Px4 40 thoughts?

milky7272

I am thinking of buying a beretta px4 40. Any thoughts on this gun? Is it reliable? Shoot very well? thanks Richard

Don P

Just as reliable as the 9mm and 45acp. A fun shooter. My PX4 40 S&W and 9mm have been trouble free. Neither is ammo sensitive. I have shot reloads, FMJ and Hollow points.

wbw

I went to Bass Pro to look at the PX4 in 9. Seeing it in person, it was a little chunkier and blocky than I liked. I ended up getting a Stoeger (Beretta) Cougar which is the same as the Beretta Cougar. It's a little smaller and less blocky than the PX4. It has the rotating barrel like the PX4.

Stoeger is owned by Beretta. When Beretta stopped making the Cougar they sent all their equipment from Italy to Turkey and started making the Stoeger Cougar. It's the same as the Beretta only it costs a good bit less and it doesn't say 'Beretta'. The parts are interchangeable and it uses Beretta mags.

I pick mine up tomorrow. It's a nine but they also make it in .40. If the PX4 turns out to be too chunky for you, take a look at the Stoeger. They can be gotten new for a little more than $400.

Edited to add that my research of the PX4 netted a lot of positive results. Sounds like a winner. It was just too blocky for me.

Win

Mine is ammo sensitive. I have maybe 400 rounds through it at this point.

On Monarch (Academy brand) 40S&W, mine will jam about every third or fourth round. It just doesn't seem to have enough energy to reliably cycle the gun. This ammunition works fine in my Hi Point JCP .40. The Storm does seem to shoot fine with Winchester and other stronger loads. It also has a good, quality, feel in the hand, seems very well built, and is easy to strip and clean.

I just got into firearms at the end of August, and have bought about fifteen or sixteen handguns of varying quality levels since then. The Px4 Storm .40 is my least favorite. Maybe I just don't like .40. The Storm and the JCP are the only .40's in the bunch (so far).

I have a Px4 compact in 9mm (wife's) and a Cx4 carbine in 9mm and like those just fine.

milky7272

Thanks guys, I am thinking of trading with a friend on mine. It seems to be a good full size carry/ truck gun. I need to get out and shoot it. Thanks