PT-145 Experience/opinions

Johnc

Does any one have any experience/opinions on the Taurus PT-145?

I am looking for a new subcompact .45 and thought I would scan for some info on this model.

Thanks

tex45acp

John I have been carrying mine for about 2 years now. It has over 4000 rounds down the pipe and has never failed me yet. It is extremely accurate and you simply cannot beat the 10+1 capacity.

Here is the gun, 15 yard target of 21 rounds & Tucker IWB holster. Oh I also carry it in the fornt pocket of my pants.....and NO it is not to big to do so. Of course I am larher than the average bear!!! 6'6" 300lbs.

I just recently picked up a second PT-145, but with the stainless slide.

tex

MillProSmall.jpg

TaurusTarget.jpg

PT145TUCKER.jpg

xrocket

I've put 600+ rounds down range with my Gen 3 MilPro PT 145. The first 50 demonstrated the usual breaking in and after that flawless. I would highly recommend the gun to anyone looking for a compact and lightweight .45.

BTW I currently own a S&W 645 and have owned Colt 70's and a Springer in the past and this pistol shoots just as good as any of those. Target shooting CCI Blazer is a real blast with the 3 inch barrel. Big fire plumes of cheap powder.

I really don't have anything negative to say about the gun and the price is right.

Good shooting

Mike PT1911

Have used my PT145 second gen. for over a year, It's a keeper. Compact, solidly built, reliable, SS finish, soft recoil (for a .45). This is a great piece for CCW.

Lou22

I have a second generation PT145 that is a great shooter. Only problem is some failure to fires with Wolf ammo. Usually fires on the second pull of the trigger. I guess that ammo has hard primers.

Lou

Johnc

Thanks Gents!

I think my mind was just made up.

Tex, that is exactly what I want to do with it. Front pants pocket. I am 6' 3" so things "hide" well on our frames. In the summer I carry a AMT DOA backup in .380 in my pocket. It is not my first choice for the best pocket carry, nor is it my first choice for an effective caliber, so that is why I am looking at the Taurus.

Again, thanks for the replies.

John

Manedwolf

I have the PT745 in stainless, which is the single-stack version.

It's much lighter and much thinner in the grip, easier to conceal. I have no idea how people manage to conceal the 145's grip in summer clothing, if slender. :confused:

Manedwolf

Although they are not the best handgun you can buy they are the best you can buy if you have a limited amount of money.

It's sleek, stylish, goes "bang" every time and puts a hole where I point it. What can be "better" than that?

A "name" on something with an external extractor that jams and has to be fixed by a smith before it'll even work? :)

Dallas Jack

I love my PT-145. It's easy to conceal, has a 5.25 lb SA trigger pull, and shoots to point of aim. Overall a good gun. Also some don't like the Heinie sights, no problems for me.

PT-145 second gen
Nov232005053b.jpg

PT-145 third gen upper left
DSCF0621B.jpg

As you can see I like the Mil-Pro line of guns.
Dallas Jack

Johnc

Although they are not the best handgun you can buy they are the best you can buy if you have a limited amount of money.

It's funny, price was not a big consideration when I thought about the PT-145. Primarily, I was searching for a reliable, small, concealable, semi auto .45 with a decent capacity. The Taurus hit on all the criteria. If it was twice the price I would still be interested. If it was half the price I would be suspicious and pass on it.

spinnb7

i had a taurus pt 111
piece of crap.
would never own another taurus.
it shot great for a while, maybe 500 rounds, was cleaned regularly,
and then out of maybe 10 rounds, it would jam
junk.
i would not stake my life on a taurus product.

Qwiks draw

Will say right off the bat, that I have a Taurus PT111 Mil/pro,PT22, and 4 Taurus revolvers. All are giving sterling service and have for decades as far as the revolvers go

What follows is posted at other Taurus threads and needs to be consdered.
Facts speak for themselves.

06-16-2007, 06:55 PM #11
Qwiks draw

Posts: 300 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Awards in 2005 as follows: Shooting Industry Manufacturer of the Year award, National Association of Sporting Goods Wholesalers Manufacturer of the Year, and SHOT Business Manufacturer of the Year.
NRA awards were more recent but would have to research to see which two they were.

So Taurus is doing something right. Bashers and trolls ignore that completely.

The latest bash technique is to say that Customer Service is unresponsive or insulting to callers. That may have been true a year ago or more. Those staff at Taurus that did that are all fired and gone.

Since I have contacted Taurus Customer service to ask questions several times this year responses were positive in each case.

Time in getting the gun back however can still be a source of frustration though.

Losing the gun is another favorite basher technique. "They don't know where it is and still don't", goes the cry. Trolls are still kicking that one around every chance they get. That is not true either. They have been tracking where guns go pretty well.

The above is a quote I used in another post in another thread. Taurus recieved 3 awards in 2005 and several more from the NRA and other sources in the last year or so.

So Taurus is doing things right for the most part. Manufacturers have to work hard to get these awards.

Bashers , whiners, and trolls ignore this exclusively. "Conventional Wisdom" to the contrary, Taurus is putting out decent products. "Conventional Wisdom" is not always wise.

This is a quote from your truly from another forum. And what is said still stands. The above is about 3 prestigious awards that Taurus has won as well as several form the NRA since or in 2005.

It does not surprise me that when all avenues are closed for whining and complaining, new ones are tried to be opened up.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is a quote from another thread here and at other forums. This was put up for the record that Taurus does make a good product.

While I cannot say that I own a PT1911, there are others who do who like them and have posted here and at other forums. I do own 6 Taurus products and all give excellent service.

This needed to be posted to keep the record straight.
There are satisfied PT1911 owners at www.taurusarmed.net as well as here. Members here are members there. Peruse the archives, old threads, and recent ones for those who want another source.

Not necessarily so. There are Taurus Trackers and Raging Bull that have satified users and there are S&W and other company users who are satisfied. So budget is not always a consideration nor does budget mean poorly made though "conventional wisdom" would suppose.

There are many companies that make middle of the road priced firearms and the users are happy with the. Price is no indicator of quality.

There is a history of this in the firearms industry.
Merwin and Hulbert, Forehand and Wadsworth, Harrington and Richardson,Remington, and a host of other manufacturers made serviceable handguns. These were picked up an used daily and gave decent serviceable use.

True, there were other companies, but those folded for a number of reasons. Bought out by the bigger companies(Colt and others didn't like having competition), models that worked but weren't popular ( public being fickle at times), and some did make poor weapons and those guys went away after a year or two or three.

So present day has seen the old guard replaced by new one, with middle of the road pricing on a host of brands, makes and models.

There is a segment of society that will not give these firearms or their users nothing but disdain.

Figured this may need to be posted to set the record straight on a few things.

The nay-sayers here would have you believe that the shooting industry and NRA as a whole in picking Taurus for their awards, are complete incompetents and idiots of the first order. If Taurus makes trash then these industry folks would have to be idiots and incompetents, wouldn't they?
Then there are those who claim to be dealers, gun store clerks,and distributors ( may be they are what they claim) who claim that all Taurus products passing through there area is trash. This despite evidence to the contrary.
One has to ignore the positive completely to make negative claims as well as overlook the rest of what has been presented.

It is not said that Taurus does not have an some guns slip by QC anywhere in this discourse. It even acknowledges that.

So say what you will. Be careful what is said since history is documented and can be brought to bear when needed.

xrocket

Say SpinB7, ... about that 500+ round Taurus you hate. Before you got rid of it did you clean the mags?

Any pistol's mags need to be cleaned after a period of use as the follower tends to start sticking from powder residue. Since an automatic pistol is a timed piece of machinery, that was probably your problem. If not the gun comes with a lifetime warranty from Taurus which you could've used.

I'll buy any reasonable maintained Taurus at half wholesale if you want to get rid of "junk guns" :) in the future, just PM me.

Good shooting all.

thepreacher

I love mine. I, like Johnc, was in the market for a compact 45. Price was not a consideration at first. I started looking at the Glock. Did not like it ergonomically. HK USP was very nice, Springfield was also nice. Taurus just 'felt' right. I continued shopping and narrowed it down to the 3 and then 2 but ultimately I just love the way the PT145 fits me.

A lot of folks do not like Taurus and I took that into consideration also. I could not be happier with my decision or purchase. The ones before or after this one on the assembly line may have been ****s in someone elses hand or mind, but mine has been a flawless performer. That is the only real data I can use for a review.

I love mine.:)

Manedwolf

If only they'd made a Lasermax for it!

I have the 745, which doesn't have a rail, and I hate hanging stuff on a rail anyway. But a laser would be nice.

JerryS1

I used to own a PT-145. It wasn't bad at all. Shot respectable groups for it's size, it has some recoil.....but I kinda like that. The only reason I sold it is because I'm not sure the lifetime warranty is worth a damn. I don't like the customer service they provided me they were short and rude (and I've never said that about any other customer service before).

My wife still owns and loves her 24/7 pro (which shoots low as many do). The second she decides she would rather have something else I'll sell it and never buy another Taurus. I've had too many good experiences with great firearm brands to put up with crap from those that don't want my business.

Jerry

exprt9

I also own a PT145 but the 3rd gen SA/DA model in stainless steel slide. Mine has been flawless so far after 800 rounds. I don't have a problem with the Heinie sights and shoot POA is POI. I too had to weigh my options but since I've owned a PT111 MilPro SS and the PT140 MilPro SS for over two years, the decision to buy the PT145Pro came easy. I'm already looking forward to buying the PT 809B once it comes out. :)

spinnb7

xrocket,
yes i did clean the mags, and the pt 111 is still junk.
everyone has an opinion, and mine is that i would never let my life be protected by a taurus product.
its like buying a knock off of anything else.
i love my springfield xd's, they actually do fire every time.