Q about Browning Hi-Power safety

taco

Did original Browning Hi-powers (P-35) made by FN back in 1930's have magazine safety or did it come later?

Tecolote

The magazine safety was requested by potential military customers in Europe. It's been a feature since day one. At least that's what I remember but I'm sure someone with more knowledge can clear this up quick.

Dave R

If I remember the article in American Rifleman correctly, the mag disconnect has been in and out, but mostly in, and only out for a few years' production.

mjby

"Legend has it" that the original Brownings were ordered for use by (Belgian) cavalry and had a magazine safety so that they could be carried with a round chambered. The trooper would have to insert a mag in order to operate the weapon.

The magazine disconnect was a requirement of the French military contract that the original Hi-Power was designed to compete for.

The only example I can think of off the top of my head where the disconnect was removed from the design at the factory was during WWII the Nazis did away with the disconnect as a cost-saving/labor-saving measure.