Pull through cleaning Kits

Housezealot

I recently picked up a gunslick pull through cleaning kit and absolutly love it.
is there some reason I don't see these as often as cleaning rods?
I like it a heck of a lot better and it seems to me that ther is less chance of scratching the bore, Is there a major drawback to these I'm not seeing?

oneounceload

They're good for a quick once-through, and depending on what your barrel looks like, that might suffice. If it has a lot of gunk inside a good scrubbing with a brush works better, IMO. I use a rod in my cordless drill - easier on the hands and arms

ISC

A drill operated bore brush won't do as good of a job cleaning the grooves and puts too much wear on the lands. The only time I think it would be OK would be if you were polising a chamber or bore that had been abused and suffered from severe corrosion. In that case the damage you are doing wouldn't matter.

The goal of cleaning a barrel is to get the crud out of the barrel, not spin it around and around so that the copper, lead, and residue acts as an abrasive. This is especially true if you're using a steel rod. I guess it would be less true if you're talking about doing it to a shotgun.

The best reason to keep a cleaning rod over a pull through is that a rod can be used to pop out a casing and a pull through can't.

THEZACHARIAS

I use a bore snake when im shooting dirty-burning ammo, or un-jacketed lead bullets. The issued practice ammo for my M4 burns dirtier than anything else ive ever seen, so i always run the bore snake thorugh between strings.

Makes the end of the day cleaning 1000% easier.

oneounceload

Sorry - I was thinking about shotguns.........for them, the drill rod works the easiest............for pistols, I use a handheld rod to clean and use the bore snake to apply a coat of oil

Housezealot

mabey I'm a little confused, what I have is a snake that you fit with a regular bore brush,I have seen other snakes that look like a big shoe lace. and I was taught growing up that you pushed a brush through in a single smooth pass at a time, IE no stroking. so I figure I'm doing about the same thing. Is there some essential diifrence In methods I'm over looking?
as far as keeping a cleaning rod to push a casing out, I have several good rods, I'm a packrat so I still have a few old cleaning rods with the threads of a brush broke off in em too.
i don't know what I'll ever do with em but you neve know when youll need a little piece of steel rod for something

ISC

A bore snake is a particular brand of pull through cloth cleaning system. They work well and are very convenient.

There are also alot of other cable type cleaning systems like Otis and the German military type, they work too. You can even take gutted 550 cord and tie it in knots around pieces of an old t shirt and that works good too, as long as you don't need to push out a stuck wolf case and have a toothbrush to clean the chamber.

F. Guffey

Push-pull: pulling the cleaning rod keeps the rod from bending/flexing, this prevents the cleaning rod from contacting metal, important if the cleaning rod is perceived as being able to remove metal, in the old days of jointed cleaning rods and consideration was given to the effect the rod had on the bore, a few undercut the joints, others taped them, I suppose the few did not make it to the Internet.

If allowed to have an opinion: When observing shooters cleaning rifle bores at the range between shots it looks like they are going through the motion or at best smearing, with out resistance the cleaning rod does little or no flexing, that could be the reason I pull the cleaning through, there is resistance, and I make my own version of the bore snake, I use it at home.

F. Guffey

I use the Otis system for 90%+ of my cleaning. I still need a rod from time to time and I am not going to make claim to being the most diligent cleaner. I refuse to shoot surplus ammo and the only gun I have with reliability problems is an 11-87 thats action gets sluggish after about 250 shells.