Python question

hoghunting

I'll be looking for a Python at this weekend's gun show. I know that during the late 80's into the 90's Colt was having financial problems and moved the Pythons out of the Custom shop into their production line. I want to avoid purchasing a pistol made during that time. Does anyone have a serial number range of Pythons made during that time? Thanks.

Doug.38PR

http://www.proofhouse.com/colt/index.html

go down to Colt Double Action Revolvers, select Python and there you have your answer. Print it out.

While this only lists guns made up until 1978, any serial number between these years will be the gun for you. As far as guns made between 1978 and 1980 goes, I do have a Python that I believe was made in 1979 with the serial V822##. If you see a Python with a serial number higher than this number, stay away from it.

Good hunting:)

Dfariswheel

You have it backward.
During the 1990's Colt made the Python a Custom Shop item.
Before that it was always a standard production gun.

These later Custom Shop guns are usually marked with "Python Elite".

The publicly available Colt Python serial numbers end in 1985.
The last serial number range in 1985 was the "T" series.

The serials in the 80's had prefixes that stated with the following letters:
V
AL
LA
VA
K
T.

GUNKWAZY

As Dfariswheel usually points out, a Python cannot be judged based on a year it was made. It should be judged on it's own merrits.
There's no one or 2 years or specific time table as to when a Python was good or bad.
You must judge each one on it's own as you should with any other firearm.

Good luck on the hunt.
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

hoghunting

Thank you for the useful information. Now that I am informed, there probably won't be a Python at the show.:eek:

Thanks again.

gvf

Colt Forum

No offense to anyone here, but Colt Forum - Revolver section, is a very good additional resource for Python info. They live and breathe Pythons.

Doug.38PR

Thank you for the useful information. Now that I am informed, there probably won't be a Python at the show

I usually see 3 or 4 around the Houston Gun shows....but they usually aren't cheap.

But I get mine for $725 at the Pasadena Gun show