Q. Storing A Lot Of Handguns In Safe

1tfl

I have one Browning gunsafe dedicated to storing just handguns but I'm running out of space. I have layed shelves on the entire inside of the safe to maximize the space and keep each gun laying up on one of those wire stand that looks like dishstand but it is not very efficient use of space. Anybody have a suggestion for more efficient method for storing handguns?

Sgt127

No brainer. You can now justify a bigger safe! I like the idea of storing them on racks, so they can breath, easy to find, keep them oiled etc, but, I resorted to oiling them well, Ballistol or other good quality gun oil, wrapping loosely in wax paper and storing in rigid gun cases or zipper bags. I haven't had a problem. I don't like the idea of a gun resting on any cloth, foam, carpet etc. The wax paper seems to be a good nuetral thing to lay against. And, get a Goldenrod or other dehumidifier.

Harrigan

My father attached hooks to the inside of the door and is able to store quite a few more pistols than the safes are made for. I will find out just how he managed this and let you know.

Lurch37

My father attached hooks to the inside of the door and is able to store quite a few more pistols than the safes are made for. I will find out just how he managed this and let you know.

My safes are both American Security Models and I "think" that they offer some sort of pistol rack like your describing as an accessory in their catalog/flyer. I suppose one could fabricate something like that and attach it to the door, say where the door panel is attached.

zoomie

I built my own handgun hangar and attached it to the inside of my RSC door.

I cut a piece of pegboard the size/shape of my door, attached it with sheet metal screws (I have a cheap RSC), and then hung several of these on there.

rapidalarm_1982_20304073

Harrigan

My dad's response to my inquiry;
ON MY THIN WALL SAFE, I USED POP RIVETS. ON MY THICK WALL SAFE, I BOUGHT A KIT THAT COMES WITH SIX HOLSTERS AND A SHEET OF MATERIAL THAT THE HOLSTERS STICK TO BY VELCRO. YOU CAN'T DRILL HOLES IN A THICK WALL SAFE.

NORTEXED

On my safe (thickwall fire safe), I made a frame for the inside of the door, and put a piece of pegboard on the frame to allow the rubber coated hooks to punch through. Worked great, and gave me hangars for 8 pistols.

ps: the frame wasmade of 1/2"wood trim and screwed to inner liner

Mr.RevolverGuy

2inch GP100 On Safe Door

I got this idea off of another forum. Basically pegs you can get from any crafts store. This picture is not the best but should give you an idea. I called my safe company first to make sure it would be ok to drill the door making sure it would not void warranty. They said go for it a lot of people do it and it will not hurt the safe. They even gave me the idea to use plastic wall anchors to make it more sturdier. A slight tilt up and they slide right out without stressing the pegs and the wood will not scratch the stainless. I even went as far to put foam padding with tape backing from crafts store on the pegs as well. I even matched the foam to the color of my safe door. They had all different colors. This is an older picture and it shows the pegs without the foam.

GPSafeDoor.jpg

Harrigan

I can't provide a picture but if memory serves my dad's peg board set up was just basic s-hooks through the trigger guards.

kirkcdl

Similar situation here,and no room for a bigger safe.What I did in my Stack-on(small,designed to add on to the larger rifle safe),was to find the shelf liner that resembles expanded metal,but in a foam-type material,and I have lined up my pistols,slide down,side by side.So far,I have 37 handguns on 3 shelves,with room for about 10 more.Because the safe is in a position where it will not move,I figure there will be minimal or no contact wear from the guns leaning(slightly,grip end) on each other.I do have a couple dessicant packs in there also,just to keep the rust potential at a minimum...

Here's a link to the type of add-on I have: http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus/pistol_ammo/gc-900-5.html

I did a similar thing to what many people do with the wooden spools, but I did it up the bakside of the safe.

I also pulled out all the stock shelves and built in my own adjustable system and doubled the amount of shelves. I can still add more if I chose to in the future.

safes.jpg

Seiko

Pistol racks are a must.
You can make something like mine for almost nothing.
I made a few of these for my pistol safe. Didn't get fancy or anything, but you could cover them in cloth.
I would have rather used round holes, instead of the square and V. But I didn't have a big enough hole saw sitting around.

2135484545_8ee3bea7e4_o.jpg

2139953458_3e20cb1cca.jpg

NetJnkie

They sell metal racks similar to the wood above this post. That's what I use. They aren't much and use the space much more efficiently.