PROS about the Redhawk

shoop66

I don't want to hear the usual (too heavy) stuff, I want to hear the good stuff about the revolver. I'm tempted to get it, even though they're hard to find and most are .44 when you do find one.

azredhawk44

If you have big paws, they are great. They have a longer distance from the backstrap to trigger face than either a S&W 629 or Ruger SRH.

The longer barreled ones are pre-setup with ring mount points and even come with rings, if that's your style of shooting.

The cylinder is longer than any other .44magnum revolver except for Dan Wesson's .445supermags (which aren't really .44mags). This allows for the potential of creative handloading with 330gr and heavier bullets, or longer seating of 275-300gr bullets to obtain more case capacity for powder. The result is 454/475 levels of performance in a more traditional-sized revolver. (Caution: experiment at your own risk and peril.)

Ruger-branded V-notch rear and gold bead front sights are dirt cheap and make for a fantastic upgrade for these. Aftermarket support of the Redhawk is rich and varied.

Stevie-Ray

Only revolver I own. Purchased because I've thought since they came out in the 70s, that they were the single most beautiful .44 magnum available. Far prettier than a S&W 29, IMO. It's true competition never came until the Colt Anaconda vied for my attention, though the Dan Wessons also came close. I never got the snake; still got the Redhawk, even though I don't shoot it much. Acceptible accuracy, but not a tack driver by any means, at least mine's not. I shot a Super Redhawk once and it was FAR more accurate than my Reg-Hawk. Mine's had just about everything through from light factory loads to a 300 gr Barnes load that fried a scope after a scant few rounds.

100_0456.jpg

dgludwig

I don't own one because it's pretty (actually, I think Redhawks are more homely looking than most other .44 Maggies), I own one because it's a tough, durable and reliable revolver. It's on the short list of the many handguns I own that I would consider keeping if I could keep just one.

crghss

It's Fun!

I have a SRH .44 mag 9.5 barrel. Was the only pistol I owned for a long time. I won a shotgun in a raffle. Sure didn't need that, so when I went to pick up my prize I saw the SRH in the case. Love at first site. Talked store owner into applying the value of the shotgun to the revolve. He did and it was mine.

Now to address your question. I just love shooting this gun. Sounds fun, kicks fun and is fun.

azredhawk44

crghss: You know an SRH is not a Redhawk, right? Totally different critters with different triggers, different grip frames, different hammer spring designs, different barrel mating?

The only thing they share is length of cylinder and the unfortunate inclusion of the word "Redhawk" in the title of the SRH.

The SRH is really more of an overgrown GP-100, whereas the Redhawk is more of an overgrown "Six" series..

aaalaska

I own and carry a redhawk [ yes in 44 mag] because it works ,accurate enough to take a bear at 65 yds , enough power with reloads to go end to end on a black bear.even with a 7.5 in barrel not to heavy for this fat old man to carry up and down these hills in Alaska ,points well , and loaded with a 300 gr hard cast makes holes that can only be called impressive.Taught my kids to shoot this gun at age 8 or 9, and must say my sons are not shy about recoil,so I guess I didn't frighten them to bad. These boys will shoot boxes of rounds through heavy recoilers like the encore in 375 jdj 444 marlin 45/70 and 460 S&W, along with 260 rem and 308 ,none with barrels longer than 15 in.So yea I own several pistols but the 44 redhawk is with me most of the time.Hunting ,fishing or hiking.Alex

WESHOOT2

well

At one time I had 5.5" stainless steel versions chambered for 357, 41, and 44 Magnum, and 45 Colt.

I kept my 44 version (and one 7.5" 357).

I wear mine in a Milt Sparks HSR; I also use it for USPSA competition (yes I have many HKS M29s).
It wears a Millett orange-ramp front sight blade and Pachmayr Decelerator stocks.
I shoot mine double action.

I don't care about the names stamped into it; I care (only) about how superbly it performs.
Now for over a dozen years.....

Sam06

Redhawks are great revolvers. As an addicted handloader I really like the Redhawk. It is a strong revolver that allows a lot of flexiabilibty in loading. Its has some faults but you get used to them and some can be overcome. Most of the positive things have been stated but the things I like most are:
-The ease of scope mounting, if you have one that has the ring cuts on it. You don't have to remove the rear sight. When the scope is mounted it is above the pistol and does not hang over the rear of the gun. I like that.
- The easily changed front sight. You can get all kinds of cheap replacement front sights and change them out in about 5 seconds.
- The grip. The Grip is perfect for me. I have big hands and it is one of the best grips on a pistol I have found. One of my Redhawks has a set of Herretts Roper grips on it and it really feels good in the hand.
- The Double action trigger pull is fantastic. The single action is not so hot but it can be worked on if you are careful.
-Strength of the action and ease of maintenance. The gun is easy to work on and you don't have a bunch of screws to bugger up like on a S&W. The weight of the gun just soaks up recoil. My 5.5" redhawk recoils about like a 8 3/4" M29. They lock up at both ends of the cylinder which give it even more strength.

I have had several Redhawks but now I have only 3; A 5.5" Stainless 44mag, 7.5" Blued& scoped 44 mag and a 7.5" stainless 41 mag. I think the blued ones have the best triggers but I have only had 2 blued ones to test that on.

Oh yea I have never had any Gas cutting on a Redhawk I owned. The Cylinder gaps are all very tight and the cylinders are all bored the same unlike an Anaconda I had. This makes them fairly accurate.

tulsamal

My 5.5" .41 Magnum SS Redhawk is one of my most treasured guns. A whole lot of guns would get sold before I got down to it.

I like my M57 and M58 as well but the Redhawk is the real "using" gun.

Gregg

Stevie-Ray

The Cylinder gaps are all very tight and the cylinders are all bored the same unlike an Anaconda I had. This makes them fairly accurate.
I've found the opposite with mine. I had to mark the chambers and fire groups from the seperate chambers to find the problem one. Another guy at the range watched me and did the same thing with his SBH, as he was having grouping issues also. We both found one problem chamber. I've never sent mine in for correction, though. I might do that now that I am retired.

Jim March

Handloading to get the "last edge" out of an oversize cylinder like the Redhawk/SRH is risky without good pressure test gear.

The good news is, Garrett Ammo and I think Buffalo Bore have loads tuned specially for the Redhawk/SRH cylinder in .44Mag+P+. The stuff is expensive and stout, and so far there are no reports of blown-up guns with the stuff other than the aforementioned barrel thread issue.

Ruger quality control on "existing models" is just excellent right now - they're on a strong upswing in that area. They've had teething issues with some new designs and some brief recalls, but those were corrected quickly on Ruger's dime. The recalls haven't affected any of their classic designs such as the Redhawk and the newest Redhawks such as the 4" variants are some of the best guns Ruger has ever made.

Across all the revolvers, a good clue as to "it's a newer and good one" is to check for the "warning billboard" UNDER the barrel instead of on the side. Dunno if they do that on the 4" Redhawks as the half-underlug may get in the way...

darko

As stated a few posts up the Redhawk does seem to have a longer reach to the trigger. I have the 4" 45colt version, and with the hogue grips on there the reach becomes very pronounced. I bought a set of original Redhawk redwood grips, which seem to help but change the dynamic of the weapon a bit. I find firing single handed with the hougues to be very difficult and ackward, but they seem okay two handed.

IDAHO83501

Good gun

I have a Ruger Redhawk, it is an excellent revolver. It is built much heavier than a 629, (I have owned two of them). While the Smith has a little better stock trigger than the Redhawk, that is the only aspect that is better on a 629. If you use factory ammo you will be happy with either the Ruger or the Smith. If you handload to near extreme levels, you will be much happier with a Ruger. Custom grips, a good holster, and a Stainless Redhawk, priceless!! ENJOY

Stevie-Ray

I have a Ruger Redhawk, it is an excellent revolver. It is built much heavier than a 629, (I have owned two of them). While the Smith has a little better stock trigger than the Redhawk, that is the only aspect that is better on a 629. If you use factory ammo you will be happy with either the Ruger or the Smith. If you handload to near extreme levels, you will be much happier with a Ruger. Custom grips, a good holster, and a Stainless Redhawk, priceless!! ENJOY
Very true. Going back to when I bought mine, they were pretty much the hot setup in a DA revolver for testing loads due to their well-known strength.

Is this a five year old post or just OLD NEWS.
:confused: I don't understand your problem. The original request was dated 2 days ago. You're perfectly free to not read or reply.

stalkingbear

I'm a HUGE fan of Redhawk revolvers and will never own as many as I would like. Redhawks are bombproof, the strongest frame on the market, even as strong as the "Super Redhawk". The main thing I like about them is the unique lockwork where the hammerspring also serves as trigger return spring. This makes for an extremely smooth, non-stacking trigger pull. A Wolff spring set will REALLY make it light in double action-even to the point you'll wonder how it still strikes with sufficient force to ignite the primers. My Redhawks have DOUBLE ACTION pulls of 5.5#-6#. Yes, Redhawks are my all time favorite double action revolver.

Gun 4 Fun

I have one now in .45 Colt. It's my second one. I bought the first (.44) when they first were available in the early '80's. (When they actually hit the stores)

The one I own now is like new, but I have to send it back to Ruger who won't even pay the shipping.:mad: The tip of the firing pin has snapped off, leaving it too short to fire reliably in DA mode. It hasn't been dry fired more than a few times. As I said, it's in new condition, though it's 10 years old. It has been sitting in the safe all this time. That's one more reason I like S&W guns. They stand behind their guns with warranty and shipping. This is the last Ruger I will ever buy, and I have owned a truck load of them!:mad: