Q on Steyr M9 trigger pull

mooreshawnm

Looking for a full sized 9mm and am very interested in the Steyr M9A1. One of my many questions about the pistol is how is it's trigger pull compared to an XD (Have an XD9SC so I am judging all plastic guns by it's trigger)? I have ruled out a Walther P99 as my next purchase due to it's poor feeling trigger. Would I feel the same with a Steyr?

Thank You
Shawn

woad_yurt

My friend bought a Steyr not too long ago. I wish I could remember the model. I had never even held a Steyr before we went to the range that day. It had a great trigger. The sights were a bit out of the ordinary but it took very little time to get accustomed to them. It was a really pleasant gun to shoot and it was really easy to hit what I was aiming at.

Note: The above opinion was written by someone who knows nothing about Steyrs other than that he liked the one he shot.

mr kablammo

The Walther P99 is made with two styles of trigger. The Quick Action (QA) is short and stiff with a wider trigger than the Steyr. The Anti-Stress (AS) trigger is longerrrr pull but with less resistance. Do you remember which one you did not like? Or have you tried both?

In comparison to the XD trigger, the Steyr will be similar but with a more crisp yet smooth break. I believe the pull is a bit shorter. The trigger is not at all heavy or stiff. Having a Steyr trigger in an XD frame would be an ideal combo.

briang2ad

Maybe I'm the wrong person to ask...

If you get one that does not "stack", it is the best OTB trigger on any polymer gun (striker fired). Mine stacks - after normal take up it breaks once, then breaks again - no amount of polishing on the striker guide rod or dry firing will clean it up. Worse yet, it varies sometimes as to how much it stacks. When it doesn't stack it is GREAT. Despite all this, it is pretty accurate, but the trigger bugs me. I'm NOT the only one with an M9 like this, but most don't seem to have this problem on the Steyr Club.

Keltyke

The wife and I own 5 Steyrs, the S & M-A1 models in both 9mm and .40 S&W. All have smooth 3.5 pound trigger pulls. No stacking noticed. Darn fine piece!

briang2ad

The wife and I own 5 Steyrs, the S & M-A1 models in both 9mm and .40 S&W. All have smooth 3.5 pound trigger pulls. No stacking noticed. Darn fine piece!

Did they come with 3.5 LB triggers? That is 2 LBS BELOW spec, and for ME, way too light for a carry piece with essentially a SA trigger with a trigger safety. Anything on these striker fired guns (especially the Steyr with its short take up) less than 4.5 seems light to me.

ImDisaster

...no amount of polishing on the striker guide rod or dry firing will clean it up.

Did you try polishing the outside of the striker itself? I found mine had a machining burr. The Steyr, unlike other striker designs, presses the striker hard into the striker channel during the trigger press. Any burr at all will cause the striker to catch and the efforts to go through the roof...especially if you are pressing the trigger very slowly.

I posted my experience and the fix here.

http://www.steyrclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4543