PSA vs BCM gas port sizes? BCM middy question

DubC-Hicks

Does anyone know if PSA uses the same gas port size as BCM on their midlengths? I have a 14.7" PSA middy with a carbine buffer that runs just fine with Tula ammo, and am looking to buy a 14.5" BCM middy upper for another build. But I've heard that BCMs can be picky with low powered ammo, and that'd be a problem, because I use Tula for plinking ammo.

Sorry if that's confusing, I just don't want to buy the BCM if it won't cycle with steel ammo. Does anyone have any experience with a BCM 14.5" middy?

Quentin2

That's an interesting question but it'll be hard to find a definitive answer. PSA tends to use FN barrels for their duty style ARs and many of us think BCM does as well. Unfortunately BCM does not share information on all their sources so all we can do is speculate.

I have seen multiple posts that the BCM 14.5" midlength does have problems cycling low powered ammo, especially steelcase. BCM does not recommend using steelcase so I'd expect there may be problems.

I have the 16" BCM, PSA and DD midlengths and have no problems cycling steelcase (M16 BCG and H buffer). Maybe a standard weight buffer would also help a 14.5" BCM middy? My BCM and PSA kick Tula out pretty good, about 8+ feet at 4:30 o'clock angle.

I hope you do get replies from folks with the BCM 14.5" middy. Alas, most
would just be a sample of one so you never can be sure until you try your BCM under your conditions. :(

ETA:
I've read that BCM uses the same size gas port on their 14.5" and 16" midlength. Think it was .068" ??? Others go a little bigger, maybe .072. Carbine length gas and 16" I think is about .062".

Last edited:

DubC-Hicks

Thanks, I figured it would be a difficult question to answer, but I had to try. I don't want to get a gun that just won't cycle.

I'm guessing that it will run with a carbine buffer since my 14.7" PSA middy runs fine with steel ammo and a carbine, ST-T2, or a rifle buffer.

HKFan9

I don't know the specs but I have owned and do own a few different BCM 14.5 Middy's, my current one being the BCM HSP Jack carbine. I never had a problem with any of them running steel case, however I know BCM does not recommend using it, and I have heard of the same issues you have.

My suggestion would be to buy the BCM, you will not regret it at all. Realistically speaking.. if your TULA ammo is just your "plinking" ammo, then jams won't really matter every now and then, if anything it would be great practice for clearing jams, which with any semi auto for self defense use, people should be practicing regardless.

So really I say if its jams up a few times on the range, who cares, treat it like good practice and work on your clearing fundamentals. I wouldn't use Tula ammo for self defense no matter what, I do however use it on the range with good success, but I have even experienced jams with high end runs running premium ammo. If your gun never jams your just not shooting it enough.;)

Also I have read somewhere that replacing the H buffer or H2 whichever your running with a lighter buffer should fix any issues with the 14.5 middys and steal cased bulk ammo, I never had to touch mine.

1DrnkMxR

I have a 14.5 BCM middy that does not cycle with steel ammo. I've tried changing the buffer spring,the buffer to the spikes ST-T2 with a DD full auto BCG and still no luck.
It shoots everything else, just no steel ammo.:(

Cy4ka

My BCM middy will eat anything you put in it. It likes the high quality brass as well as the worst steel cased Tula.

I don't know what gas port size matters between the 2 companies you mentioned. You don't want anything over-gassed though, that's for sure.
There's enough charge in any new manufacture ammo to make it go "boom: irregardless of gas port size. Just don't cheap out on ammo (like bags of old ammo from a gunshow, etc...)

In my experience with my BCM I like that rifle over any other AR I've shot. You will not be dissappointed with anything they make.

DubC-Hicks

Gas port size matters because if the size is the same, it should run in the BCM, since it runs in the PSA. Buffer weight, spring, and everything would all be the same.