Promags...Endless debate

MosinM38

Okay. Got a question. I looked, and basically the debates on Pro-Mag magazines is "SOme are bad and some aren't".

What I wanted to know, (And I haven't seen) is certain guns/magazines worse than others? For example, Mini14's more reliable than 1911's,etc.etc.

I was wondering because I have gotten 8 Pro-mag magazines for my Mini14.

1 I haven't tried yet (20 round steel).
1 didn't function (10 round polymer).
6 functioned (1 40Rd steel, 2 30Rd steel, 1 20Rd steel, 2 30Rd Polymer).

BUT....I have only ran 2 loads through each magazine, due to the very pricey ammunition. (been through 400 rounds thus far=$160 just in testing ammo).

I wanted to know for 3 reasons.
#1. Although I was planning on just saving (Alot) of money and check each mag for full reliability (5 runthroughs with ammunition), I got to figuring and it would take roughly $45 a magazine to fully test them for reliability.

#2. Is it just because I picked them? I dug through bins of magazines, and selected the ones I wanted. Some I would push down and they'd stick, and some wouldn't push down. I just took the ones that seemed to work.

#3. Are they flukes? I ask because I am planning on buying a number more magazines, and was curious if Pro-mag complaints are coming from the ones they turned out in the hours before the '94 Brady Bill. OR. if the Mini-14 mags are better than other types.

Any help is appreciated :)

P.S. Yeah I know ;) I only post with questions.

hknut

I have never had a problem with my 3 8 rounders for my Sig 220. Keep in mind not everyone cleans a gun the same. A dirty gun will not run forever. And alot of people blame a gun's magazine right of the bat.

lee n. field

I was wondering because I have gotten 8 Pro-mag magazines for my Mini14.

Back when I had a Mini-14, I had a bunch of Promag magazines. A couple 10 rounders, and some 20s. Only one gave me any problem at all, and Promag replaced that one. They were also the only aftermarket magazines I had that would reliably hold open the action after the last shot.

scsov509

The issue here, in my experience, has more to do with the fact that you're talking about Mini-14 magazines than Pro-Mags. Basically, one of the idiosyncrasies that you have to adapt to with a Mini is the fact that they are pretty temperamental when it comes to magazines. Some brands do in fact have the reputation of being more reliable than others, and the best place to go for an objective assessment of mags is here. But really, outside of the factory magazines, nothing is ever 100% reliable in every Mini so that the only way to know is to test a specific magazine in your own rifle.

My experience is that the Pro-Mag 20's and factory 20's are the only mags that have worked flawlessly in my Mini. As far as 30's go, the best I've found are the PMI mags which you can only find now as used or new-old-stock since PMI is no longer in business. Other than the PMI mags, the 30's are pretty much a roll of the dice from one rifle to the next. I hear increasingly good things about the John Mason Black Warrior mags, but can't speak from experience how they perform. If I had to guess based on what you've listed, I'd say your 20's and 30 round poly-mags are probably safe. But the 30's are known to be somewhat questionable in the Mini, and I've never been able to get any 40 round mag to work worth a darn. YMMV...