Q on springfield armory's 1911 ILS

2002gti

im looking to get a trophy match and it comes with a speed chute. is the mainspring housing/chute all one unit like the smith alexanders chutes or are
they 2 separate units, i would like to swap the mainspring unit out for a non-ILS piece. would that be all i needed to do to defeat the ILS? tia

Jim Watson

Picture on the SA website looks like one I saw on the range which was a two-piece with the funnel screwed to the bottom of the mainspring housing.

The cheap way to defeat the ILS is to buy a standard mainspring, mainspring cap, and mainspring cap retaining pin and put them in the ILS MSH. The key lock will still be there but can be ignored. Use about a 19 pound mainspring and it will take about half a pound off your trigger pull with no other change. Or it did mine, at any rate.

Or you could buy a Smith-Alexander and the internals and just change out the whole assembly... for about ten times the price.

2002gti

cant i also get a new mainspring housing so i wont have to look at the ILS hole and keep the stock funnel?