Puma 92 Large Loop

Ranger325

I've never owned one, but I'm really feeling the desire to pick up a level action and looking for your input. I'm thinking of the Puma in .357 which has received good reviews on this forum and over at the leverguns site. I'll use it on the range primarily and maybe for field carry.

I'm drawn to the looks of the large loop, 16" barrel model. This is probably some throwback to my childhood and the westerns of the 50s and 60s! No, I have no visions of Chuck Connors or the Duke!! ;)

Any experience with the big loop guns? Am being foolish.................:confused:

Thanks and regards,

10-96

You already have all the reason you need to get it... The "Neat and I don't already have one" factor.

I don't have a large loop, but I do have a Win '94 16" .357 rifle. Man, that thing is more fun than a drunk gal with big hoo... uh, hair.

deanadell

I've got the Puma 92 in .357. Didn't buy the "large loop" carbine version though...I have the full length octagonal barrel

Case coloring on these rifles is absolutely beautiful.

Fun to shoot.

Go get one:D

CraigC

I'm a levergun nut but look at the large loop as more of a novelty than anything else. I wouldn't own one. It also makes for a slower follow-up shot. I'm not buying the oversized glove excuse either. Other than that the Pumas are good guns and well-reputed. I've been thinking about a stainless 16" .44Mag myself.

tomh1426

I got a Puma 92 in .45 Colt, I like the looks of the big loop but I too think of it more as a novelty.
Its a great gun, really handy and fun to shoot!!
Id say go get one, sounds like u need it

Old Grizz

IM002487.jpg

Marlin 1895G
45-70 DRC large loop lever
Wild West Trigger
Wild West Follower
Wild West ejector

Nope Ranger, your not foolish. I love this rifle. Be aware about the large loop, If you don't wear gloves when you shoot it, no gloves create a lot of extra room inside the loop.

Colt46

Have the Puma '92, carbine in .45

Great gun. Whatever function the large loop serves is a mystery to me(heavy winter mittens maybe?). I find the 20" barrel to be about perfect. The shorter barrel might make it a little easier to backpack or camp/canoe with.

amd6547

The large loop is actually quite fast, once you learn how to use it. I found that rather than the traditional loop which requires one to twist the wrist, you can just shove your hand forward and the shape of the large loop will function the action.