corsair82pilot

"Machine Shop I and II will teach you how to use a lathe and mill. The second week you barrel an action."

Tell me mote about that. Is it a program or a DVD? How can I get it?

Thanks.

TP

It's not a DVD course. It's a hands on course with access to the machines and you have to go to Trinidad, Colorado.

You spend the first week learning how to operate the machines. You make a few simple tools just to get the experience with the machines. You probably have to grind a few bits too.

In the second week, you are taught how barrel a rifle (so buy your barrel in advance). We trued our receiver face first and afterward measured the shank length (distance of receiver face to C ring minus .002 for compression). Afterward we took our barrel blank and turned it down for the shank (to do this we turned 6" of the barrel to remove the rough surface so as to give a better surface for the steady rest). Then we cut the threads on a lathe, reamed it out for the caliber of our choice, headspaced it and then cut the desired taper on the barrel. We cut a decorative crown on the lathe and then the actual crown by hand. Afterward it is polishing (we had to hand polish).

I notice that you are in Maryland. There's a NRA summer school in PA and that's a lot closer to home. You may want to look into that school too.

scoobydoo6906

Fantastic I ask for suggestions for a gunsmith and I get pointed to a gunsmithing course. While I would love to learn and do the work myself it's not practical as I have zero machining tools or knowledge.

Scorch

Scoobydoo-
There is/was a smith out in Amity. Or you can send it to me. I'm in Puyallup, WA, near Tacoma.

Do it yourself is not for everybody. If you did want to do it yourself, Lassen College is closer. I encourage everyone to learn as much as they can since learning is a lifetime endeavor.