Purchased a new GP 100

CZ_

4" barrel, stainless, adjustable sights. I checked out the display model, and after being satisfied the that action and trigger were good I bought it. Unlike the majority of GP100s, this one actually has a good double action trigger pull! :eek: These are great guns nonetheless, and I am glad to be able to get another one before the new laws.

In addition, before the new handgun licensing laws of 2003 Kalifornia, I also plan to pick up either a Single Six or Bearcat once the 30 day handgun per month wait BS is over.

CZ_

^I agree. I have a S&W 686 Plus revolver with 6" barrel that I love, but even so I prefer all my Ruger revolvers to it. The S&W 686 Plus has the superior action, but IMO the Rugers beats it in all other areas.

Arub

My GP has a double and single action pull, force and smoothness equivalent to my Smith 686. How many GPs did you try before you concluded that most have poor trigger pulls?

CZ_

My GP has a double and single action pull, force and smoothness equivalent to my Smith 686. How many GPs did you try before you concluded that most have poor trigger pulls?

I've owned three (still own two) GP 100's. I've probably shot close to a dozen different GP 100's throughout the years. They've all had heavy double action triggers (most feel 14 lbs or more), and more times than not they are NOT smooth pulls out of the box. OTOH, in single action mode GP 100 triggers are quite good (crisp, reasonable amount of weight). Just my observations; I'm certainly happy that this GP 100 has a reasonable DA trigger pull out of the box (it felt 12 poundish, but was fairly smooth).

fastbolt

You guys keep this up and you're going to make me want to buy a GP100 to put alongside my older Service Six Heavy Barrel ... and I still need more accessories for my Road Star motorcycle! :cool:

I own one GP100, but I also own a whole bunch of S&W revolvers. I take my GP trigger over any of them, well not the model 28, but all the rest of them. I read endlessly about the bad triggers on Rugers; I must have got real lucky because out of the dozen or so .357s I own, my GP would be the last one to go and the first one I grab when I am looking for something to shoot.

joelno

Just picked this one up the other day

site1040.jpg

Great trigger right out of the box.

CZ_

^Pretty. I like the black grip panel inserts, as opposed to the factory wood ones (the wood in the factory inserts LOOKS CHEAP). What is your grip panels made of? Black Micarta?

Sisco

Lightly sand the factory panels and apply ten coats or so of tung oil. Makes the grain really stand out. I'll post a photo as soon as I can take one.
The micarta ones dooo look good though!

bela

gp100-double action

Excuse me, but I like a heavy but smooth double action.
Knew a man who owned a s&w mp 2" with a light super smoothed action.
One time I visited him in the hospital where he lied face down because he had perforated his right - i think buttock is the right word...

Sisco

Refinished factory grips. They actually look better than they do in the photo.

Attachments

• gpgrips.jpg
    gpgrips.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 166

CZ Gunner

CZ ... sounds like a perfect time (and reason) to increase your credit limit .. (ha.ha) ....

P.S. Good purchase .. I LOVE my GP 100 too!

Baron Holbach

Ruger GP100 .357 magnum

I have fired hundreds of rounds through my
stainless, 4-inch Ruger GP100. I find that accuracy is best when using .38 special ammo.

Very cool idea with the refinished or replacement grip inserts. I really love the factory grips on these GPs. They are possibly the only factory grips I have ever really liked. Sprucing them up a little with different inserts is a neat idea.