PT145 - Blued version now or Stainless much later?

GeorgeF

I have been wanting a PT145 (3rd gen) but by the time I got around to pulling out the money, the stainless version was gone from the store. And inquiries show that people are having hard time getting them in stock.

SO, they have a blued version for $15 less - do I get that one now or wait (and possibly wait and wait) for a stainless? I would go with buying online, but after shipping and transfer fee we are talking a nice chunk more than retail store.

I am looking for it to be a carry gun, hence my desire for stainless. But as long as I wipe it down after each carry session, I'm thinking it should be fine.

What do you all think?

MrMayface

My dilema is a little different. I'm looking for the Blued, but can only find the stainless. GeorgeF, are saying that the stainless will be better for a CCW? If so why would that be the case?

kcshooter

Stainless finishes don't wear and fade like blueing does, dont suffer from fingerprint wear like blued guns.

You guys should check gunbroker, there are a few new ones under $350 in both finishes.

GeorgeF

I can buy the blue for $340. If I do gunbroker, that adds shipping and then the transfer fee - easily $50 or more. But thanks!

Stainless I prefer especially for sumer. If I have it close to skin, it will probably get perspiration on it. Perspiration = salt. So I would like to do as much as possible to mitigate any rust factors. I realize Stainless isnt 'rustless', but it helps.

Also, as kcshooter says, it will get the wear around the muzzle from going in and out of the holster. Not huge, but also a factor. That doesnt bother me too much since it will be a working gun - mostly the perspiration aspect.

kcshooter

I don't know if I'd do that. I own a couple of Taurus's, and although I think their quality is just fine and their reliability rivals almost any other in their price range, their finishes have never been their strongest point. For daily carry, it may get ugly fast.

xrocket

FWIW .... I purchased a NIBb Blue Mil PT145 Pro three weeks ago and could not be happier. The dealer had both blue & bright to compare too. The main reason I went to the dark side is for CC day & night. I don't want to tip my hand and if it gives me a split extra second before recognition that's to my good:).

About wear ... I've always respected tools and their owners that have the right earned wear/age tells. To me, a gun either blue or bright with care and upkeep and a few good miles won't bother me at all. In fact, I'll trust it more than the safe queen, but that's just me.

Solution ... GET BOTH!