Prone position shooting with a handgun: useful or not?

HiltonFarmer

I attended a Black Badge course this weekend designed to help interested shooters get aclimated with IPSC.

The course was really well done and I must say that I enjoyed it immensely. How could I not, I fired off about 500 rounds over the two days.

We shot from varying positions of which, prone was one. IMHO, being an older fellow, this was one of the most uncomfortable and non-forgiving positions I have ever shot from with a handgun. "Put the butt on the ground and squeeze off the round." says the instructor. Ummmm, if I put the darn thing on the ground, I can't get low enough to see the sights shooting at a target 5 feet off the ground.

I really don't think that a handgun was meant to be fired from this position especially at 20 yards from the target. How many forum members have shot from this position? Did you place the butt of the handgun on the floor or was it being held with a normal grip?

HiltonFarmer

Maser

Recoil is not fun in that position. Seeing as you kind of "relax" your grip on the gun, it will have a more shaper recoil. I tried shooting like that once with my dad's Glock 26. Being a sub-compact gun, it almost jumped out of my hand. I feel prone position is better suited for long guns.

tony pasley

I have shot from prone and did not enjoy it very much. It is good to know how to do it but see seldom useage of it. I found from prone I shoot better when I raise it a hand width off the ground.

punkkin

It would seem that being able to shoot from all different positions would be and advantage. Even uncomfortable ones...:D

Majic

Whose butt on the ground, your's or the handgun? :D
Seriously I have my elbows on the ground, but holding the handgun off the ground.

HiltonFarmer

Whose butt on the ground, your's or the handgun?

Ummm, ya.

When instructed to place the butt of the gun on the floor and sight the target, wow! I could hardly get my head low enough to see the sights. I agree with you in that the gun should be off the ground; even if it's the thickness of your hand. I could at least see the target then. :D

The knees are gone so anything that takes me to the ground like that would be hurtful. Like Zak said, maybe grunting will help!

HiltonFarmer

BreacherUp!

Hilton, use this technique if you are having trouble getting your head down to the sights:
place your support hand lower on the grip, intelocking the index finger of the support hand with the pinky of the strong hand (ala golf grip). This will place your support hand firmly on the ground while allowing your head to get a good sight picture. Not as stable as getting completely down, but much more stable than shooting off of your elbows.

pax

Useful for what? Nothing at all, unless ...

... you want to shoot handguns accurately at long distances, prone is excellent. If long distance shooting isn't your thing, I guess you could say learning to shoot a handgun from the prone position is not useful, unless ...

... you are practicing for self-defense, and (being an old guy or maybe just a clumsy youngster) you believe you could find yourself lying flat on your face trying to defend yourself from an attacker. Can you shoot in that position? I guess if you're not worried about that, learning to shoot a handgun in the prone position isn't useful at all, unless ...

... you think the above is far-fetched, but are willing to concede you might want to (for instance) shoot an attacker from underneath some low type of cover, like a car or a bed. Still too far-fetched? Okay, not useful, unless ...

... you are interested in shooting IPSC or IDPA and you have a mean and nasty and downright evil course designer who designs a stage that requires you to shoot from a super-low port. Action pistol games not your thing? Okay, shooting a handgun from prone isn't useful.

:)

pax

HiltonFarmer

Pax said

you are interested in shooting IPSC

and I am. :D

I just found it to be awfully uncomfortable. I would suspect that the more I perform the action, the easier it will become. I appreciate the suggestions all.

HiltonFarmer

credx2

What use is prone hand gun shooting.

This is constant argument among Federal law enforcement agencies and their less than competant shooters but more than competant investigators. her ei the company line and I think it is a good one.

Being able to shoot well prone incorporates all of the most basic marksmanship skills necessary to move you into more agressive tactical shooting. It make you hyper sensitive to sight alignment, triger control and breating. If you cant shoot accurately with you body and firearm in the most stable position possible then chances are you wont shoot well without all that support.

Try these suggestions to make your prone shooting more comfortable and accurate.

credx2

Roll over prone

This is a constant argument between instructors and their less than best shooters who hate shooting long distance, prone or otherwise, and don't see the point. Here is the company line and in this case I think it is a good one.

Being able to shoot well from the prone position incorporates all of the most basic marksmanship skills necessary to move you more effectively into aggressive tactical shooting. It makes you hyper sensitive to slight differences in sight alignment, trigger and breath control. If you can’t shoot very accurately with your body and firearm in the most stable position possible then it's probable that you won’t shoot to your potential without all that support.

Try these suggestions to make your prone shooting more comfortable and accurate.

1. Put your hat on backwards or take it off and make sure your eyewear is large enough. You don’t want to have to try to sight around hat brims and glasses frames.

2. When you begin to prone out, go down on your strong side knee first with your back straight - before you draw. Once you are on one knee remove the weapon from the holster,and point it down range. Use your weak side hand to support your upper body as you go fully into prone. (If you don't come out of the holster until you are fully prone, you will likely be pointing your weapon to the rear of the range when you do draw.)

3. Once you are prone, with your strong side arm, weapon in hand, extended toward the target; role your body slightly to your strong side so that the outside of your strong shoulder and the length of your arm, fist, and possibly the butt of your weapon are on the ground. (I find supporting the weapon with my weak hand pinkie between the ground and butt while cupping my strong hand and pistol works for me.) Your strong side ear should be resting along your strong side bicep or shoulder.

4. Blade you body and legs to the 7 or 8-o'clock (4 or 5 o’clock lefty) - with the target being at the 12 o’clock position - and bend your weak side knee a bit for comfort and to keep your body from tending to roll back on to your stomach. (I find putting the sole of my left (weak) foot against my right knee works for me.)

5. If you are tilting your head way back to acquire your sights you are cutting off circulation at the neck and straining the muscles making maintaining you position very uncomfortable and unstable. Adjust your arms/body to alleviate this; this position should be very comfortable and natural (kind of like a Sunday afternoon nap on the couch). Sight down the length of your strong side arm with your dominant eye. If you are cross- dominant you can easily adjust.

6. When you are done shooting, remember not to re-holster until your body is upright. If its difficult to get up with one hand, leave your pistol on the ground and use both hands to get to your knees before you holster. Once holstered, you can use all four limbs to get yourself standing again.

This covers a lot of space when describing the technique in writing it but it’s a quick and natural position to attain and maintain and about as stable a position as you shoot a pistol from.

"Zak" described this as the "roleover prone" position which sums it up nicely, try it, it works; even for those of us who traded our sleeping bags for a quilted top mattress some time ago.

Hiltonfarmer, I didn’t overlook the fact that you were firing prone from only 20 yards but try this even at 20 yards, you should see a difference in comfort and accuracy At 50 yards with a little concentration you will really see how this all comes in to play.

Best regards and happy shooting.

OBIWAN

What has always amazed me is that the carbine runs just fine even with the ejection port down:D

I cannot see putting the butt (of the pistol) on the ground but if you only cover is the wheel of a car or a curb I would think your comfort will be low on your list of priorities

One of the disadvantages of prone is that the ground is seldom real flat...rollover prone gives you more vertical alignment control of the weapon than you would get in a more standard prone

WeedWacker

My dad uses prone for his .44 mag when deer hunting and he has a burm to rest on. otherwise it's shooting sticks kneeling or standing.

Shooting from the prone position is a great way to use low cover like the concrete bumpers in parking lots, curbs, drainage ditches, ect...

It's not much fun to shoot pistols prone, but if you practice plenty it is quite accurate.

For this position, I like to take a slightly lower grip with my left hand and use the bottom of my hand to make contact with the ground. This gives you an extra inch or so of elevation and makes it easier to get a good sight picture without digging your chin into the dirt.

Keep in mind there is a distinct difference between the traditional prone position and the rollover prone. Many find the first uncomfortable, most find the latter quite comfortable. Now getting up afterwards---that's a different thing altogether!