Pump Action 22lr

KMAX

Who makes a pump action 22lr.? Anybody besides Remington and Henry? I have been sort of interested in a pump 22 since I was a kid seeing my grandpas old pump leaning up behind the kitchen door. Never got to shoot it because I was "too little" before he passed away. I remember it looking like the Henry I just looked at on-line. His name was Henry, so I may buy one based partly on that.

DealHunter

I have an old (80s) stainless Rossi 62 SA imported by Interarms that's pretty neat (takes down into 2 parts using a knob on the side). It's basically a copy of the Winchester model 62.

I think Taurus took over and started making them later on. Can't speak for the later/current models but mine works flawlessly :) I've been told the Winchesters are amazing as well, but as they're no longer made they're expensive these days...

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=418&category=Rifle

Wyosmith

Today it's Remington and Henry but a few years back Browning made one too. All I hear about them is good and you may find one for sale online if you do a search.

KMAX

I found Rossi and Taurus, who did take over Rossi. Neither is making new production pumps. I don't know when they stopped production. The 62 is interesting. I like the hammer on these and the Henry. I think I want one with an external hammer. If I go with used the Rossi and Taurus are definitely contenders at this point. I may go out looking in a little while.

FrankenMauser

The Taurus/Rossi 62 series is a copy of the old Winchester 62A (which is a simplified, cheaper descendant of the 1890, 1906, and 62).
They stopped production some time around 2010. But, the later versions were almost impossible to find in anything but the hideous nickel-plated finish.

The older Rossis weren't too bad. I own a 62SAC ("Gallery Carbine"). My brothers would probably give up a testicle, if I would take it in trade for that rifle. ;) It's tons of fun and has never given us a problem. (I may have replaced the extractor, but I don't think so; and even if I did, that rifle has had to have seen well over 100,000 rounds.)

But... After about 1992, quality took a serious nosedive. Getting one that worked, out of the box, was almost impossible; and getting one that worked for a few hundred rounds without parts breakage was almost unheard of.

One of my brothers has a Rossi 62SA ('standard' rifle) that was built around the same time as my 62SAC. Even it has been nothing but trouble. From the day it was born, it has had feeding problems, has constantly been going to gunsmiths, and has had almost every part in the action and magazine worked on.
Eventually, my father (original owner) gave up on it, after his gunsmith told him to "throw it away" :)rolleyes:), and it made its way to me as a "parts gun".

...which is where the Winchester heritage was useful. I gave it one last chance to live, by tracking down Winchester parts to replace the problematic Rossi parts. I fitted Winchester extractor, a Winchester Trigger, a modified Rossi hammer, some Winchester parts on the lifter, and tweaked a couple things.
Today, it's still a bit rough to cycle, but it runs great as a Rossi/Winchester hybrid.

I bring that up, because it's an option for people that don't mind doing a little tweaking. You can pick up problem child Rossis for $50-75, occasionally, and get them running with $25-75 worth of higher quality (Winchester) parts; versus $250+ for a usable Winchester 62A (or more for a 62, 1906, or 1890 - if you can even find one in .22 LR). And, in some cases, you aren't limited to Winchester 62A parts. For a few things, you can even use the 1890, 1906, or 62 parts.

MtnCreek

FrankenMauser,

I have the little short Rossi too. First rifle I ever shot.

My dad bought it used from an uncle in the early 80's and it made it's way to me later. By the late 90's I had worn it to the point that it would not stay locked when cocked (at around 9 y/o I figured out I could hold the trigger down and pump the action as fast as I could, probably took it's toll...). I took it and a 22/410 that needed a .22 firing pin to a smith. A few months later he called and said to pick them up; 22/410 was fixed and he told me the rossi was not fixable because of some chinese embargo or something... :rolleyes:

I took it home and took it apart. The little ears that engage to hold it locked were not fitting tight. I don't remember what part I filed, but I managed to do a little filing to get them to lock up properly. Still going strong ~ 15 years later. :)

KMAX

I went out to get lunch and stopped at the only pawn shop in town I will do business with. The guy had two Rossis that will come up for sale in a few days. He said $350 for either. One was a blue short barrel and the other was a stainless long barrel with the safety lever on top. The stainless receiver had quite a few scratches. Called another semi-LGS (85 miles away) that I do business with. He has a new Henry pump for what looks to be a pretty good price and he trades. After reading about the Rossi in previous posts, I may go with the new Henry. The guy at the pawn shop did make me a good offer on a couple of guns I am thinking of trading, though, but so does the guy at the LGS.

royboy

Look on Gun Broker for a Winchester 1890 or 1906. I've seen them for $350 and up. Be patient and look daily, you'll find one. The bluing will most likely be all gone leaving a nice patina. This could vary well be what your Grandpa had. Great firearm and fun to shoot. Good luck.

PetahW

If you'll settle for a used/discontinued specimen in pristine condition, the world is your oyster - just open it up & enjoy.........

This is a fairly-complete (but imperfect) listing of .22RF pump/slide action rifles:

Browning:
*Trombone
*BPR-22 (.22LR)
*BPR-22M (.22 WRM)

BSA - Birmingham Small Arms Co.
*Model of 1903
*Model of 1923

Colt ;
*Lightning (.22S)
*Lightning (.22L)

Henry Repeating Arms:
*Model H003
*Model H003M (.22WRM)
*Model H003T Octagon
*Model H003TM (.22WRM)

High Standard:
* Flite-King
*Sport King
*J.C.Higgins Model 33

Iver Johnson/Erma:
*Targetmaster
*Targetmaster (.22WRM)

Marlin:
*Model 18
*Model 20
*Model 20A
*Model 25
*Model 37
*Model 27
*Model 37
*Model 38

Meriden Arms:
* Model 15

Noble Arms:
*Model 33
*Model 235
*Model 275

Remington Arms Co:
*Model 12
*Model 12A (.22 S)
*Model 12B - Gallery Special (.22 S)
*Model 12C - Target
*Model 12C N.R.A.
*Model 12CS (.22WRF)
*Model 12D - Deluxe
*Model 12DS (.22WRF)
*Model 12E - Expert
*Model 12ES (.22WRF)
*Model 12F - Premier
*Model 12FS (.22WRF)
*Model 121
*Model 121SB (smooth bore)
*Model 572 - Fieldmaster

Rossi:
*Model 22
*Model 37
*Model 57
*Model 59
*Model 62

Savage/Stevens:
*Model 1903
*Model 1906 Gallery
*Model 1906 Gallery (.22S)
*Model 1909
*Model 1914
*Model 25
*Model 1929
*Model 29
*Model 29A
*Model 29B
*Model 29S
*Model 70 Visable Loader
*Model 70-1/2 (.22 S)
*Model 71
*Model 71-1/2 (.22 S)
*Model 72
*Model 72-1/2 (.22 S)
*No.75
*Sears Model 3
*Montgomery-Wards Western Field Model 80

Taurus:
*Model 62

Winchester:
*Model 1890
*Model 1906
*Model 1906 Special (.22 S)
*Model 61
*Model 61 Smooth Bore
*Model 61 Magnum (.22WRM)
*Model 62
*Model 62A
*Model 62 Gallery (.22S)
*Model 270
*Model 270D - Dekuxe
*Model 275 (.22WRM)
*Model 275D (.22WRM)

Last edited:
Wow, great list, thank you. I think there is one more Henry, which is rarer. In addition to the H003T, which has an octagonal barrel, there is the regular H003 (no letter at the end) with 18.5" round barrel. I used to have one; should have kept it (discontinued about 6 or 8 years back)

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

If you'll settle for a used/discontinued specimen in pristine condition, the world is your oyster - just open it up & enjoy
If you drop the "pristine" requirement, I completely agree. ;)
But as long as "pristine" is a qualifier, much of that list is out the window.

For example, every Savage model 70 that I have run across in the last 3 years has been priced at $250+ in well-worn, but "probably" functional condition. Finish? There might be some left. ;)
Just today, I came across one that was actually in pretty good condition, other than a well-abused (but unbroken) stock. It had the expected bluing wear from handling and loading, and a few minor scratches in the bluing; but the metal was in good shape, overall. Asking price.... $379.

I have the little short Rossi too. First rifle I ever shot.
They're amazingly fun. I keep an eye out for any used Rossi 62, anywhere I go. I wouldn't mind adding another one or two to my collection, to shoot; but I also wouldn't mind having some parts available, should the SAC ever start having problems.

PetahW

Thanks, UD - I forgot about the Standard Henry pumps, once available in either .22LR or .22WRM. (I appended the list)

FWIW, I never claimed every pump-action rifle on my listing could be found in pristine condition - I simply listed most of what I remembered as made at one time or another, and suggested that, if the OP would settle for a used rifle, something could be found in pristine condition (aka: "as-new").

Many, many pumpguns, however, can be found in what looks like pristine condition - but, finding one may take patience & a wide-ranging search.

It took me 20 years to find one particular rifle, in both the pristine condition I wanted, and selling at a price acceptable to me.

YMMV.

Clark

I buy old used guns.
But some of my pump 22s are almost too old to be practical:
Colt 1900
Win 62A

Some are almost too nice to shoot:
Rem 12
Rem 121
Win 61

But the Rem 572 field master is cheap and works as well as the better made and more expensive pumps.

When I hunt, I reach for the 572.

Attachments

• 17.5 lb male coon CCI CB short Rem 572 6-5-2013.jpg
    17.5 lb male coon CCI CB short Rem 572 6-5-2013.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 22

PetahW

Clark, I've never heard of a "Colt 1900" .22 pump-action rifle.

R U referring to a Colt .22 Lightning pump made in 1900 ?

Clark

Let me check that rifle.
The tag fell off the rifle, but it is in my spread sheet.
"Colt lightning, 22 Long, made in 1890, bought it in Nov 2013"

I don't know how my brain came up with "1900".