PT738 Magazines made of UNOBTAINIUM!!

deerslayer303

Had I did a little more homework this ONE issue would have swayed me somewhere else. NO ONE has factory magazines for this awesome little pocket pal. While I love the little gun, this is aggravating as all get out.

carguychris

Unobtanium... they must come from the same factory as exterior trim pieces and suspension parts for older Italian cars. ;)

deerslayer303

Because I can. I didn't build the thing. And had you read the OP you would see where I said "Had I did a little more homework". IMO if a model is in production YOU HAVE PARTS FOR IT. That would be like you buying a Brand new truck and you can't get service work done because there is NO PARTS AVAILABLE for it. They don't even list a magazine on their USA site for the PT738. Still love the gun, I have just gotten to a boiling point looking for a magazine (which I've been looking since I bought it) and decided to come vent here. I will keep looking until I land a few.

Yung.gunr

Yeah, I saw a mag for my PT709 slim at the LGS, didn't even bother looking at the price, just bought it. That one came with only one mag, my TCP came with two. When my wife had the LC9 those mags are also quite expensive and hard to find. Really, the only reasonably priced pistol mags I've seen are for M9's. I actually bought some from a guy on here for $5 each.

ProMag makes em, but that company has a bad reputation from what I've seen.

KenL

I had one for my TCP on backorder from Midway for a year (my backorder was entered on 12-31-13 and the order shipped just before Christmas 2014). I couldn't find one anywhere else either. I did buy an extended mag from ProMag, it's a POS. I'm glad I finally have 2 factory mags, but I likely should have ordered 2 instead of just one.

deerslayer303 said:
IMO if a model is in production YOU HAVE PARTS FOR IT. That would be like you buying a Brand new truck and you can't get service work done because there is NO PARTS AVAILABLE for it.
Taurus is just following the line of American manufacturers.

Back in early 1999 (in fact, I may have ordered it in 1998 -- probably did) I made te monumental mistake of buying a new vehicle, of the first year of production of a new model. I bought a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which had a brand new engine, a brand new transmission, and a brand new 4WD system. It was a complete lemon, and my sojourn with it ended in October or November of 1999 when it simply stopped -- right in the middle of a state highway.

I had it towed to the dealership. The shop foreman found me in the waiting area a half hour or so later and told me he had good news and bad news. The good news was that they were able to diagnose the problem -- failed camshaft position sensor. The bad news was that camshaft position sensors for the '99 Grand Cherokee weren't in the parts system yet, so they couldn't repair it.

I left it there and bought a 2000 Cherokee, which is still running great.

Same idea with the Taurus -- rush the product to market, and screw the customer if he needs any follow-up support or parts.

deerslayer303

I was looking around on the internet. And in the Taurus Forums there are threads from 2012 with TCP owner complaining of the same issue, NO MAGAZINES. I could totally understand if it was brand new to the market, but it isn't. Its just frustrating is all. I have notifications set up with the major retailers to let me know when they are available.

dwhite

All of their small pistols seem to be sold in two different
packages. One includes one mag. The other includes 2 mags.

People tend to grab the single mag offering because it's cheaper
than the other. Then they find they can't get mags.

If you buy a SECOND 738 you'll have two mags, and a parts gun.
If #1 ever breaks you could save the trouble of shipping it to
Taurus having #2 to rob parts from.

All the Best,
D. White

slugchucker

Unobtainium too

I hear you Deerslayer. Because of your problem finding magazines, I did a little research into extra mags for a Taurus PT132 32acp Millenium Pro that had caught my eye. Great price, but like your PT738, the 32acp mags for the Pro series were also made of unobtainium. Not to be found anywhere, lots of web hits about others looking for them too. Decided not to purchase pistol. Probably for the best, even tho the price sure was tempting.

wmg1299

I went through this with my 709 Slim. The Taurus phone rep told me almost a year ago that the lack of availability was due to their magazine shipments being held by Customs in Brazil. I got lucky and found a few at a police/security supply store.

I also own a TCP. I'll pick up one or two extra mags, if I ever find some, for range trips. However, the two that came with the gun are sufficient for my needs right now. I do wish Taurus would address the problem in a more timely manner.

dwhite

One of Taurus' biggest problems is parts availability.

Over the years they've made many different models but
they have little if any common parts. Everything is engineered
from the ground up. It's kind of stupid that a magazine
from a 24/7 compact won't fit a Millennium model. Their
parts department has to be a nightmare.

All the Best,
D. White