Pulled the trigger on a FNS 40

Siggy-06

I've been shopping around for a new semi-auto for home defense/ocassional carry. I looked at a couple other full sized guns like the SR9E and the M&P40(I've had an SR9c and a M&P40c before, wasn't crazy about them). Found a good deal on PSA for $359+shipping for a FNS40 new in Stainless w/ 3 mags. I've handled the FNP, FNX, and this very gun in my lgs, but they were a bit more expensive.

Reviews seem generally good, take down looks simple, grip feels agressive but comfortable.

Anyone have any experience with these models in 9mm, .40, or .45? Anything I should expect? Thanks in advance for any info!

cmdc

I have three FNS 9s; a compact, full size and long slide. They have all been flawless through several hundred rounds. I'd say that for $359.00 you'll love it.

viciouskitty

I recently purchased a fns 40 Long slide as my primary uspsa gun and it has been great thru the 500 or so rounds I've shot thru it so far. I've had a fnx 9 for years and have shot in excess of 5k thru it, that's why I purchased he fns. Fn pistols are very high quality underrated pistols, you won't be dissapointed.

Siggy-06

Thanks for the info guys. It's my birthday today, but the gun won't arrive till tuesday at my lgs. Ah...the waiting game...

hemiram

I got one from PSA, and a friend did too. It seems like a decent gun. I haven't shot mine yet, but his had no issues at all. My only real nit pick is that the texturing on the grip is a little much. I vastly prefer the sandpaper like grip of my Taurus PT111 G2, but to be really honest about it, I prefer grooved grips over any other kind of texturing. I guess the old S&W "cheese grater" grips I had years ago on my Model 66 turned me off to any kind of aggressive checkering on a gun.

Siggy-06

$359 at PSA when I ordered it. I picked it up today at my lgs. Fit and finish are excellent. I've tried both backstraps and am not sure which one I like better yet, probably the flatter one for a slightly better purchase wrapping my hand around it.

Overall I'm thrilled with gun/price and can't wait to get to the range and do a follow up review.

pblanc

I shot one magazine load from a FN FNS 40. The guy at a local range next to me had one.

I was favorably impressed with it. It shot well and seemed accurate. I too felt the grip texture was a bit rough but that is an easy fix. the trigger was not bad. Not as good as my SIG P320s but certainly no worse than a stock Glock trigger IMO.

dontcatchmany

From my view point, you have an exceptional pistol!

I have the FNX 45 and 40 and found ( a couple of years ago) an FNS 40 for 325.

I am a hammer fired guy, but tried the FNS and I totally enjoy it.

I have a couple thousand rounds through each of the three pistols. Not a burp except that the FNX 45 did not like some el cheapo Precision One Ammo. Neither did my other 45 cal Bersa.

The FNS 40 has a 357 Sig barrel in it and I have swapped that with the FNX 40 at times.

It rides in my truck as a companion.

hemiram

I greatly prefer hammer fired guns too, but I don't hate the FNS-40. I really wanted an FNX-9, but they didn't go on sale, so I grabbed a SS FNS-40. I will resist using sandpaper on the grip until I shoot it and decide if it's going to be a keeper or something to sell if the prices go crazy in the fall, as I expect them to...

TunnelRat

I owned a few FNXs that I really liked and an FNS 9c that I thought was good, I just preferred other pistols. I always found them reliable.

cmdc

I just 'pulled the trigger' on an FNX9, to complement the FNSs I already have. It, too, is a very good gun.

smee78

Congrats on a fine addition, being a fan of my FNX45 I am trying to resist the urge to pick up a FNS from PSA. My FNX has been totally reliable and is my go to gun when filling in at the LGS or for home defense. Cant wait to hear your range report.

larryf1952

I also picked up an FNS 40 from PSA in early June. I paid $369, and the following weekend, they went on sale for $319. Story of my life...it was still a great deal, though.

I watched Hickock45's review of the FNS 9 on YouTube, and he really liked the gun. When I searched for one, they were out of stock at virtually every local and online store that I found. I think that FNH is discontinuing the FNS line, so they are getting hard to find.

On a whim, I stopped by the local Academy store that is about 1/2 mile from my home. I half heartedly asked the young clerk in the firearms dept. if he had an FNS 9, expecting him to say "no". He went to the computer, did some poking around, then went to the safe. He brought out a case with an FNS 9 in it that was the exact same gun as the .40 I had just bought. They were running a special for $25 off, plus a $25 gift card if I signed up for an Academy CC. That paid for the tax, so the gun went home with me.

I haven't had a chance to shoot either gun yet, but I'm looking forward to it. They feel great in the hand.

WVMountaineer

I don't own one but, I've been around a few owned by friends. My impression of those guns is they are a Good'er one. Probably the best value on the market. God Bless