Punctured Primers w/ Factory Ammo?

DirtyHarold

While inspecting some of my brass from my recent chronograph outings I noticed that some of the primers were punctured. Only happened with the Hornady ammo, at least one critical defense and the others American Gunner. Has anyone else experienced this? The firing pin also looks like it has a little cavity in it. It’s definitely not “sharp”.

b80f123949ca1879b62f5660789eb0ee.jpg

e9f43dba85bad0a0112cc6bf2dc5e6ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammerhead

I had a 1911 that would pierce primers with hot cor bon ammo, but no others.
My Glock shot the cor bon with no problems.

reynolds357

While inspecting some of my brass from my recent chronograph outings I noticed that some of the primers were punctured. Only happened with the Hornady ammo, at least one critical defense and the others American Gunner. Has anyone else experienced this? The firing pin also looks like it has a little cavity in it. It’s definitely not “sharp”.

b80f123949ca1879b62f5660789eb0ee.jpg

e9f43dba85bad0a0112cc6bf2dc5e6ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The firing pin is being burnt by gas coming through pierced primers. You don't have to pierce many to start to see breech face erosion.
As to why primers piercing, it has to be pressure. I believe Hornady uses Federal Primers. Definitely not the hardest, but up to SAAMI pressure no doubt.

Last edited:

DT Guy

And once that firing pin is deformed like that, it's all the more likely to pierce more primers. I'd swap that out ASAP.

Is the gun stock, or are the springs/guide rod/other stuff changed from OEM?

Larry

Reloadron

The firing pin also looks like it has a little cavity in it. It’s definitely not “sharp”.
A result of the pierced primer. The rest of the primer appears flat as it should. Strange only Hornady ammunition but I would look at the firing pin protrusion. While not sharp you want to look at it real close because if that continues it will get worse with each round fired. If you have more of that ammunition unfired try looking at several and note the primer seating depth. Do they look normal compared to other .357 Mag cartridges?

Ron