PTR 91 Good for Me?

copenhagen

I am stuck in California- going home to SC on leave at the end of this month, and I will be adding another .308 battle rifle to my collection which now consists of one Springfield Scout Squad M1A.

I want to get something like a FAL or HK91. My FFL at home told me he can order a PTR91 for me.

I will probably have around 2 Grand to play with.

I prefer rock solid reliability to most anything.

Something that stores well with little to no maintenance is a must as it will be staying at my Father's in SC when I come back to CA.

Basically, I am trying to round out my collection everytime I come home before Obama gets into office and I can't buy them anymore. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Orion6

I love mine (PTR-91). I've had two and they've been 100% reliable
CDNN Investments sells them for $899. You won't beat that. And that leaves a lot of $$ for ammo.

You may also look at a DSA FAL (try USMADEFAL.com). They sell STG-58 carbines for $1100.

Most people will recommend the FAL or an M1A. The PTR-91 is my favorite though. They are very easy to strip, clean and repair once you do it a couple of times.

Good luck.

SimpleIsGood229

If reliability is your #1, check out the .308 Saiga. You would convert it back to proper Kalashnikov configuration, of course. Simply put, think AK in .308.

Orion6

Saiga mags are expensive, and the hi-caps are unreliable at best.

If mags weren't an issue, I'd agree.

G3/PTR-91 mags are excellent and typically $2-$5 in excellent condition. I just bought 10 like new for $19.

copenhagen

Thanks guys, I think I'll be getting the PTR 91. I read about it in Boston's Gun Bible, his opinion seems to be that it is the perfect rifle for little to no maintenance. Not that I can't maintain a weapon, but I figured instead of just getting one battle rifle, why not get one of each? That way depending on what the situation dictates, I'll have something for every application. I'll post pictures of my PTR 91 when I get it and give a range report.

I'm not terrible worried about brass getting eaten because I will just be using the Lithuanian NATO Battle Pack ammo, so no worries there.

Orion6

Good choice!

Like I said, many who are fond of the FAL or M14 don't like the G3 platform, but they are excellent, reliable weapons.

Learn how to check your bolt gap and you should be good to go! Good luck.

Slamfire

I purchased a PTR-91 from CDNN Oct 07. I have been very happy with my rifle.

The instruction manual leaves a bit to be desired.

I found some very helpful disassembly instructions and a video for various parts at

http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/index.php under the CEMTE section.

I have no intention of taking apart the trigger pack, but that forum had the instructions.

With this type of design, don't forget to keep the chamber clean. When I talked to the factory, ammunition that has a lot of tar around the bullet will clog up the chamber flutes.

The mechanism is extremely simple and I would be curious to know how much abuse it takes to stop the thing. I suspect it would take a lot.

If you want a match grade trigger, send it off to Bill Springfield. I don't know if his rates have changed, but I got my pack back very quickly and I have been very happy with the trigger.

> wspringfield@comcast.net wrote:
>
> I can set you up with a pull that has virtually no creep in the 4.75 area. I
> also remove all the take up slack. Price runs $54 and return postage is
> included. Only the trigger pack is needed, personal check is fine. My address
> is:
>
> Bill Springfield
> 4135 Cricket Ct.
> Colorado Springs, Co 80918

IZinterrogator

If the reason you're in CA is because you're in the military, you can take an [finger quotes] assault weapon [/finger quotes] back to CA with you and register it there legally. Here's the word I got from the CA DOJ when I was almost transferred to Fort Irwin:
Dear Sir:

A Military Assault Weapon Registration (MAWP) application is completed before an assault weapon is brought into this state for active duty soldiers/sailors/airmen/marines who have permanent duty station orders for California. The MAWP registration is only good for the duration of the active duty status; if discharged in the state of California, the assault weapon must be surrendered to local law enforcement, sold to an assault weapon firearms dealer, rendered permanently inoperable, or destroyed.

If you wish to receive a MAWP application, or if you have further questions on assault weapon law for the military, please call (916) 227-3694 and ask for Lana.

As for the high capacity magazines, they had to be possessed in this state prior to January 1, 2000 in order to in compliance with the law.

Sally Carney, Field Representative
Firearms Division
As you can see, you are limited to 10-round mags, but you can have your rifle with you instead of leaving it back home. Just ship it home prior to your discharge date if you are going to ETS while you are stationed there. Of course, if you take terminal leave, you are still in the military, so you can drive home with it since you aren't technically discharged yet before you leave CA.

copenhagen

I sure am active duty out here- been in for almost six, just got transferred out to here a little over a year ago. I will have to check into that some more, because if that is true, I'd love to bring some of my rifles here with me!

copenhagen

Finally, here she is!

DSC00644.jpg

DSC00652.jpg

DSC00650.jpg

copenhagen

I really didn't find the trigger to be that bad- I mean it has a good deal of take up, but every shot was a suprise. I thorougly enjoy the rifle, and feel as though it was money very well spent. I did however find it a bit difficult to put the bolt back together, but, I figured it out. I do believe the instruction manual could be a little bit more concise.