PTR 91

gmarr

Years age I shot an HK 91, loved it. So, the question is this, how good is the PTR 91? Reliability and accuracy? Accessories?

Thanks

hodaka

If you liked the HK you will like the PTR. Most of the accessories work fine. I owned one for about 5 years then sold it to buy a new toy. Mine was about a 2 MOA rifle which was a bit disappointing but I was spoiled by a DPMS LR. I tried a number of different bullets and powders and 2 MOA was about all I could count on. It throws the brass about 30 ft. and puts a big dent in them but I reloaded them anyway without incident. They are heavy but you know that. I have thought of buying another now that the prices have come down. I think they are pretty comparable to the HK but at 1/3 the price.

5.56RifleGuy

The GI ptr is a great buy at around 900. I have one I have shot the snot out of without incident. I use horribly cheap steel case ammo too. I loved it when I could buy mags for a dollar. They are still dirt cheap. Fun rifle.

ttarp

I have the GI model, I like it a lot, haven't had any issues other than a couple of bad magazines that I've since set aside. The claw mounts generally fit up well on PTR's, and there are a few other options for scope mounting out there as well. Accuracy is ok, I doubt I'll be winning the local 200 yd hi power match against the AR's though. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

tangolima

I have one for about 2 years now. I like it. The accuracy is about 2MOA. It is plenty good enough as a battle rifle. I installed an ejection buffer so that the brass won't get dent up. I replaced the rollers one size bigger to have a bit more bolt gap. Didn't want to pay for a real claw mount, instead I bought a cheap aluminum mount. Not too bad. Mounted a scope and eventually took it off. It is just too clumsy. The original drum sight is pretty cool. I even took it to matches in our club. I could actually out shoot some of the ARs.

-TL

Slamfire

I got to compare my PTR91 against an original full auto HK (in 9mm though) and myself and the owner agreed that the PTR showed better workmanship.

The PTR has a better barrel than any military rifle but still, this is primarily a battle rifle not a target rifle. If you have to have match grade accuracy there are a number of 308 AR10's with match barrels and triggers.

Bill Springfield did a trigger job, and the trigger is as good as a match M1a. I am certain the prices have changed, so I X'd them out, but here is the message:

> wspringfield@comcast.net wrote:
>
> I can set you up with a pull that has virtually no creep in the 4.75 area. I
> also remove all the take up slack. Price runs $XX and return postage is
> included. Only the trigger pack is needed, personal check is fine. My address
> is:
>
> Bill Springfield
> 4135 Cricket Ct.
> Colorado Springs, Co 80918

hodaka

I forgot to mention the trigger. As I recall, about like a stock AR. I got use to mine but never really liked it. I considered sending it to Bill but never got around to it. Finally the value of the rifle got up to much higher than I paid and I sold it. I may get another unless I get a DPMS. I like the PTR but the accuracy of the DPMS is hard to beat, especially with a new trigger.

tangolima

The original trigger was creepy and on the heavy side. I did a trigger job myself to take out the creep. To lighten the pull I replaced the hammer spring with the one for mp5. It is now pretty decent.

-TL