Putting the daughter to work pressing shells

Waterengineer

Jim (and others):

You may recall from other threads my teenage daughter purloined my Benelli Super Sport, calling it her own and taking it with her to school. BigJim suggested putting her into servitude reloading shells when she got home from college this summer - as a "lesson" for taking my gun.

I thought that sounded like a pretty good idea. So...........

Tonight, I broke it to her that she needs to have 4,000 shells loaded before going back to school in the fall. After some hemming and hawing she agreed. We will see how this works out. I will chime in occasionally as the work progresses, and perhaps I will have a guest writer......

Now all I have to do is round up the stuff to put her to work. I've got some stuff but not near enough.

The best part is I've got my gun back....for at least the summer.

Last edited:

crowbeaner

I hope you have a bunch of shot made; it's still $40 a bag at Gander. 4000? I loaded around 2500 last fall, and my kid didn't offer to pull the press handle ONCE. He offers to shoot them though; and I told him he's gotta load them this time. Hell, it's like pulling teeth to get him to clean his room; maybe the thought of reloading will induce him to put out more effort. Yeah, right. CB.

oneounceload

I taught my kids to load when they were 6....if they wanted to shoot, they had to load........shot is $16 for reclaimed and $20 for local shot...........

if ya wanna shoot, ya gotta load.......

zippy13

Waterengineer
Let's see... 4,000 shells is like 4,500-oz (assuming 1 1/8-oz loads) or just 11 1/4 bags of shot.

FYI: My club sells recycled (totally re-manufactured) range shot for $18 per 25# bag to its members.

oneounceload

.I'm more worried about finding primers.

THAT, as I understand it, has now found its way into the shotgun world.....I am hearing on other threads that pistol and rifle primers are starting to appear, so maybe they stopped 209's for a while? Or maybe they're finally starting to get caught up. Even Wolf's are scarce here in FL at the moment

BigJimP

I think its a great idea - unless she is like my kids - they reload 4,000 and shoot 8,000 ...../ but I probably did the same thing when I was their age....

After all, she'll probably want to take 50 boxes or so back to school with her / and her new gun ...

My 9 year old grandson thinks operating the hydraulic Mec loaders is pretty cool - so he loaded up about 5 boxes the other day and every little bit helps. It won't be too many years before he has enough upper body strength to start shooting a little.

But don't let my smart mouth kid you / if I need reloads / I better sit down and get it done myself ...