python hunting in florida?

9ballbilly

I understand there is now a month long hunting season for these snakes in Florida and have a couple questions. Other than the fact that they are an invasive species what's the point of hunting them? Is there a market for the skins? What type of firearm(s) would be appropriate? Is there a preffered hunting method for them? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Edgehill

The pythons are damaging the Everglades. They have no natural predators and are eating anything they cross, including alligators.

S&W M&P9, Bodyguard 380, Tarus PT709 Slim
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buggley

a .22 is probably ideal. snakes dont move like most game animals do. i would imagine you could get within 25 yard before they even payatention to you. the hide would be cool to have but the meat would be good too. i bet it taste like rattler but it would be bigger

Doyle

I think you are misunderstanding some things. You can kill a python in Fl any time without regard to any special season - they are a non-protected invasive season.

The special one month season is just for areas where hunting is not normally allowed (i.e. parts of the everglades, state owned land, etc.). For those hunts, you won't be carrying a weapon. It is grab the snake, stuff it into a bag, haul it back to the ranger station for disposal.

aarondhgraham

Yes, there is a market for the hides,,,

Python skin boots are very popular and very expensive.

In the mid 90's I managed a Tandy Leather store,,,
We sold python skin by the yard,,,,
IIRC it went for $59.95/yard.

I would use a .410 and try to hit them about 6" behind the head,,,
You have the skull which sells well and lots of skin for projects.

Aarond

P.S. I once sold a western gunbelt with python inserts for $1,200.00,,,
There was also a lot of carving, turquoise, and silver on it,,,
But the python skin called the price.

Yep, there's a market for the skins.

9ballbilly

Thanks for the info guys.

Doyle: Do you mean it's legal to take them with a firearm at anytime of year as long as you're in an area that normally allows hunting?

Also, would my .177cal pellet rifle at 1,000fps be a reasonable choice?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Legal anytime, anyhow when feral snake hunting on private property.

The pellet gun? Head shots on little ones, maybe. But they range from three or four feet on up to fifteen feet or more and can weigh a couple of hundred pounds, easily.

You can also have fun with the monitor lizards, down around Fort Myers. :)

Hansam

It is grab the snake, stuff it into a bag, haul it back to the ranger station for disposal.

With the size that these snakes can grow to be I'm not sure I'd want to grab a live snake, stuff it into a bag and haul it back to the ranger station for disposal.

I'd rather shoot it or if a firearm was not allowed spear the dang thing then grab, stuff and dispose.

In any case there IS a market for snake skin and I don't know about others but I happen to like snake meat.

insomni

lmao a pellet gun for a snake?? those aren't garters you're talking about...

most of the people I know who go after Rattlers go with a .410 for the close range power and spread.

I figure some sort of shotgun blast to the head would do a python in.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I'm really doubtful that it's a grab-a-snake deal in the limited-hunt state lands. I'd have to see that from the Fla wildlife rulebook.

9ballbilly

I'll be relocating there in a few weeks so I'm really interested in hunting opportunities on state owned land. Up here in NY the only snakes I've run across were easily dispatched with a load of .22lr or .22mag. birdshot. Although I have no plans to try and tackle pythons bare-handed I would be interested to know if they can be taken on state owned land legally.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
"...if they can be taken on state owned land legally."

Yes, but there is a specific season. The Fla wildlife folks have a website with all their rules and regs.

Doyle

With the size that these snakes can grow to be I'm not sure I'd want to grab a live snake, stuff it into a bag and haul it back to the ranger station for disposal.

I'd rather shoot it or if a firearm was not allowed spear the dang thing then grab, stuff and dispose.

Yep, those are the rules. Hunters particpating in this special hunt are given a training session for handling them.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Doyle, I'll take your word for it. But what those rules say to me is that those who wrote them don't believe that the snakes are any sort of serious problem. Those rules do not allow any serious reduction in the snake population.

kilimanjaro

The people writing the rules are apparently more concerned about Bubbas with guns than they are about invasive species destroying the ecosystem. They must not know about the Bubbas being their fellow citizens and the species being a snake....

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
It would be easy enough to limit the deal to shotguns, which would be more effective than rifles or handguns. Gun-hunting in Florida has not been a major health hazard for a century or two...

9ballbilly

The intent of my OP was to gain some knowledge of hunting on public land in Florida, especially invasive species. Toward that end I have two more questions. The Twelve mile swamp area looks to be the closest area to where I'll be. Does this area contain a huntable population of feral hogs and nutria? According to the info on the WMA website a $625 area use permit is required as well as a hunting license. Does anyone know if this is correct? It seems very expensive to me, particuarly if it is an annual fee. I'd like to hear from any members familiar with the area or hunting areas nearby that would be less expensive. I have no experience hunting in Florida so any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Doyle

Art, remember that this special hunt is only for areas that are also full of "tourists". On lands outside of those special areas, pythons are totally open for anything you want to throw at them.

9ballbilly, 12 Mile Swamp is not a WMA. It is a Cooperative Area. That means that it is privately owned and the owner is allowing limited public access controlled by the FWC. Yes, the fee is relativly large but it is for the entire hunting season. People who participate in hunts on these kinds of land think of it as an alternative to getting into a lease/club (something that is EXTREMELY expensive in most of FL). There are only a very limited number of "slots" on each of these cooperative units so don't count on being able just to walk in and pick up one. If you want to hunt when you come on vacation you'll probably be better off getting aa guided pig hunt on one of the ranches. Those usually run a couple hundred bucks (unless you kill a "trophy" boar).