Pyrodex and WAL-MART

johnbt

I made one of my very infrequent trips to WAL-MART yesterday. Should they be keeping the Pyrodex on the bottom shelf (ankle level)of the blackpowder accessories display where anyone can reach it or shoplift it? Just to be clear, it was not behing the counter. John

Oatka

Doesn't sound too swift. I would think powder, especially Pyrodex or it's equivalent, should be locked up or at least be behind the counter. Much easier to cause problems with loose powder than ammo.

Maybe it depends where you are. Out here in Southern Utah/Nevada, the Wal-Mart has boxes of on-sale shotgun and rifle ammo at the end of the aisles facing the gun counter. Nobody was at the counter when I was checking things out, so somebody could have easily pocketed a box or pilfered a few rounds.

I would mention it to the manager as a friendly suggestion. Some little weasel could make a bomb real easy. They probably don't know squat about storage.

johnbt

Thanks. I thought maybe they were making smart powder now. I'm in Virginia and WAL-MART keeps some shotgun shells out on the aisle too, but up four feet or so. All I could think of was some 7 or 8-year-old interested in making things that go boom and seeing a way around making gunpowder with the chemistry set or hoarding kitchen matches. How much trouble would it be to pour a couple of bottles worth in your pockets and walk home? In the 50's you could buy firecrackers here...but it was my friends that did it, honest. John

foxfire

You could always ask Clinton for some of his idiot-proof gun locks.
They seem to be the current cure-all for the evil that surrounds the world of firearms... :rolleyes:

------------------
...defend the 2nd., it protects us all.
No fate but what we make...

andyb

Hey, John ... I'm in VBeach. TV @ 6PM had some group in York County handing out gun locks as their hope for the future. A gun store person showed the camera how easy it was to prepare for defense. Took close to thirty seconds to get that lock and cable off a revolver ... 'course he already had the key handy. New lock, new key - it took a bit. Maybe with breaking in he'd get it in - 20 seconds - huh?

AB

bergie

Gee, the Walmart near here didn't even carry loose Pyrodex except in the little "convenience" clamshell package of 20 bullets, some caps and 4 oz bottle of pyrodex. They had a display of bp rifles and accesories but no bottles of it, only pellets. They clearanced out all of the accesories early this spring and I picked up quite a few things for less than 25% of their regular price.
bergie

animal

Geez, lighten up. The "re-normalization" of firearms/ammo is a nice thing in my eyes. It ain't that big a deal to have pyrodex out in the open. You light up a can and it'll go poof, make a big stink, and maybe start a fire. To get an explosion you have to have suitable containment. I'm not sure of the specs. on Pyrodex but I do know that it's less explosive than regular black powder.
If some nutcase wanted to cause a real problem in Wally World; he could go to the cleaning aisle, cut open all the jugs of Clorox and ammonia, and dump 'em on the floor. Then he could stroll over to the camping section and set fire to the Coleman fuel.(At our local store the Coleman fuel is on the shelf directly under the propane bottles.) The paint dept. has lots of flammable materials too.
Potential danger is everywhere ... don't sweat it. :)

pax

Yeah, but the thing is, if some nutcase decided to dump ammonia and bleach into the aisle at the local Wally World, there wouldn't be other nutcases lobbying for a ban on cleaning supplies in this country.

It's to our benefit that folks see that firearm enthusiasts are responsible people, who can keep their stuff safe without a bunch of laws and regulations.

------------------

". . . for even in a nightcap a wolf does not look any more like your grandmother than the Metro-Goldwyn lion looks like Calvin Coolidge. So the little girl took an automatic out of her basket and shot the wolf dead." -- James Thurber, Fables For Our Time