Proper gun handling manners

44 AMP

Staff
Discussion on another thread lead me to start this one.

What do you consider proper manners when handling somone else's gun?

Besides following all the safety rules, what things should one do and not do to be polite?

Things like flipping the cylinder open or shut on a DA revolver, or flipping the barrels open and closed on a break action I consider very rude. Checking the chamber for yourself (even if you just watched someone else do it) I consider prudent.

Not dry firing the gun without asking (and getting) permission first is another polite thing. Not leaving fingerprints on the metal is another.

SO, what other things should one do or not do when being allowed to examine someone else's gun?

clayking

Telling your the firearm is a piece of crap.......ok, there's a story here.

Recently a fellow shooting next to me asked about my 1911 Springfield SS Long Slide. I told him about it and asked if he would like to shoot it, which he gleefully accepted, even my ammo. First off, he couldn't pull the slide back so I showed him the slide release. He fired, only to get a hung round, I suspected limp wristing. He did it again. I asked him if he had ever fired a 1911 before. He said sure, and pointed to his, yea mine. It was a Glock. I said no, not a 45acp, but a 1911 like mine. He asked what the difference was so I explained a little bit. Again he fired, again a hang up. I explained that he need to be firmer in his stance, locking his arms and wrist somewhat. Again, same result. So I took it and fired off the rest of the magazine, no problems. I said, sorry, guess you and this one don't get along. It did add evidence to me regarding limp wristing.

He said, yep, guess, so, or maybe it's a piece of crap. I just gave him 'the look" and went back to shooting.........................ck

predator86

flipping cylinders open, barrels? fingerprints??

the only thing i expect is that friends ask before picking up a gun and that the safety rules are followed.....other than that they can dry fire them, rack the slide, drop the mag, work the action, leave fingerprints ect. ect.

dm1333

Asking to dry fire a .22 rimfire. And holding my Glock sideways "gangsta" style while making imaginary shooting noises. Nothing really wrong with the second one but I just made a disgusted face and took my pistol back from my coworker and told him to stick to PS3. :p

bikerbill

If someone hands me a gun to examine, I always check to make sure it's unloaded ... I never dry-fire it; that's just rude ... if someone wants to look at one of my guns, I'm always happy to oblige, but sticking your fingers inside, dry-firing or covering me or someone on the range means you won't be looking at any of my guns again ...

Perajio

I never like it much when I take someone to the range, let them use my gun and then they out shoot me........:rolleyes:

Waitone

Always chamber check a handgun even if you were standing there watching the other person chamber check it. Same with revolvers. Reason is simple. If a screw up occurs and a ND occurs it is your problem, not the problem of the person who handed it to you. Trust no one when it come to firearms.

wpcexpert

When I handle anothers firearm, especially someone I don't know, I treat it as if it was their first born. I try not to leave finger prints, I don't slam the slide/flip the cylinder, but always check the chamber and the mag. Basically I treat it as how I want someone to handle mine.