Psa ak47 gf5

Shadow9mm

So i recently got one. Have not had a chance to get it to the range yet. But a few things i have noticed.

It smells bad. Like burnt machining oil. I took it apart including the gas tube. Wiped it all down. Applied frog lube paste which has a nice minty smell. Hit everything with a a heat gun to help it adhere to the metal, and it still smells.

Internals seem rough. I had an arsenal years back. Wish i still had it. But they seem rough and the finish is already wearing. Got it from a friend and he had only put 30rnds through it.

Rough action. The slide will kind of stop or hang up while closing. Usually about half way. Right about the point where the gas rod attches to the bolt. That area seems a bit loose.

Gas tube is loose and kinda flops around. Every ak i have dealt with they were always tight and hard to remove.

Similar story with the handguard and retainer. The handguard is tight. But the retainer toggle was loose and the retainer slid right off.

Folding stock is cool. No wiggle when extended. Not sure how i feel about the protruding buttom in the butt to release it from the folded position. Would have preferred just a detent.

Trigger is very good. Light and clean.

Mags are metal reinforced polymer and are snug with no slop

Maybe im being overly critical of an ak. But this gun retails for $1059. And i feel the fit, finish, and quality of my arsenal sgl i had years back was much better.

Last edited:

stagpanther

Same rifle I have--except mine is a gen 3. PSA's usually are a toss of the dice, sometimes you get a great shooter--other times you roll snake eyes and then the adventure begins in dealing with customer service. Sounds like they must have significantly improved the stock trigger--mine is like pulling a ten pound brick across gravel. No way the assembly should be that loose. For that price I would have been all over a Zastava over a PSA, but you know what they say about hindsight.

44caliberkid

The release on the handguard/ gas tube of my ZPAP is so tight I have to tap it with a hammer to get it open or closed. Rough finished parts can be fairly common in AKs. If it doesn’t slide against or lock into another part, they don’t bother with smoothing things out.