PX4 Decocker Conversion

HighValleyRanch

I just got my Beretta PX4 full-size. Love it!
Lucked out here in CA as the one they shipped ended up being a G model (decocker only).
But from all the videos that I've seen you can just keep the same levers and pop out the ball and spring detent and you have the decocker only.
This guy has the best videos on removing the levers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XPPoIKHU4U&list=PLSo4k-uw2NEvxUFXL6lKOdwt1cCVfN37g&index=3

Will be ordering the stealth levers for mine, but as it's mostly for range training now, the stock levers are not bothering me.

Last edited:

wild cat mccane

Effort is not much if the answer.

Don't buy the stealth lever just yet.

There are thinks about the PX4 that are either going to be big plus or minus for you and the decocker shape won't be the top of list.

I've gone to buy the PX4 many times. Love the love. It is however chunky. The grip angle is very straight up and down in the hand. If you search, there was an unfixed "two reset points" that are video documented.

If you get it, post up pics. They are handsome for sure.

Paul105

If I can do it, anyone can. You tube is your friend. Wish you could do the same with the Ruger SR22 as safety is backwards as well.

Paul

Cosmodragoon

Try the stealth decocker. I remember being amazed at how much the stealth levers streamline the gun, both in terms of aesthetics and carry.

wild cat mccane

While the APX which wasn't terribly popular got a gen2 update, Beretta totally gave up on the PX4.

The APX put the APX Beretta competition green striker assembly in. This shows that Beretta is capable of putting their own "enhancement" parts in to a gun and selling it as the new stock gun.

The stealth PX4 are the levers that should come stock on all PX4s. It's kinda lame they only stick them on their painted "Carry" version.

TunnelRat

I've gone to buy the PX4 many times. Love the love. It is however chunky. The grip angle is very straight up and down in the hand. If you search, there was an unfixed "two reset points" that are video documented.

Do you have a webpage/video of this? I look at a Compact Carry recently and there were times that the trigger would reset at one point, and times when it would reset almost all the way forward. I couldn’t seem to figure out why the reset point was changing (cycling the slide the same way each time). Initially I assumed someone had installed a LTT trigger bar and done a poor job, but if it’s something else that would be good to know.

HighValleyRanch

While I have read of a few instances of this variable reset, I do not believe that it is too common. My new PX4 full-size has a constant reset and pretty nice trigger right out of the box. One can always upgrade to a Langdon drop in match trigger assembly as well with the Langdon bar for not too much money.
I plan to carry mine, so will leave the trigger stock.

wild cat mccane

I have long wanted a PX4. But I never once read about a PX4 part updated. "px4 false reset" gets video and posts across time.

I do not believe the LTT trigger bar is a fix, from what I've read, nor is it is stated to be the fix.

For example, 3 months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ndT3P9QsY

The short trigger pull is not the right pull length, so that's what has stopped me.

HighValleyRanch

LOL, one in 2016 and one in 2024 out of thousands of PX4 sold. I'd say that it is not a common occurrence. Anyways, not something I am fretting over much.

It is bulky, but feels much more ergonomic in my hands than my Glocks as it is not as square, blocky and has a nice tapered top slide and rounded grip. I am not noticing the different grip angle. The front strap is the same, but depending on which backstop you put on can change the angle of the backstop, but it seems to come right to point on sight when coming from presentation for me.

I am working with a method to carry it comfortably.

wild cat mccane

No. I hear you for sure. It's a fair point.

I want a new hammer fired polymer. I've followed the PX4 since it came out. It's like the one I want that I can't buy.

That said, I doubt the PX4 is all that popular then and now.

So the number reports of issues doesn't do enough for me to brush it off.

Frankly, TunnelRat observing it in the wild on the newish Carry model confirms it in my mind as a trusted source.

Just something to know of, one of the 4 issues I listed I said that keep me from finally buying one.

Last edited:

HighValleyRanch

I read a ton of stuff before buying one, and watched just about every YT video.
This thread on Pistol Forums is a very long read, but well worth reading if you are even considering one to see how much of a cult following there is for this under rated pistol.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?25341-Beretta-PX4-Storm-Underrated-is-an-Understatement!

I would buy the compact model, except that it is not on the CA roster, and haven't found a used one for sale, so went ahead and got the full-size.

TunnelRat

FWIW the pistol I examined was a USED 2019 Compact Carry. I dry fired the heck out of it in a store with the employee because we were both confused about what we were seeing/feeling. I think I failed to mention the used part, but that is why my initial thought was some kitchen table gunsmith had attempted to do a part install that had gone poorly. Seeing what wild cat wrote made me wonder if maybe it was that way stock.

I have bought LTT parts, and parts from other companies, that despite being advertised as “drop in”, were not in fact drop in on my particular example due to variances in part dimensions. I thought about asking to see the case to see if the original parts were in there, but it was near closing time.

TunnelRat

It might also be a possibility that dry firing does not actually simulate what would happen in live firing.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? It has not been my experience that cycling the slide manually with the trigger held to the rear has resulted in varying reset points on the dozens of other pistols I have owned, assuming the pistol and its parts are in spec. Many of those were hammer fired DA/SA pistols, including the full-size PX4 in 40SW that I owned previously (a while ago now). Even the gun store employee with whom I was interacting suggested I not purchase the pistol due to what we were seeing. If I had to bet on what I witnessed being a function of a botched trigger job or an in spec pistol that had a varying reset that can’t be duplicated in live fire, I know on which I would personally bet.

Last edited: