Put "Bonded Ivory" grip panels on my new Ruger SBH .44 Magnum

Armybrat

Looks & feels like the real thing - not bad for $28 from Altamont:

33715145d214bd04b6f06b110824182b7d94f12.jpg

TfflHndn

I'm an Altamont fan too. I put some oversize grips on a Single Seven and really like the results. Waiting for them to start making oversize grips for my flattops. When they do, I have a couple more purchases to make.

qwiksdraw

My Colt 1911 has Altamont bonded ivory grips with custom scrimshaw work. It gets a lot of ooohs and aaahs at the range.

Price is $30

COLTCOA2.jpg

Kreyzhorse

Those look great. Never heard of Altamont before, how is the fit and what exactly is bonded Ivory?

I think the aged ivory looks cool too.

Armybrat

Bonded ivory is basically epoxy plastic with real ivory dust mixed in. What kind of ivory and how much, I have no idea. They are solid and heavier than regular plastic. As mentioned, they feel like the real thing.

Mine are not an exact fit, but they can be sanded, polished, and "aged" - or so they say.

Altamont offers a lot of different style grip panels & materials for different guns.

(disclaimer - I have no affiliation whatsoever with the company - this was my first purchase from them)

Last edited:

SaxonPig

The 44 Special on the left has genuine ivory I paid $500 to have hand fitted. There was a big error made and it bugs me. The center nickel plated 38-40 has Altamont stocks that I bought for $20 at a show. They fit perfectly on the 3G Colt with no fitting. I they look pretty good even right next to real ivory.

standard.jpg

Kreyzhorse

Bonded ivory is basically epoxy plastic with real ivory dust mixed in. What kind of ivory and how much, I have no idea. They are solid and heavier than regular plastic. As mentioned, they feel like the real thing.

Great.... I set would look wonderful on my 1911.

CajunBass

I had a set on a Model 58 that looked great. However they are slick and in my opinion aren't real good for hard recoiling loads. Which wasn't really a problem for me since I almost never shoot hard recoiling loads, but is something you might want to consider.

I just got a nickel Model 28 (yes, it's a refinish). A set of those might look good on it. Ummmmmm

Armybrat

True, but I'll be shooting primarily .44 Specials, as my old wrists don't like the .44 Magnum loads much any more.

shafter

Altamont makes pretty good grips for the money. Some of them are a little too smooth unless you get the checkered ones. The fit isn't as good as custom, but it's not bad at all for what you pay.