PSA AR 10 issue

homesick

Not sure if this should be in this forum or reloading but here goes.
I have a PSA AR 10 it doubles on me not every time but often enough.
I'm shooting LC brass with CCI 200 primers. I have been told CCI primers are very soft and that is the problem.( slam fires) Has any one experienced this or have any suggestions or cures.

marine6680

Slam fires are a possibility with light primers.

I don't know what the military primer is for large rifle, but I use the military type small rifle primer for my AR reloads.

stagpanther

If your gun is firing on both sear break on pull and during trigger reset--it's your trigger disconnector timing most likely.

homesick

I spoke to people at store where I bought the trigger and they are going to replace it so will see how that goes.

marine6680

I know that my PSA10, the trigger fit is different from an AR.

The two stage trigger has to have a longer than typical disconnector spring to get it to work properly... It's not a simple drop in thing for just any AR trigger.

So it's possible the gun is doubling due to the trigger.

marine6680

When I pulled my trigger out of my PA10, the disconnector spring was longer, and the standard size spring did not allow the disconnector to work correctly.

There was a hoopla about the trigger fit being off just enough to cause issues for some trigger swaps. The SSA, like is in mine, was known to have a fit issue, but a tweak was made to ensure function... Probably the longer spring.

Maybe all that has been corrected on the lowers now.

Erno86

You could be accidently bump firing the AR-10. A 308's recoil is sufficient to bump fire certain semi-auto's like the M1A --- that is --- if you don't follow through with the trigger pull; by using no more rear trigger pull with your trigger finger just after the sear breaks.

stagpanther

You could be accidently bump firing the AR-10. A 308's recoil is sufficient to bump fire certain semi-auto's like the M1A --- that is --- if you don't follow through with the trigger pull; by using no more rear trigger pull with your trigger finger just after the sear breaks.

--- George Orwell
This is always a possibility as well--especially with light springs. The OP seems to indicate that the repeated firings come in two's--which leads me to believe the dissconnector is not letting the the sear off on the trigger shelf properly--otherwise I think he would be getting symptoms of auto fire--in other words entire magazines emptying rather than just double-tapping. My less than 2 cents.

homesick

I did shoot again today / 10 rounds of old load with CCI 200 primers / 12 rounds with Federal primers / 10 rounds factory Remington MC 150 gr. / 6 rounds of Match 168 gr from Ga. arms. I did not have one double fire, but I did concentrate on trigger pull.
My plan is to purchase some CCI LR hard cap primers and go from there and if that fails I'll put the original trigger back in and go from there.

stagpanther

It's easy to test your trigger to see if the disconnector and safety are working properly--most AR owner's manuals and better trigger kits have instructions for how to do this. I've noticed that the more adjustable a trigger group is (especially if it has very little over-travel and a very light trigger pull and/or sear release)--the more critical the proper timing of the different components are.

Last edited:

homesick

I switched to the CCI 34 primes have had no more issues with slam fires and accuracy was not effected either. Things are back on track, next project is to lighten it up.