Putting cosmoline soaked parts in Dishwasher?

rdf.hack

Will it cause cosmoline to go everywhere? I have a mosin stock, oil bottle and a few assorted parts. Also, can I use a detergent or not?

spanishjames

I wouldn't do it. I had great results with hot water (almost boiling), and low odor mineral spirits. Not mixed together of course. I once got an SKS slathered in cosmoline. I used an electric kettle that boils water for tea or soups and a large tub in the basement. The hot water was great for the barrel which is too long to fit in a bucket.

All the smaller parts like the bolt and trigger assembly, went into a small pan with the mineral spirits. The cosmoline came right off after a few minutes, and I like that it gets into the smaller places. I even used the mineral spirits on the stock with a towel.

The hot water will make a mess, and leave a cosmoline ring in whatever tub you choose to use. I used a cheap plastic tub I had lying around. Just make sure you oil up everything after using the hot water to prevent rust.

Be careful if you use an electric kettle to boil water. Besides the electical hazard, you can ruin it if you pour cold water into it immediately after pouring out some hot water. I broke one after about the fifth time of doing just that. Luckily it was a cheap $10.00 one, but my wife did want it replaced.

Ledbetter

I soaked oil out of a Garand stock with hot water and simple green. I lined a cardboard box with a trash bag and let it soak, renewing the water when it got cold.

For metal parts, I prefer 100% mineral spirits (not Varsol or paint thinner).

ZeSpectre

Putting cosmoline soaked parts in Dishwasher? Will it cause cosmoline to go everywhere?

Now let's stop and think about this for a minute. Would you eat a meal off of your rifle? Several? Followed up by an hour or so of licking that wood with your tongue?

Because that's not even close to the contamination you are talking about with your dish washer...you know, the thing you use for ALL of your food preparation utensils.

Howard31

Cosmolene & Dishwashers

I would not use the dishwasher for cleaning cosmolene from gun parts unless you plan on getting momma a new dishwasher. If it is fact really cosmolene the only thing that really cuts it is gasolene. In the pacific our troops used gas ,maybe because it was available or maybe just because it works. We all have a can of gas in the garage so grab the can , a stiff brush and head out into the backyard and have at it. Don't smoke and rubber gloves should be used.
I think we are the only ones actually using cosmolene. The stuff was melted and rifles were dipped. It actually formed like a black skin on it. There are a lot of preseratives in use today that are nothing more than different types of grease but they are all oil base products. I was at a show and some dealer was selling General Automotive and Artillery Grease as genuine cosmolene.
I would not use water on stocks,EasyOff oven cleaner works as well as gasolene.

Last edited:

Slamfire

I would keep industrial lubricants away from any food source or cooking utensile.

You can find data on stuff by typing in MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)

Cosmoline is not a recommended protein according to the manufacturer. :D

http://files.hubindustrialsupply.com/pdfs/msds-and-tds/065-021-055-msds.pdf

Material Safety Data Sheet
(COSMOLINE)
POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS
INHALATION:............................Irritant
INGESTION:................................Irritant
SKIN (DERMAL):.......................Irritant
OVER EXPOSURE EFFECTS:.Inhalation: Causes irritation to the respiratory tract. Symptoms may include coughing, shortness of breath. Ingestion: Causes irritation to the gastrointestinal tract. Symptoms may include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Skin Contact: Causes irritation to skin. Symptoms include redness, itching, and pain. Eye Contact: Causes irritation, redness, and pain. Chronic Exposure: No information found. Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions: No information found.

BUFF

MEK works great. Used on my SKS. Then lubed the heck out of it. Wouldn't try it on a nice gun though. May damage the wood stock finish. Car wash maybe. Dishwasher...not if the mrs catches you. You'll be eating Ramen noodles off paper plates at your new bachelor pad.

GONIF

back in 1983 I baked some painted parts in the oven. My 2nd wife came home early,and off to Sears I went to buy her a new stove .:eek:

tobnpr

Brake cleaner, or boil the metal parts (including the bolt parts) in water.

Take the stock, wrap it in some layers of newspaper, put it in a black plastic bag (Contractor Bag), and put it on the dash of your car/truck in the hot sun.

Ideal Tool

Hello, guys. If you thought this idea was dumb..It seems I read a post somewhere that someone washed his fired cases in the dishwasher! Talk about lead contamination!

madcratebuilder

I have a old roll around dishwasher in my shop for parts cleaning. I have used it for nasty cosmoline covered furniture for years, no plugged pipes. Does a good job of cleaning, the hot steaming water helps raise dents and dings from the wood. Much less damaging to wood then the strippers and other chemicals I read about for furniture clean up.

I wouldn't use it for cleaning a moderately dirty set of furniture, it's fine for the nasty ones.

If I used the house dishwasher I would be found floating face down in the local river.

tAKticool

real BAD idea and it leads to toxicness ---- toxic compounds being formed, released ,swished around, toxicness all over and around and juust pure toxicness!!!!