PSA AR

mfreem08

Hey guys. I just "built" my first AR and got everything from PSA. I have received everything and it assembled just fine.
The upper came with the front A2 sight but I have no rear sight. I believe this upper is referred to as being a flat top.. My question is; can I mount an MBUS rear sight to this upper and be gtg? Or is there something else I need to buy? It seems that it would be high enough to match the front A2.. Here is a pic of the upper.

PSA Upper.jpg

Last edited:

Bpcurious

Last edited:

henschman

Nice choice. You couldn't hardly do any better than one of PSA's chrome lined middys for a good basic fighting rifle IMO.

Yes, the MBUS would work great. In fact that is exactly what I would recommend for the best basic folding sight on the market. It is polymer, but it scored the highest out of any sight on the market in drop testing, so there are no durability issues.

mfreem08

Hey thanks for the quick replies guys. I did exactly like you said henschman and checked out ebay. Ended up saving me anywhere from $10-$20 depending on the other gun websights I was looking at. Scheduled to be here end of this coming week. Can't wait!

Fishbed77

It is polymer, but it scored the highest out of any sight on the market in drop testing, so there are no durability issues.

The MBUS sight did well in one well-publicized (and poorly understood) internet comparison, but in my experience it is far from the best available.

The MBUS may hold up well to a few drops (being of resilient polymer), but when it fails (its spring breaking), it fails spectacularly. You are left with a floppy piece of plastic that is completely unusable.

A sight like the Troy Folding Battlesight may get slightly deformed after a few drops (causing an MOA shift), but the sight is still usable in an emergency situation, since it locks in the up position.

They cost a little bit more, but I would strongly recommend the Troy Folding Battlesights (or Magpul's own excellent MBUS Pro) over the polymer MBUS.

Last edited:

Brotherbadger

You're fine with any rear sight. Just make sure to sight it in. congrats on the great rifle! I've got more than my share of PSA parts in my Frankengun. 100% reliable.

BillyJack3

Inspect what you got off ebay carefully. Tons of knock offs and counterfeit product out there. Quite a few MBUS that are actually PTS.

Ibmikey

Billy jack is quite correct, unless the ad specifically said Made In USA you will get imtation Chinese Junk (not the boat). If I use ebay for a firearm part i am very cautious and ask questions of the seller. Many times their "good" prices turn out to be something else. Magpul packages their sights in a bag stapled to a card if yours come in a nifty box they are [Chinese.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ibmikey

All of the boxes I have handled said Magpul all over them but had PTS parts inside. Magpul may have used boxes prior to the current baggie, of that I am not aware.

candr44

All of the boxes I have handled said Magpul all over them but had PTS parts inside. Magpul may have used boxes prior to the current baggie, of that I am not aware.

The first generation Magpul sights came in boxes. Shortly after the Chinese knock offs showed up the second generation came out in baggies.

I unknowingly bought some Chinese Magpul knock offs years ago and will never buy them again. The parts fit is very poor, the springs are weak, the moving parts don't hold in place, and they don't hold zero. They also make knock offs of the Troy Battle sights with the rear sight peep hole drilled off center.

I would rather spend the extra $10-$20 dollars at a reputable business and be sure I'm getting the real thing. You won't save any money buying useless junk.

Ibmikey

Thanks Candr for clearing up the "box issue". I usually buy from 'e cop' if using e bay and have received quality parts at reasonable prices.

BigBL87

BTW, I was mistaken on mine coming in a box. I went and looked and it was my stock that came in a box. My sight did in fact come in a bag.