proper break in sw9ve

zachkuby87

I just purchased my first pistol last night a smith and wesson sigma 9mm aka sw9ve I'm not looking to hear opinions on what you think of the gun just wondering how to break it in properly I purchased a cleaning kit and 200 rds of winchester 115 grain fmj whie box as I've heard it called. I talked to a few guys one said simply shoot the **** out of it one said clean it first run 50 rounds through field strip check for anything unusual run the other 150 through and I should be good to go I was wondering what do you guy do for break in? I've done nothing so far I field stripped it made sure I got a full understanding of how everything worked read the manual and my local shop was running a promotion where the gun came with a rail adapter and a laser sight for 30 bucks extra I figured I couldn't go wrong. I installed the laser and did a quick sight in by eye..

roaddog28

Hi,
The Sigma gets better the more you use it. I have a 40VE and after 200 to 300 rounds the pistol is better than ever. Cleaning a Sigma is easy so I would every 100 rounds.
Congrats on purchasing a Sigma. They are good self defense semi-autos
Howard

Last edited:

doctruptwn

You got good advise follow it.. Mine only had feeding malfunctions after I had shot about 750 rounds through without cleaning. Beyond that the 40 or 9mm that I have, have been flawless.

dyl

metal shavings

If you haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet you could check for metal shavings left over from the factory in the nooks and crannies of the slide. Just by running a rag along the corners and see what you get.

But I haven't really heard of any damage done to a handgun by not adhering to a certain break-in ritual if the gun was mechanically fine before firing it.

Most I've heard happen by not cleaning first was Failures To Feed or Failure To Eject if some of the preservative grease/gunk from the factory was still in the slide. But that wouldn't hurt anything, at most it would be annoying due to the interruptions.

Some guns will have stoppages in the first few hundred rounds anyways even if they're cleaned because everything is still smoothing out.

Have a great time!

crazy charlie

If it's brand new clean it and lube it according to the instruction manual before you fire it. After firing clean it as soon as possible(I find it easier to clean at the range or as soon as I get home).
A clean gun is a happy gun. YMMV;)
If you intend it for self defense fire it with self defense loads to make sure it functions with them.
I have a .40 Sigma GVE and it hasn't had any malfunctions with any ammo I have fed it.
Enjoy.

Last edited:

zachkuby87

Thanks and yes it will serve as my self defense gun until I make up my mind between 1911 or xdm .45 so once I'm convinced its in working order ill run at least 100 hp's of my liking through it to make sure everything is g2g

zachkuby87

One more question I didn't wanna start a new thread I compared ammo prices of local shops and online prices and online is cheaper as always especially if I buy in bulk but you probably already know this. My question is can I order ammo from one of these websites and have it delivered to my front door? Or do I need to go through the same process as buying a pistol online

angel71rs

In TX, my ammo orders get delivered right to my door, UPS or FedEx. I know some states are restrictive on ammo purchases, especially JHPs, but never heard of MN being that way. Might want to check your laws anyway.

Some online stores require you to send them a copy of your ID to prove you are 21, some you just certify you are legal age when you order.

Do you have an Academy Sports store near you? They currently have Rem Shurshot on sale.

Last edited:

Justice06RR

I don't really believe in the "break-in" period of a handgun.

If a pistol requires break-in, then I won't buy it. I've heard of certain pistols, but really a firearm should work right out of the box with no break-in required. When i bought my M&P9 I went straight to the range and shot it w/o cleaning or lubing and had no issues whatsoever. I did clean it after I got it home.

Kreyzhorse

I don't buy a break in period on guns either. I'd suggest cleaning it, shooting it and then cleaning after you are done. Repeat as needed and that should take care of it. Don't forget a little oil after you clean it.

woodguru

I sat and dry fired a Taurus MilPro .40 two or three hundred times while I was watching TV at commercials. It's amazing how much the trigger pull improved.

Another agreement on the just shoot it page. It's always a good idea to shoot 50 or a hundred rounds and then clean and go through it looking for abnormal wear and smooth up any rub points that will help make it smoother.

Agreed on the "little oil", I'm not a fan of grease in semi's.

bossman

Take it out of the box,clean it,oil it take to the range and shoot as many rounds as you like. Bring it home clean it take to the range and shoot as many rounds as you like. Repeat as you feel needed. Such a great gun for the money. Around $300 and 4 17 round mags. Mine shoots anything I've fed it and is just a solid performer.

psyshack

Clean/Lube and shoot! 100 rounds means nothing to a good Sigma. If you learn to deal with a Sigma trigger. It will make a better shooter out of you. Yeah the trigger has idiot issues and can be cleaned up a tad.

But the bottom line is. I know some of the Sigma shooters that have posted up in this thread can post up some target pics Sigma bashers can't shoot. :)

This is the norm with my Sigma. :)

Tri-Target.jpg

May post up some video of the day that target was shot. ;)