Puma 92

Bigfatts

I scored me a Puma 92 today in .454/.45 Colt! The best part is it didn't cost me a thing! I traded an old Baikal SxS and an old .22 rifle for it straight up. I took them to another gunshop before I did and the guy offered me $210 for both, about what I expected but he didn't really have what I wanted. So I took them to the other shop and saw the Puma. It was marked $370, a little high for a used one but they will usually haggle with me. I showed him what I had to trade and he traded me straight up! I definately think I got the better end of the deal. I was looking at getting less than $225 and ended up getting almost $400 from my standpoint. It's used, in good shape, a couple scrathes and some handling marks in the wood but overall it's in nice shape. It has a William's receiver sight on it and a fiber optic front sight.

I had been lacking a lever action for a long time but didn't want a .30-30, I have a bolt action .30-30 and love it. I wanted one of the .45 caliber loadings: .45-70, .450 Marlin, .45 Colt, etc. So this was ideal. I am really excited about it. I have found my new hog gun for this season. How do you think I did guys?

Those of you who have the Pumas, how do you like them? I have heard good things about them but had never really thought about one seriously before.

Last edited:

Edward429451

I don't know about Puma's but I sure love my big bore lever action. How long's the barrel? How many does it hold? Post a pic of it. Sounds like a cool gun. Can Puma's shoot cast lead?

Pics. Must have pics.:D

dogngun

I had an older Puma in .357. It would shoot anything I put in it, even .38 Spls and Magnums mixed. It was pretty accurate,fast, fun to shoot, very handy.
I'd really like ond in .44Mag.

Great home defence/woods gun.
They were made by Rossi, and there is a site that really likes them.

Google Leverguns Rossi 92.
You should find several sites on these great rifles.

Enjoy it...It's a keeper.

Mark

deanadell

I have a PUMA in .357...FUll Octagonal barrel. Use for Cowboy action shooting. Love it. You got a good deal.....

FirstFreedom

Which one did you get? 16, 18, or 20" bbl? Blued or stainless? Ported or not? FO or regular front sight? Rossi/LSI Pumas are good rifles. I had a .357 and still have the 20" .454. I can tell you that in mine, it will NOT feed .45 colts unless they are loaded long in OAL.

Bigfatts

It's a 20" round bbl, non-ported. Blued finish. Fiber optic front. I don't have a camera at home here so I'll try to get pics tomorrow. I am thrilled with it so far. The action is slicker than any lever action I've had so far. Now I've got to track down some ammo.

rr4406pak

I have a blued 20" barreled Puma M92 in 45 Colt with a half octagon barrel, brass bead front sight, buckhorn rear sight, non-ported.
I've never seen another with a half octagon barrel. I didn't notice one offered on their website either.
It shoots great and seems very tight and well built.

difles

Puma in 454 Casull

I just got my new 454 in a SS with 16" barrel, now hang on to your underwear the price is (drum roll Please) $932.25 cdnhttp://www.thefiringline.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif
:eek:

Manedwolf

I have a 16" in .357. Handles like an extension of one's arm. Bullseyed the target the first time I shot it. Since it's an older one, it's pre-safety, and thus far closer to authentic.

I like it. :)

tINY

I've got the SS 16" in 454 - great carbine!

You don't really want to shoot full 454 loads for hours at the range out of it, though....

(mine does feed the 45colts)

-tINY

Manedwolf

$534? :eek:

Wow. I guess I shouldn't mention that I got mine for $50 at an estate sale, pristine, with the older rich Brazilian hardwood stock. They thought it was a BB gun... :D

ZeSpectre

I use an older Puma for cowboy action shooting. Over time I've done a ton of tweaking and tuning to mine and now I'd bet it runs as smoothly as any 92 out there :D

Some of my tips can be found ON THIS PAGE (my tips are towards the bottom under my SASS nickname of J.P. Withers). Even if you don't want a cowboy racegun some of the tips can come in handy if your carbine is a little stiff or fussy.

Crosshair

Good news. I work at Wal-mart and we just got the new 2007 catalog today. Yea, it's halfway through the year and we are just getting the catalog now.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I am flipping through it, "So I know how it is organized and look for new items. I then can help the customers better." At least that is what I told the manager.:p

I get to the Howa guns and I see in the catalog that we can now special order Puma 92 rifles. We can get virtually anything except the models in 480 Ruger. (We might be able to get them, but I didn't check further.) I wrote down a few of the prices to share. Prices have been very volatile lately, so they can change at a moments notice.

44 Mag/45 Colt, 16" Blue/Case finish, Retail $427.96

.357 Mag 24" Octagon barrel/blued, Retail $404.04
Same as above, but Round barrel/blued, Retail $322.14

45 Colt, 20" Round/SS, Retail $365.82

Now for the rifles chambered in the mighty 454 Casull.

454, 20" Round/Blue, Retail $365.82
Same as above, but in Stainless $529.25

Hope this helps.

Manedwolf

If only they'd make a 45-70 Government model...

I know Marlin does, but I prefer the Puma. I want a "western gun", not a "hunting gun". :)

FirstFreedom

Oh, and don't forget, bigfatts..... the .454 casull is an extremely high-pressure round, so if you shoot any .45 colts in the rifle, it is imperative that you clean out thoroughly the "residue ring" at the front part of the chamber that builds up from shooting .45 colt, before shooting any .454 casull. Otherwise, the bullet could have a hard time releasing from the case mouth when you go back to .454 casull, and this could spike the pressure - this is *not good at all* when normal pressures can already be 60k psi! This rifle is marked ".454 casull" ONLY for a reason - you must use extreme caution when using .45 colts (well, AFTER using .45 colts).