Puma lever gun opinions and ratings.

Big Cabin

I just bought a Puma 44 Mag./24" barrel/ case colored & blue. I tried the action in a store and had talked to a couple of guys that really think theirs are great.

I would really like additional feed back if you all would be so kind.

By the way I went this way because: I liked the smoothness of the action.
Winchester actions were rough.
Marlins were $200 more.
I couldn't find either in a 24" without a
substantial wait.

I plan to fit it with a tang sight.

Thanks,
Dana

gak

I think the Pumas - aka Rossi 92s - are great. Puma is the name given by Rossi and the specific distributor Legacy Sports International (LSI) for Rossi 92s made/imported with a small lever safety atop the receiver just behind the locking lugs and just ahead of the hammer (rested). The Puma name harkens back to some of the older Rossis which were originally so named because of a nickle sized "puma" cat emblem inserted into the left side of the receiver near the saddle ring).

I don't care for the LSI variant as much as others, choosing instead older Rossis (pre 2000 or so?) or the current/recent Rossis imported by Navy Arms and EMF -- both of which have no such safety-just like the original Winchesters...nice and simple. But I have owned the LSI 92s and liked them otherwise. LSI does boast a broader line up of cartridges avaialble, I believe being the only Rossis with .454 and .480 Ruger offerings.

I have owned Rossi 92s in .357 and .44-40 (.44 WCF) and .44 Mag and they have all been accurate and reliable. Of them all, my favorites were an older (c. 1990) Rossi ..44-40 -- which had a nice slick action job done on it..took awhile for the bullet to get to target (what a riot, especially compared to the .357 and .44 Mag!) but was still point of aim at 100 yds. (won't say what after that!) -- and a current EMF .44 Mag. All of them 20" saddle ring carbines. Navy Arms versions seem to consistently have the nicest stocks (genuine American walnut) but inexplicably only offer stainless models now--and only in .357 and .45LC., presumably catering mostly to the cowboy shooting crowd. Ok, regarding the inexplicable part...the stainless focus may also be for these same enthusiasts due to messy cowboy loadings (odd re a group otherwise obsessed with authenticity (Ruger Vaqueros aside) as the original Win 92s were never available in stainless, but Lucas McCain aside, the 92 also came largely after "the west was really won" by the '73, so...), but its too bad NA doesn't make those blued ones any more. Speaking of the '73, a fine gun too but the '92 has a much stronger action and can take virtually any loadings you throw at it (the .454 and .480 LSIs have actions that are beefed up even further).

You have a fine gun and great value--enjoy!

utaherrn

good post gak, good choice Big Cabin.

The '92 action is much smoother than the '94 action on the Winchester. Other than the versions with the fugly safety, I like the Rossi LA rifles just fine. You did well, and that extra 4" of bbl will add some more oomph to the round when it strikes target. Have fun and welcome to the Pistol Caliber Lever Action Rifle/Carbine Fan Club.

Be careful though, one specimen is rarely enough.......