Putting color on front sight of pistol

Sid

I have read about people making the front sight orange so as to offer a better contrast in the opening provided in the rear sight. Can I do this with some sort of tape and if so, what kind? I have tried using orange colored fingernail polish but it also smeared all over the sides of the front sight. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to do this easily. TIA

10-96

I like the body paint touch up markers that are found at auto parts stores. They have pretty precise felt tips. Once you get them shook up and the paint flowing, dab the tip in a paper towel or a rag and gradually touch the areas where you want the paint. A couple thin layers seems to work better than one thick one.

You can use masking tape and a single edge razor blade to tape off areas you don't want paint on. Also, before you apply the paint- clean the area real well with mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, carb cleaner, starting fluid, or something of that sort and let it dry.

TMA-1

I use those cheap bottles of acrylic paint that you can get in the "Hobby Lobby" type of stores. It's not very durable, so I have to renew it every few weeks. However, this gives me a wide choice of colors, including bright neon options. If I decide to make a change, a few swipes of a fingernail is all it takes to go back to basic black.

My preference is bright orange or green.

rodfac

All of the above suggestions work well for defensive hand gun work, tho all will reflect light and give you glare which is a real group opener if you're trying for precision shooting. If you're not going to use the piece out of the holster, typewriter correction fluid is the best I've come across...I use it on several lever action deer rifles in the fall...shows up with nearly any lighting condition but you can flick it off with a fingernail..hence the caution in using it where the gun is holstered. Best Regards, Rod

Doyle

I use the bright white model airplane paint. Works great and is easily removed with a little acetone.

tdrizzle

I've had the same orange flourescent model paint on my 642 for a while. Shake well, put it on with a paper match.

Another guy I know has had good luck with flourescent green nail polish.

willmc33

I do the sites on all my snubbies's with highly contrasting neon yellow rear and neon orange front. I use nail polish my wife bought from Wal Greens. It is extremely durable and very bright. Yellow and orange is the easiest colors for me to pick up quickly. I can reccomend doing it as it works great for me.

Bailey Boat

If you plan on using the high contrast, semi transparent neon colors, undercoat with Testors flat white first. Clean the metal with denatured alcohol and apply the paints with a toothpick.

tom234

I just use blaze orange acrylic paint from WMT or Michaels. It's water base so it is easy to apply, drys fast. and is easy to clean up. Spray the metal front sight with brake cleaner first then the apply with a toothpick. 2-3 coats will do it.

Pahoo

Many ways to sking this cat !!

Currently I'm using jig-head paints. Base coat of white and top coat of CHARTREUSE (color of the month) ... :)

I use a toothpick to apply. Works well on front and rear blades as well as those little white dots, on the blades. The tip fits prefect, inside those little buggers. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

kcub

I use gold fingernail polish on blued guns, red or black on stainless or nickel.

To keep it from running over onto the sides I use little dabs of play-doh.