Pump Action?

TPAW

Suddenly I've got this urge to own a pump action rifle in .308. Although I've been hunting and punching holes in paper for many years, I've never had one before.
Any suggestions as to where I should focus my sights on which one to purchase would be helpful. Price should be between $ 500.00 and $ 800.00

Thanks for your input.

Creeper

It's not like you have a lot of choices in recently manufactured rifles. The Remington 7600 and the Browning BPR... the latter being the better made and typically more accurate of the two... IMO.

C

Mobuck

A pump action is probably the worst choice possible for shooting from a rest. Since the forearm is usually a little loose and must be pumped for every shot, it will nost lay well on the front rest.
I started deer hunting with a Rem 760. At this time, the only pump I would look at would be the 76?? that takes AR mags and then only if I lived in one of the oppressive areas that restrict the ownership of a semauto.

Jack O'Conner

This local shop has 4 used but not abused Remington slide action rifles in 30-06. Prices are negotiable.

MUSSER'S Outdoors
Ephrata, PA
717 738 4800​

TR

twobit

The auction sites are a good place to find a good used Remington 760. I shot one in the 1960's as my first deer rifle. It was a .270 . I have one now in 30-06 as a hog rifle. I've always had a Remington 870 shotgun around and the operation and location of the slide release and safety button are so similar in the 760 and 870 that your muscle memory thinks they are the same. The 7600 came after the 760 and is almost identical but I prefer the older 760's.

About what was said as a pump gun and bench shooting...very true. Gun must be removed from the rest after each shot to cycle another round. Not as handy as a bolt action if all you do is bench shoot.

jaysouth

I have a 7600Police in .308 with a 16 1/2 barrel. Blasty little beast but it shoots my reloads with 180 gr. cast bullets into MOA with a scope. With the red dot that I hunt with, it delivers 2 MOA. For 20-50 yards, that is more than adequate.

When I shoot mine off a rest, I rest the bottom of the magazine on the padded rest.

To get perfect function, exxagerate the pump action. that is forcably stroke the pump handle as far back as possible, then with some energy, as far forward as possible. It is easy for newcomers to pumps to short stroke them causing a jam. Continue this consciously exaggeraged stroke until it become second nature after a 100 rounds or so.

L_Killkenny

The Remingtons are good guns, far from inaccurate and I actually work a pump faster than a lever gun. Don't let anyone fool you. They do however lose on style points, the triggers stink and personally I think they would be better with a shorter barrel than most of them came with.

taylorce1

I have to agree the two rifles I have shot in Remington pumps have been surprisingly accurate. Even have a buddy whose dad only hunts with a Remington 760 in .30-06. Sure it won't win any bench competitions but it'll kill both big and small game easily.

warbirdlover

In my early years of deer hunting in Wisconsin I used the Remingtons. I used a borrowed .308 and owned a 30-06. Both shot reasonably well but I now prefer bolt actions. For some reason Remington semi-autos are more accurate IMHO.

Big Shrek

If you don't mind diversifying...there are a few other calibers that will work quite well for deer & hog :)
All the Colt Lightning Clones floating around out there in .357/.44/45-LC...

Of course, pistol-caliber choice means you will become a better hunter, as you will need to get within 100 yards for optimal effectivness.

Que

I have a 7615P in 223 that was a police trade-in. This one has the Wilson Combat rear peep an XS front sight. I have added a Butler Creek folding stock. As others have noted it is very accurate. It is a bit difficult to shoot off of the bench with the pump, but it really isn't a bench type of rifle. As to short-stroking, it is exactly as stated above requiring a strong and deliberate pump. If I run across one in 308 I won't hesitate to add it to my arsenal.

Keg

I have an older 760 carbine in 308....It has a 3x9 Leupold compact scope....
It really surprised me of the accuracy....It has taken numerous deer and hogs....Light..accurate..fast repeat shots....What more would someone want?

jmr40

I've always liked the "idea" of the pumps. My brother owned a 7600 for a while and there is a lot to like. For a fast shooting gun, only a semi is faster for repeat shots. They are actually a much better choice than a traditional lever action. They are faster for repeat shots, they come in much more effective chamberings, are more reliable, and faster to reload. Only a bolt action is more accurate. They as a rule are very accurate, usually beating both levers and semi-autos.

But after using my brothers for a while I've decided a bolt gun is a better choice for my uses. The biggest negative is their weight. My bolt guns are between 6 lbs-7.5 lbs all up including scopes and mounts. A 7600 is 7.5lbs before optics and can be close to 9 lbs all up depending on which glass you put on it.

While a bit faster for repeat shots, not that much, and that is pretty low on my list of priorities. With practice I can get off 3 shots in under 2 seconds with a bolt gun. That is about as fast as I can get the sights back on target so I'm not sure it would help to be any faster. Plus they are SLOWER for repeat shots in the prone position or with some type of improvised rest.

If I were to get one it would be one of the carbines and fitted with a peep sight instead of optics. One of those chambered in 35 Whelen would make a good close range bear rifle.

dahermit

The Remingtons are good guns, far from inaccurate and I actually work a pump faster than a lever gun. Don't let anyone fool you. They do however lose on style points, the triggers stink and personally I think they would be better with a shorter barrel than most of them came with.
Not to mention the loose, noisy slide that is annoying when hunting. When it comes to speed of operation, that is something that I have never considered in a hunting rifle as being of any consideration inasmuch as it is almost always the first shot that does 99% of the game-getting, rendering the speed of operation in most cases moot.

Willie Sutton

A vote for the Remingron 7600 Police: One of the the most under-appreciated rifles of all time.

Gives 99% of the home defense and "practical-tactical" capability of any of the evil black rifles, without any legal problems in any jurisdiction. It's my boat-carry rifle as I travel up and down the east coast, not a legal problem anywhere, even in places like NY and NJ and MD. Great ghost-ring sights, compact, practical accuracy is excellent. Just a nice short powerful package. Fast on repeat shots, have a few 10 shot magazines and never feel like I am undergunned.

There is a .223/5.56mm version that accepts AR-15 mags. I'm sorry I did not grab one when I bought the 7600 in .308, as the store had one of each.

Willie

bamaranger

$$$$

Just saw one of the stubby police pumps in .308, the price tag was $698. Well used I might add, lots of dings. Man I liked it, but even for $100 less, I wouldn't pay that price.

Willie Sutton

J&G had them two years ago for $400, like-new police trade-ins. Dunno what they sell for now, for $400 they were a steal. That and two 10 round mags = a darned good "tactical" rifle that nobody can complain about.

Willie

Keg

Not to mention the loose, noisy slide that is annoying when hunting. When it comes to speed of operation, that is something that I have never considered in a hunting rifle as being of any consideration inasmuch as it is almost always the first shot that does 99% of the game-getting, rendering the speed of operation in most cases moot.

I have to disagree with this one.........
I carry my 760 pump deer hunting with me every year....I shoot 3 deer per year and so many hogs I can't keep count......The reason I started carrying it was for 5 fast shots for hogs......It is so handy and accurate..I use for deer too....I never know when hogs will show up while I'm deer hunting....

jaysouth

This is my deer rifle. I am hunting blinds this year in heavy cover. The TruGlo red dot is not a sight I would carry stalking the woods, but it works great in a blind. If I were likely to be hunting at greater distance, I would mount a scope on it in a heartbeat. The gun arrived from the factory with very good sights for good eyes. However, I am not longer possesed with the visual acuity that I once thought I had.

The max shot I am likely to get is less than 50 yards. I have loaded down the .308 round to a 180 cast bullet at 1900 fps. Basically, I turned my .308 into a .30-30 so I don't waste any meat. The saying goes, 'with cast bullets, you eat right to the bullet hole'

However, this 16 1/2 inch barrel will shoot a 150 Nosler Ballistic tip out to 300yards with good effect if you mount the right scope.

Sorry for the pics with the poor lighting.

7600P004.jpg
[/IMG]

The tru glo is a fine piece for the bucks, but it is very bulky.

Good ear protection is manditory for the barely legal barrel.

7600P007.jpg
[/IMG]

I bought this one last year on the internet and paid top dollar for it, it has been worth every penny.