Put a hook on a 1911 &

velocette

Cast it in front of one of your friends.
A friend of mine, a glock person, ( I forgave him) was asking me about my 1911s. He was looking for a concealable .45 auto. Obviously, my suggestion was for a compact 1911 such as my Kimber Compact Stainless II. (Officers frame, 4" Commander barrel) He hemmed & hawed until I offered to loan him my pistol. Well yesterday was his day off from work and he took my Kimber to the local indoor range. a hundred or so rounds of WW white box .45 ball ammo went downrange. He then went into the retail part of the store & bought the identical pistol (it can't be as nice as mine however) & went home with it! (He has a CCL & in Florida there's no wait for us with CCL)

Another brought back from the dark side. - - - - - - Incidentally, he traded in his glock to help pay for his new, most excellent pistol.

Mine:
Firearms8-07025.jpg

Roger

I would have stuck with the glock, but that's just me. Polymer frame pistols are more comfortable to carry to me than steel frame due to the obvious weight difference.

varoadking

I would have stuck with the glock, but that's just me.

As would have I. I certainly wouldn't have traded it for a dwarf 1911, and a Kimber at that. But, like you say, that's just me...

Don H

recision_shooter,

The Kimber Compact Stainless II has an aluminum frame and weighs 27 ounces.

varoadking,

I would feel the same way about trading a 1911 for a Glock, but different strokes...:D

dec41971

Thank you! I have 2 Polymer pistols, Berretta PX4 model F and a Walther. I like them both very much! I also have a carry Kimber Ultra Covert II.:p Most people who bash Kimber have never owned one. I thought my Polymers were cool until I shot the Kimber and was sold. Took it home same night. I didn't even like the digital cammo at first, but truth be told, I absolutely love the pistol now. Congratulations on an excellent handgun. I shot Glocks, and honestly didn't see what the big deal was. I hated the price on the Kimber, but it shot so damn well, I just had to have it. Go shoot one before you bash it. I would trade the Glock, my lovely Berretta and The Walther for the Kimber any day. But that's just me.:D First of all the Glock is so fat next to the Kimber, and like Don_H says its very light. You can't feel the difference with the Glock on that front.

sholling

Good find. I think you'll like it a lot. Be sure and use good mags with it. If possible stick with Wilsons.

QBall45

What a fantastic job! I love trying to get people to make the transition from the dark side to the light...the 1911 light that is.

Don H

Dwarf 1911, Don...with dwarf being the operative word...
Ok, I got it...like the dwarf Glocks!

FWIW, I pocket-carry a dwarf 1911 that I've put over 3,000 rounds of various kinds of factory ammo and reloads through without a single hiccup. If the dwarf Glocks are as reliable, they have the makings of fine PD arms.

velocette

My Kimber compact stainless II in the 1st post has a stainless frame, not aluminum. Loaded weight is 36 oz. (6 in the mag one up the spout, 230 gr ammo) Clean crisp 4# trigger. Aside from polishing the feed ramp, Tritium sights and the CT laser it is stock. It has been totally reliable, accurate and an easy shooter. I shoot it regularly and it is a regular carry firearm. It was purchased as a concealed carry pistol, thus the Officers frame & 4" (commander length) barrel. It is shorter, thinner and far more concealable than my Glock 22. (please don't tell anyone I own a Glock)
Remember it is a concealed carry pistol, not a combat pistol.

Roger

goose13

I have that exact same pistol the OP has, but on layaway at a local range. I'm close to having it payed off, I should have it in roughly 3-4 weeks. Can't wait, if things hadn't been so slow at work lately I would have already had it. Oh well so it goes in todays economy, I'm trying to pay it off at my own pace so I don't go broke buying it.

Don H

velocette said:
My Kimber compact stainless II in the 1st post has a stainless frame, not aluminum.
Interesting. The Kimber site http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/compactprocarry/compact_stainless_II/ shows the Compact Stainless II™ to have an aluminum frame:

Frame: Material: Aluminum
Finish: Satin silver
Width (inches): 1.28

Slide: Material: Stainless steel
Finish: Satin silver

Barrel: Length (inches): 4
Steel, match grade
Twist rate (left hand): 16

Do you perhaps have an older model?

ATW525

My Kimber compact stainless II in the 1st post has a stainless frame, not aluminum. Loaded weight is 36 oz.

If it's only 36 oz fully loaded, it's not stainless. A stainless gun in that configuration should be about 34-35 oz empty.

velocette

ATW525; With respect, my trigger pull gauge may be somewhat inaccurate (that's what I used to weigh the pistol) but after 30 years in the metalworking industry, primarily in carbon & stainless steel fabrication, I believe that I can tell the difference between aluminum and stainless steel. This pistol was purchased perhaps 5 years ago. I believe that Kimber now does not offer this model with a stainless frame.
On that same scale, my all steel match Govt model with 7 rds in the mag and none up the spout comes in at 47 oz.

Roger

Last edited:

orionengnr

If it's 36 oz loaded, I have to believe it is an aluminum alloy frame.
My 230 gr rounds weigh 3/4 oz each, plus the mag. That would put you very close to the 27 oz stated on the Kimber site.

IIRC, a steel framed Commander is around 36 oz empty.

That said, I have owned four of the alloy framed Kimbers (3" and 4" barrels) and three with steel frames (4" and 5" barrels) all of them have been superb in reliability and accuracy.

Oh yeah, I also used to own and attempted to carry several double-stack Glocks. After shooting my buddy's Kimber at the range one afternoon, that was the beginning of the end of my Glock ownership experience... :)