Proper single action loading technique?

orsogato

Hi all. Is it true that the loading gate should be closed last on a traditional (i.e. no transfer bar) single action army type pistol when loading it?

I always knew that you should load one skip one, then load four, cock and close on the empty cylinder chamber, but I always closed the loading gate before I cocked it.

Guy behind the counter at the local gun store suggested that you should never shut the loading gate first, but always last, after you cock the gun and let the hammer rest on the empty cylinder.

What's your thoughts on this? It was new to me, but then again, I'm willing to always learn, if it's the right thing to do.

Walther22lr

With my Colt SAA, I typically close the gate after loading but before cocking the hammer and lowering it on the empty chamber.

I really don't see what the difference would be. Perhaps to get a better look a the rear of the top empty chamber to verify it is under the lowered hammer?

I look at the side to verify mine though. It is easy to see.

aarondhgraham

Mechanically it doesn't matter, does it?

I mean the loading gate isn't connected to anything,,,
At least on my two SAA clones it isn't.

Let me know if I'mm missing something.

orsogato

I'm not sure. The clerk mentioned something about keeping the gate open means the cylinder turn line wears less quickly. I wasn't so sure, but since I decided I wasn't gonna buy the gun I didn't want to honk the guy off.

It seems to me that the gate should be shut before you cock and drop the hammer. It would minimizze the chance of a cartridge sliding backward out the gate, and causing the cylinder to jam or fail to turn in the process.

Plus, what part of the lockwork would the loading gate even be attached to? Seems to me that it isn't attached to any.

So far it seems like the responses would follow this logic. Anybody else have any different thoughts on this?

James K

Member In Memoriam
I keep the loading gate open until I lower the hammer so I can easily see if there is a round under the hammer. (I think that "turn 4 7/16 clicks to the right" stuff is nonsense; it is easier to just look.)

The loading gate on a conventional (Colt type) single action has nothing to do with the cylinder bolt or turn line or anything else. It is just hinged on a pin. If the bolt doesn't drop completely at half-cock the gun is defective.

In a new type Ruger, opening the gate disengages the cylinder bolt (cylinder stop) so that shouldn't affect anything else either. The clerk is full of it.

As for leaving the gate open allowing a cartridge to slide out, why would you point the gun up in the air while loading? I always keep mine pointed down so the cartridges slide IN.

FWIW, in a properly tuned SA of the Colt type, there should be no "turn line"; the bolt should drop into the leade (that triangular cut) and not onto the cylinder elsewhere. And if the gun has been worked over, the bolt spring should be light enough that the marking is minimal; factory springs can cause the bolt to gouge the cylinder. (Note - not true of S&W DA revolvers; they are designed to have the cylinder stop drop early and a turn line is not only normal but if it is not there the gun is not timed right.)

Jim

orsogato

Thanks for the info Jim. Yes. I wouldn't point the gun in the air and load, cock etc. either.

I do see your point about leaving the gate open for a visual inspection. It makes sense. My only thought was that it would seem that closing the gate doesn't "hurt" the gun, make a turn line etc., or wouldn;t necessarily be an improper loading method.

The particular gun I was looking at was a traditional single action. It was a Cimarron model P with a spur hammer (non transfer bar type).

So if I get this right, whether the gate is opened or closed when the hammer is cocked and then let down on the empty chamber makes no difference, or has no affect whatsoever on the cylinder turn line? Is that fair to say?

Thanks again for the info.

EdInk

I don't think it matters on an old style SAA.
On the New Vaquero you cannot cock the hammer with the loading gate open because of the transfer bar system. However, you can safel carry six rounds and that is a great thing.

MDB

On the Ruger 3 screw revolvers---never lower the hammer from half-cock. Always pull hammer all the back and them lower it. This will avoid the dreaded cylinder ring.

DPris

Member Emeritus
On a Colt SA and/or clone with that type of lockwork the position of the loading gate has zero affect on anything relating to the action, as long as the muzzle is pointed down. If pointed upward at enough of an angle to cause rounds to slightly back out as the cylinder is rotated, it can bind the cylinder temporarily.

Otherwise it's connected to nothing but its pin & spring.
The gate position affects cylinder turn lines in no way whatever.

As long as the muzzle's angled downward enough to retain cartridges independently of the gate, the gun could not care less where the gate is when you finish up loading & lower the hammer.

I don't think it can be put any plainer than that- NO correlation between turn line and loading gate.

Denis

New_Member_Name

ok i jsut started reading this....and now i'm all confused. you mean to say you cant load all your chambers when you get ready to shoot on a SA??

DPris

Member Emeritus
On a Colt & clone the firing pin rests on the primer of a loaded chamber when the hammer's down. Dangerous for carry if dropped.
When you're shooting, makes no difference.
Load five for carry with an empty chamber in front of the hammer, load six for range or other immediate shooting. The key is "ready" to shoot, as opposed to regular carry when not immediately planning to shoot.
Denis

orsogato

Sorry to revive this after a couple of days. I've been snowed in without power.

So based on what everybody is saying here, the counter clerk doesn't know what he's talking about regarding cylinder turn lines and the loading gate. I thought as much. It's one of the reasons I've avoided that particular shop, unless they are having some sort of advertised sale going on to make it worth my while.

TenRing

I can't see how it would make any difference whether you close the loading gate before or after cocking. If the loading gate is open, just hold the gun barrel down to keep a cartridge from falling out of the gate. I think you should just do as you have been doing. As for the cylinder turn line, it has never bothered me at all on my carry and hunting guns. After all, the cylinder line is just a natural result of using the gun. Unless ithe gun is a safe queen, the turn line doesn't really matter and it gives the gun character and patina more than it detracts anything.