Proof that Lee Precision is junk and can't be trusted.

TexasSeaRay

It's been almost five years to the week since I last reloaded anything for either of my 30-06 rifles (pre-64 Winchester Model 70 and a Savage 110B), let alone even shot them.

Good news/bad news.

Bad news is that I was afraid I'd be a bit rusty with both the reloading and the shooting. Good news is that I found all my old reloading and shooting notes for both guns.

I guess the handicap was loading on obviously inferior, questionable, cheap Lee equipment. The whole time I was wondering if these rounds might get confused and try to shoot the wrong way out of the gun.

One thing was for certain--according to some of the experts, no way in hell was I going to produce ammo as good as what my blue machine could produce.

But hey, what the hell? Life is all about challenges, right?

I spent almost six hours reloading a whopping total of sixteen 30-06 rounds. Was very particular about weighing each case, trimming, chamfering, deburring the flash hole, weighing each bullet, trickling the powder in the scale, etc etc.

Thought about getting some snap caps to practice my dry firing, but figured that all that marksmanship training we got at the interservice school at Benning would never leave me.

Set up my four-holer target at 100 yards, adjusted my grip, got a spot weld and knocked out four rounds for each load.

The particulars are Federal brass, Speer 150 grain SP bullets, IMR 4350 powder and CCI large rifle primers. LOT of case prep work before any of the components even got close.

But, it all paid for itself.

At 100 yards, using a sandbag to cradle my elbow just like I was taught thirty-something years ago by Uncle Sam.

I guess my old cheap Chevy reloading setup gets by. Even better was that the gun that did this was my Savage--a brand some put in the same category as Lee.

Jeff

roy reali

Re:TexasSeaRay

Amazing! You shot ammo made with Lee Equipment and fired it in a rifle made by Savage and you lived to tell about it. Too bad Ripley's Believe It Or Not is off the air.;)

rwilson452

When I moved here I couldn't bring all my reloading stuff with me. All I had for a press was a Lee Loadmaster. I used it as a single stage to develop loads from my Remington 700 VLS in 22-250 my best group from that rifle was .400 edge to edge. You do the math for MOA. After around 2500 rounds the barrel gave up. so I sold it and bought a Savage 12BVSS in .243 I had to go in the hospital and lost this past summer so I didn't get any loads developed. Then I bought a Savage 12FV in 22-250. One reason I didn't get a load developed for the .243 is I got a bad barrel. It took two tries to get Savage to put a new barrel on it. This time I have a Lee Classic Cast Press for load development on. That press is so weak you can get a 50BMG kit for it. Can you do 50BMG on your Rock Crusher?

Oh I await the spring.

My local range has little wind usually before 10 AM but right now the temperature at that time of the morning is under freezing. These are my varmint rifles. that is all summer shooting. I just gotta wait for good weather to do the loads.

my Deer rifle is a model 70 (post) in 30-06 and I get .5 MOA all day long. that with a 150 gr Sierra SPBT and R15 .02 off the lands. I guess I should mention I was noting some slack in COAL until I started measuring with a Sinclair bullet comparator. My Calipers would barely twitch.

wncchester

Understand your problems. A LOT of us have erratic results like that with both Lee and Savage, guess we should only load with green tools so we can have consistantly larger groups.

Sevens

TSR, you bastige. I can't stand you... you get to shoot all the time, you waste more paper on targets that never get holes punched anywhere but in teeny tiny little spots, and you always make crappy Lee equipment look good.

You are a real PITA, pal! :D

The Lovemaster

TSR,

Wow, that's terrible, I can't believe an esteemed shooter like yourself could shoot that bad! :)

I'm glad you overcame your embarrassment and posted the results of your Lee loading and Savage shooting for the benefit of our community.

.45 Vet

Yeh, it does take a pretty big man to humble himself in a public place like this.
Gotta' send out an "Atta-Boy" for your efferts. Just keep practicing, it'll get better in time, you'll see.... :D

Sevens

Hey, notice the data written on the target-- no range listed.
Jeff does all his shooting at combat range, 3 to 7 yards! ;)

Mark B

Nice shooting!
I've been using my Lee press, Lee dies, and Lee Auto Prime for about 20 years now. I can afford any press I want, but when I see companies wanting well over 100.00 for a steel square with a hole on top and a ram through the bottom I just shake my head, laugh and thank Mr. Lee.

SL1

Jeff,

After looking at those targets, I think you had better keep your shots to 50 yards or less when hunting ants. You should be good-to-go at any range on larger game.

SL1

sheepman

I know how you feel, a lot of my equipment is LEE. I only keep using it so I can blame my pore shooting on the reloading equipment. :D:D Good shooting Bill

TexasSeaRay

Unclenick said:
Reduce your load increments and you might find a sweet spot for that powder and bullet combination.

That's what I'm thinking. I started at the bottom of the scale (54.0 of IMR 4350). That first group was with that powder configuration and was with a clean and cold barrel. The groups improved with each shot fired.

I need to break down and buy me another chronograph--would like to see what happens to velocity with reduced loads.

As far as their effectiveness on game, not worried at all. Largest thing I hunt is elk. Only concern might be how the (lower powder charge) round does out into the 200 to 400 yard range.

Hey, notice the data written on the target-- no range listed.
Jeff does all his shooting at combat range, 3 to 7 yards!

3 to 7 yards? No way! I only shoot 3 to 7 feet.

Then I put the targets in the tumbler to get rid of all the GSR. Afterwards I get my wife to iron them out.

Jeff

fourrobert13

I can't complain about my Lee reloading equipment....Oh, and the rifle that shot that group was a Stevens 200 .223.
t2.jpg

It's all that's on my bench.:D
DSCF0928.jpg

TexasSeaRay

I can't complain about my Lee reloading equipment....Oh, and the rifle that shot that group was a Stevens 200 .223.

Yes, sir. Another heathen who dares to defy conventional wisdom.

Fan-damn-tastic shooting, by the way. I'd be happy if I could get groups a fourth the size of those. Me and .223/5.56 have just never jelled too well together--at least not up to this point. Got a new load, bullet, primer combo I'm trying out. We'll see how that does.

Jeff

Alleykat

Savages have long been reputed to be some of the most accurate rifles out-of-the-box. I use Lee dies, almost exclusively, in my reloading. Using Lee Collet Dies (neck-sizing dies), my .223 VS shoots in the low 2s, and that's five-shot groups.

Nothing wrong with Lee dies, as long as you don't stick 'em on a crappy Lee press!:D

jhansman

Same combo I use (with a Lee Challenger!), and with the same result. Glad you 'proved' how crappy both products are. For a minute there, I was worried I had bought the right stuff! ;)

Bogie

Bit of a crosswind that day?

54-55 looks most consistent - you can see where it started to open up above that. Lose the fliers (probably from a mix of recoil impulse on an improvised rest, and the heavier trigger), and compensate for wind shifts, and that is a darn interesting rifle. How far are you out of the lands?