Punta Gorda S&W

publius

Why do some people not like the Punta Gorda S&W's. I have a pinned Model 36 that is beautiful, Was my Grandfather's. He might have put 50 rounds through it and I may have shot about 50 also so admittedly it hasn't been tested for longetivity and ruggedness. It seems to be just as well made as my old P&R guns though. ???

carguychris

Punta Gorda is a city in SW Florida. Bangor Punta was a holding company that used to own S&W. :p

OK, now that we've got that established... ;)

During the Bangor Punta ownership era, S&W introduced many changes that were intended to save money, such as non-pinned barrels, non-recessed Magnum cylinders, less-fancy stock checkering, and cheesy-looking one-piece boxes. Many collectors also feel that S&W quality control slipped during this time period; although most agree that the quality of the Bangor Punta guns was equal to the earlier ones on a good day, many feel there were a lot more bad days. :( However, S&W definitely made many great guns during this era.

IMHO some of it is sour grapes. First, Bangor Punta was not a gun company; IIRC their primary background was producing soap and operating railroads. S&W had previously been owned by the Wesson family and their close associates, so the mere concept of S&W being owned by a soap company was anathema to some. :rolleyes: Second, B-P diversified S&W's product line into various other police-oriented products, primarily handcuffs, but also a bunch of other assorted items. To some, this diluted their name and reputation as a gun company, although it undoubtedly earned (and continues to earn) a lot of money!

publius

leave it to me to provide a little slip up comic releif. I must have gotten one of the earlier ones since it's pinned but not recessed. I'll have to remember to look close at a bangor punta that's not pinned or recessed. Thank you for the input, never had any one explain why there not as good as the new ones.

carguychris

I must have gotten one of the earlier ones since it's pinned but not recessed.
If you're talking about the M36, it never had recessed cylinders. S&Ws in centerfire Magnum calibers had recessed cylinders until 1982, but the vast majority of S&Ws in centerfire non-Magnum calibers (.38Spl, .44Spl, .32 Long, etc.) never had them in the first place. Many, many S&W revolvers were pinned but not recessed.

To add a little more confusion, all rimfire S&W revolvers from 1935 to the present day have recessed cylinders to prevent case-head separations. Hence, many rimfire S&Ws are recessed but not pinned. :rolleyes:

Master Blaster

To add a little more confusion, all rimfire S&W revolvers from 1935 to the present day have recessed cylinders to prevent case-head separations. Hence, many rimfire S&Ws are recessed but not pinned.

.22lr cases dont have a case head, like center fire cartidges do. Recessed cylinders for rimfires are due to the fact that they are rim fires, and S&W feels it produces more reliable ignition and better accuracy.

Last edited:

Jart

It's not all Bangor Punta. AFAICT it's not even all of any specific time frame under Bangor Punta.

It's a matter of odds. If it was mid to late '70s Bangor Punta or what has been referred to as "'Nam era Bangor Punta" one would be well advised to give the article the old hairy eyeball when checking it out.

Most are just fine but S&W was way behind in shipments, some minority of dealers were charging ransom rate prices and S&W was catching the flack. Some of these "get 'em out the door NOW articles" were real stinkers. More to the point, a fair number of these stinkers were PINNED and RECESSED which some folks, to their dismay, will take as an indicator of hand finished goodness. Most are, some aren't.

Any used purchase should be checked over. Those from the dark times should be checked over twice. I won't buy a '70s BP sight unseen any more.

Just don't get blinded by the P&R and all will be fine.

publius

Thanks for all the info guys, I'll consider mine a good one, functions fine, very accurate for a snub, and beautiful finish. I doubt I'll put over maybe 100-150 rounds thru her in my lifetime so it should stay that way.

hunterwinco

Origin of the corporate name "Bangor Punta"

Many people ask us how we got our corporate name. "Bangor" comes from the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad which was once part of our company. And, "Punta" was taken from the Castro-expropriated Punta Alegre sugar company, an original element of Bangor Punta Corporation.