Proper Dickering

I got the idea for this from Willy's "rating Used Guns" thread. Is there a proper level below somebody's asking price to offer on a firearm? I'm constantly seeing firearms that are way overpriced, and to avoid ticking off the seller I just keep on moving. Should I be making an offer as much as $100.00 lower, or is that insulting?
I get so angry at gunshows and shops because of the overpricing and outright lies that go on that I go less and less. Have I been doing it wrong, or do these people really want me to offer realistic prices?

Bill Fitzgerald

The closest gun shop to me has signs displayed which read "No haggling". That wouldn't be too bad except their prices are 1.5X what everyone else charges.

They have decided to make their living off of the ignorant.

Needless to say, I don't buy my guns from them.

As far as haggling goes, feel free to offer whatever you want. They may *act* offended, but believe me they aren't.

RadarMan

Haggling is like an all out fight. Sometimes you will win and sometimes lose. Losing is a bad feeling (I may be going through that right now) winning is great, and being prepared is the edge. If you go in knowing what an item is worth then you will not feel bad when they act offended, you control the enviroment. The only exception is when you want something so bad it doesn't matter what the cost ....... where you get it ...... 'cause you need it NOW!

------------------

James K

Member In Memoriam
There is no fixed amount and no fixed percent. You are not going to offer $100 less than the $120 price! In a shop, some dealers will not haggle. I can't blame them too much, as they have a business to run. Others will deal, but some guns have more room than others to do so. But prices over retail list get me moving out the door.

Still, remember that the dealer has to do a lot of paperwork, comply with ever-changing laws, pay the rent, and keep a good stock if he is to attract any business. Further, his competition may be a huge discount outlet that can quantity purchase and sell at less than his wholesale price. But the outlet doesn't stock advice, assistance and the little accessories that don't make a lot of money. Another competitor may be a retiree who will almost give the stuff away to get some company in his shop.

At a gun show, things are more free wheeling, and sellers may accept any reasonable offer. Don't ask "What'll you take?" Make an offer. An odd price, like $340, invites an offer of $300. But be prepared to pay cash (as in greenbacks) on a good deal. The seller who does set a fair price shouldn't be offered an expired credit card, or the third party check your grandmother gave you three Christmases ago.

Kodiac

Like many other folks selling guns - I welcomed any BEST OFFERS... Not that I took them - but was glad to know there was an offer - as long as it was a reasonable and solid offer.
Haggling is not a bad thing - as long as you are respectful and dont offer 1/2 of the guns value!

------------------
"Fear will keep the local systems in line..."

I'm not out to get the best of anybody, I'm always willing to pay a fair price. The situations I'm talking about are when a dealer has a price on something that's well above any book value. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's seen weapons priced outrageously. I'm just wondering if these people really expect to get these prices, or is it a general rule that gunshow or shop dealers throw an extra 50.00 or more on top of an already fair profit?

Willy

I think the internet is a great resource for finding the current market value on just about anything, including new and used firearms. I occasionally mention to sellers that I have seen other guns selling for much less, and ask them why if there is some reason that would make their gun more desireable to me. Coming from a long line of peddlers, I'm often surprised that people that set up at gun shows don't expect customers to haggle. I automatically deduct money from the price on the tag because I assume that they automatically added in a haggling cushion. I guess some don't. I have even heard sellers say to someone that makes them an offer, "This isn't Walmart". (Why Walmart, I don't know but I have heard it more than once). I guess these sellers are missing the point that you go to a show because you want to haggle. At least I do. If I want something new and want to pay retail, I shop at the retail outlet. By far the smoothest way I have found to transition into the dickering stage is to simply ask the seller, "Are you open to offers on that gun?" Doesn't tell em what you want to spend and also doesn't ruffle the feathers on the "No Hagglers".

Grayfox

Most gunshops won't haggle. They have set their price based on cost, overhead and profit margin. Some of them really like their profit margin! If you feel the price is too high then go elsewhere.
Gunshows are an entirely different critter. These folks had to haul all their stuff to the show and often will take a small loss just to keep from hauling it back. Especially the small dealers and collectors. If you're talking about trade deals, all bets are off! Let the best haggler win. Sometimes buying a gun is almost as much fun as shooting it. :)

jimc

if you are going to try and do 'the deal" as i refer to it. once you found the item you know you need to have, take your money out from where ever you keep it then ask "WHAT'S THE BEST YOU CAN DO ON THIS RIGHT KNOW?" however you MUST be prepared to buy right then. don't say ok let me think about it! if not you may not get a second chance i had a guy at a table i had at a gun show pick up my H&K 91 that looked like new(with out asking) he cock's and locks the charging handle then let's it fly into battery!!! kinda irritated i ask him were you interested in that firearm his reply NO BUT I ALWAYS WANTED TO DO THAT !! be courterous. and to greyfox. yes sometimes the haggle is almost as much fun as shooting it is

Gino

I was at a show a few weeks ago looking for a specific pistol. I found a dealer with one priced at $550. I asked how low he would come down. He said the price is as marked, so I gave him the Shotgun News price ($300) and asked what a fair markup would be. He told me to go away, and swore at me. What a jerk!

I found the same gun further on for $300 out the door. Guess which one I bought! Remember, just cause the price is $300 wholesale today, the dealer might have bought it a year ago and is willing to give a good offer....

I never feal bad about making an offer, as long as it is fair and I'm willing to take it that day. Shotgun News is our friend. And an educated buyer is that jerk dealer's worst enemy.

I might stop buying at gun shows soon. I've found a local dealer that will get me any gun out of Shotgun News for 10% over wholesale. (as long as it isn't in his stock)

Gino, who spends entirely too much time at gun shows, just ask my girl friend! :)

Jeff Thomas

Many people just don't understand business, and some of those, unfortunately, run businesses.

I always make an offer, although I usually do it quietly, and directly to the owner, manager or other decision-maker. They don't necessarily want everyone to know they'll dicker.

Best negotiating book I ever read was (as I recall the title) 'Getting to Yes'. The main point was to negotiate to a fair price based upon facts. Always go back to the facts. So, regarding firearms, documentation such as the 'Blue Book', Shotgun News and such is great. I liked a lot of the advice above regarding diplomatic approaches - I also find it best to be polite and friendly. But, always, getting back to what the market appears to be for the item under discussion.

Anyone who gets mad either because you won't pay over market, or because they want you to accept a price (when you're selling) under market, is being illogical at best. At worst, they are a fool or a thief. Spend no time or money on fools.

Ken Cook

It's been years since I've paid the full sticker price on a gun.
This is because I go to the same shop everytime and they know me. They know that if I'm interested, I want to deal and if I'm not interested, I'm not going to look at the gun.
If they don't have what I want, I ask them to look around and see if they can find it and if they can, how much?
Anything I buy from them I get at a serious discount. Sure, he's still making money off of me, but he makes it up in the sales volume I bring in to him. Loyalty works both ways!

------------------
Your mind is your primary weapon.

Kodiac

This is true - I had the same thing going out at a range in Richmond Virginia - the D&P SHOOTING RANGE. If you are in the Richmond Virginia area - stop by... JOEL there is a great guy... and he will bend over backwards to help you out...
Commercial Loyalty to the customer is rare - almost as rare as Customer Loyalty to the local shop! It is good to see that where it exists - it is rewarded. It is a good way of doing business.

------------------
"Fear will keep the local systems in line..."

Ankeny

If I am in a retail outlet I always politely ask if the price is firm. You get a yes or no right away without offending anyone. If the dealer inquires into why I asked, I tell him some folks will offer a discount for cash sales so he/she know I won't slap plastic down.

At gun shows I walk around with a Gun List magazine rolled up under my arm. When I ask if I can handle a firearm, I set the Gun List on the table. You would be suprised how many times the seller has told me the price is negotiable without my even asking.