Public Service Announcement

Oldphart

Okay, this is one of those “gun related” Public Service Announcements the moderators will probably pull but I have to try.

Most of us on this forum are men and – like men everywhere – we’re TOUGH!! We look at our own eventual demise with the same sort of Wagnerian philosophy made popular by ‘Rambo,’ ‘The terminator’ and before them, countless western heros, not the least of whom was John Wayne. We’re ready to meet Death out in the street and if we do go down it’ll be after one heluva fight.

Well let me tell you a little secret guys; except for an infinitesimally small number of us, Death won’t look like Jack Palance with six-guns slung low on his hip. But he isn’t going to come to us dressed in a robe with his face hidden and a lethal-looking scythe in his hand either. He’ll look more like Ronald McDonald when he comes to take you away. Instead of plugging your heart with a lead slug he’ll do it with a bunch of grease and a salt shaker.

And you’ll welcome him.

I’ve been away for a couple of weeks. I don’t post a lot so I doubt I was missed but I missed you. I had a heart attack, five by-passes, a couple of infections and a whole lot of time to reflect. I figured I was a tough as any of you until I woke up, unable to talk, with my wife standing over me wearing a hospital issued plastic smile and tears in each eye. The Doctors told me that recovering from open-heart surgery is the hardest thing I’ll ever have to do but they’re wrong; it’s much harder to admit that your inconsiderate actions have hurt someone else, someone you promise a long time ago to protect from this sort of pain.

Well, I’m going to survive for a few more years but here’s where guns come into the story. In order to get to my heart, the surgeon had to run a circular saw up my sternum so he could spread my ribs. The edges of that bone are now being held together with a couple of feet of stainless-steel wire until they knit. Until that knitting is complete, in about three months, I can’t shoot. The recoil would rip the edges apart again and reset my clock for another three months. So if you enjoy your range time (and we all do) watch what you eat.

By the way, I don’t need sympathy – I need my ass kicked.

dwc1973

to Oldphart...

sounds like you already got your @$$ kicked, and kicked where the sun don't shine to boot. and since you're pulling through it, it sounds like your tough enough....

Lurch37

No sympathy from me then, but I ain't kickin your butt either. :D

Hope you get better and thanks for the advice, maybe you could sneak in some plinkin with a .22 ?

jhansman

Oldphart, great post.

I echo everything you said, as I had a stent put in a 95% blocked coronary artery a couple of years ago. All that followed an attack of angina that made wonder how I had ever felt real pain before. While I was waiting for the paramedics to arrive, I wondered if I would live to see day's end. I did, and am now 40 lbs. lighter, much more active, and eat far healthier than I ever have. Each trip to the range (and just about everything else I do) is filled with gratitude and reflection.

BTW, since I can't seem to kick my own ass, I let my missus do it. She's awful good at it, too. ;)

kayakersteve

Great post!!! I see the other side of this picture working as a PA in emergency medicine - I frequently see the 'tough guy' that is pushed to seek medical attention by his significant other and I am the one that has to tell him/her the it is a heart attack or stroke. I agree we all need to heed this advice and improve our overall approach to life in order to extend our leases here as long as possible. Anyhow, get better and listen to most of what your doctor says, but not 100% or you might have to get rid of your guns. I am sure that there is a connection between your guns and heart disease that the Brady's and your doctor would share with you if you desired to listen.

fairview mick

To Old Phart and all others.

Now I realize how fortunate I am to have a son who is a personal fitness trainer in Fl. For the last 30 years he has kicked my but either over the phone or by E.Mail. I' ve quit smokeing (25 y/ago), not a drop of booze for 36 years and I have worked out seven days a week for the last 26 years. I'm 72, still run 6 miles every other day and do weight training 4 days a week. I was at 280(now 175), Smoked almost 3 packs a day and was drinking at least a 1/2 fifth a day. I know, if it were'nt for him I would be dead.
Alsmot dead from drag racing accident on 400 horsepower bike, but that was a good choice. Stay with it PHART and you won't belive how good you'l feel
Happy New Year.
Mickey

Eghad

My Step Dad went in the hospital the first part of December for them to care of something in his colon from a previous surgery. he passed away just before Christmas. Done in by a staph infection from the I.V. which started the ball rolling. His blood became so septic he finally passed away.

So if you have a loved one in the hospital be damn picky about the nurses and staff following handwashing protocols and sanitary protocols as well.

allenomics

All the best to you. Perhaps you can take some time to help train others in the proper use of guns? That and TFL will keep you connected until you can get back on the range.

grey sky

What are you shooting that would cause that kind of punishment?
Can't you go with a .22 ?
Fresh air and sunlight is the best medicine.
Get well.:)

Garand Illusion

Awesome post and follow ups. I'm thinking that avoiding my daily Big Mac might keep me safer than level II body army, being as I live in the suburbs and rarely go anywhere near a dangerous neighborhood.

I saved your post for future inspiration.

And yours too, Fairview Mick.

chris in va

And I tell you guys what, I was 34 and had a coronary blockage due to my eating habits, even though I was pretty active and the 'outdoors' type.

We can get so focused on perceived threats from intruders or BG's doing a carjack, but a little clot will stop you just as quick.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Well to be honest with ya'll, wife has NO CLUE, I am a tad concerned... I am 39 smoke noxious quantity of cigs, drink plenty of beer each day, eat the god awfullest of food I cook in the house with bacon being a given. I have done plenty of "recreational" drugs as a younger guy (statute of limitations has expired on that part) and recently I get a "ZING" in both arms and chest for no explainable reason and I fret it may be a not so good symptom of something needing addressed by a doc.
In september I trashed my good arm (left side) in a vehicle wreck and don't want to add more burden to my wife's plate. It may sound crass but a thousand bucks for the "green" funeral is likely gonna be easier on her than me goin' in for a stay to fix the "other issues" I seem to have.
Brent

Oldphart

Brent, see a doctor. You're doing the same thing I was: sacrificing your loved ones to satisfy your own ego. Do you enjoy making your wife cry? If so, then divorce her now and go off by yourself to die so she won't have to watch.

By the way, you might not die - you might not even have a heart attack. Instead you could have a stroke and spend the next twenty years living like a vegetable, with your loving wife feeding you, giving you water and washing your butt every day. If that were to happen I'd hope that enough brain cells were killed that you'd not realize what was happening nor why. My favorite aunt died about twenty years ago. Unfortunately, her body didn't realize it until five years ago. Is that what you want too? Think about it.

JaserST4

5 bypasses! That's some serious biness. At least you survived it and with modern medicine you can die of old age. Obviously diet will be a looming factor in your daily life now. I
went through college and worked as a food handler in a VA hospital. I thought most of the patients suffered some war injury but in time learned it was often diet related. The tip off was even some older women were single and even double leg amputees. Diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.

That was 35 years ago and I've eaten pretty well since. I eat the occasional fast food stuff but it's a treat and not a way of life. Hope you get back to shooting soon.

Eric M.

I'm on Zocor, but have been watch my food for some time.

Great Post Oldphart and Prayers sent your way.

All of us bullheads have to be reminded once in a while that we aren't John Wayne.

Thanks, and God Bless

Eric

imthegrumpyone

Oldphart, it won't take long, you'll be at it as good as new. I'm a 64 1/2 cocky and fearless "youngphart" with a quad by pass and two stents still eat what I want, but that's just me. You do what Doc's says. Life's to short anyway. I believe it's not what you eat but how much of it you eat. Speedy recovery to you.

Tanzer

Had to have paranasal reconstructive surgery once. Close to the brain - had me in a bad spot. The doc said I couldn't work for three weeks minimum. I mumbled something about it being summer & how I couldn't use my boat. She stopped me short and said the boat would do me a lot of good - salt air & all that - just don't work on it, and no more than a glass of wine, none if taking pain med.
Let's see, my doctor has ordered me stay out of work, sit on my boat, take oxycodone (who needs wine?) and not get excited. One day my wife forgot to leave me a sandwich before she went to work & I had to make my own! Oh, the things I have had to do......
Oh, yeah, couldn't shoot for three weeks.

EJJR

My dad had a quad-bypass. Had to give up most of the foods he loved and is a real p.i.t.a about it at times, but he's still ticking 7 years later.

I learned from his mistakes. Not much glory in being taken out by a quarter-pounder.

Best wishes. :cool: