Project Gun: CZ 75B SA

Delaware_Dan

Well I'm tired of waiting for a decent priced, quality, 1911 in 9mm, so I think I'm going to start tinkering with my CZ 75B SA. I was thinking about building up my RIA tac. but I will buy a better 1911 someday instead of upgrading, because after it's all said and done I could have just bought the Springfield that I want. For now the RIA is a workhorse that does it's job, if it gets dirty or banged up, it's no sweat. (ditto for all my other guns)

4479595992_5c8dd2437a.jpg

The CZ 75B SA just oozes quality and craftsmanship, and anything I can do to improve this fantastic firearm I am all for. I have been wanting a project gun ever since I finished with my Ruger 10/22, and I think I found one.

4478968289_11d006f54b.jpg

So what do you guys think? I'm up for any sugestions at all, trigger jobs, new sights, new finish, new grips etc. If this was your project gun what would you do to it, and who would you have do the work? Money is no object at this point. Have at it guys and gals...

-Dan

schmeky

Delaware Dan,

Great choice. I have turned most of CZ's into some kind of "project". Here's what I like:

Competition hammer
15# mainspring
Polish the trigger stirrup/bar
Polish the mainspring strut
CZ competition sights front and rear
Polish the barrel hood
Grips of your choice
Round the trigger guard
Finish options -whatever floats your boat

I personally think a CZ-75 in two-tone (hard chrome or nickel frame with a blued or melonite slide) is a work of art.

Have fun.

etaoin

I "cheated" and recently bought a CZ 75B SA Target model from the CZ Custom shop with the trigger job, Dawson fiber-optic sight, etc., already done to it. SWEET! I plan to use it for IDPA ESP-class shooting. This model comes with a straight aluminum trigger. Boy, do I like that!

The only problem I've discovered is that the SA does not have the front 1" of the slide contoured like the CZ 75B. Therefore, it's difficult to find a good holster to fit it. Bob at Hazel Leather said he could shim-up his CZ75 mold to accommodate, but he's not taking orders for awhile. When he does, though, that's what I'm going to do.

After I put a few miles on it, I might send it to Robar for an NP3 treatment.

WagonM

Have you tried HBE yet? He's a CZ person, he may have the mold for your Target SA. I just spoke to Eric last week, ordered one for my P-01. I have been using his Pro-TL for my Kahr PM9, just got hooked by his work.

The only problem I've discovered is that the SA does not have the front 1" of the slide contoured like the CZ 75B. Therefore, it's difficult to find a good holster to fit it.

Last edited:
here is mine... don't shoot autos much anymore... butt... I love the gun... note the frame mounted optics mount, & the slide pull knob...

attachment.php

Walt Sherrill

Does your SA have the two-way adjustable trigger. Some don't.

Some years back they came with a plastic trigger, that was adjustable for overtravel only. They also had a metal trigger that was almost identical, and a two-way adjustable trigger, adjustable for over-travel and takeup. That's the trigger you want, if it's not already installed.

You want to consider having a competent gunsmith familiar with the CZs work on the trigger, too. Angus Hobdell (at the CZ Custom Shop) or Jim Miossi immediately come to mind. Miossi can also install a hardened sear that will stand up much, much longer without adjustment.

Angus has options as well.

Here's mine. All the work was done by Eric Larsen, the guy mentioned earlier (Holsters by Eric). It was his gun and he did some of the work himself (like the semi-stippling on the front and back straps, and light-color controls; he also had a good trigger/action job done by a local gunsmith (since moved away). If I remember correctly, he also had the barrel cryo-treated. Grips are by Hakan. Eric found the grip screws, as well. It has PT night sights, which have been replaced by IMI, under warranty. It's a fine-shooting CZ.

Custom75BSA.jpg

Last edited:

Delaware_Dan

I took this thing out today, and I was able to get 1-2 inch groups with it at about 30 feet or so. I really think this gun has a lot of potential and I am looking foward to using it more.

mtnmasher

Some years back they came with a plastic trigger, that was adjustable for overtravel only. They also had a metal trigger that was almost identical, and a two-way adjustable trigger, adjustable for over-travel and takeup. That's the trigger you want, if it's not already installed.

Walt,

Can the different triggers be identified visually? Also, would anyone happen to know what CZ is putting in the latest production guns?

On a side note, the safety on the SA at the local shop doesn't have much of a detent, and I'm a little concerned about how easy it would be to unintentionally swipe it to the off position. Any thoughts?

-dg-

Last edited:

Walt Sherrill

The two-way adjustable triggers have an adjustment screw inside the frame, above the trigger pivot pin. You can see it on the front of the trigger from the top, inside.

If it's metal or plastic is easy enough.

No idea about the detent, but there should be a spring-loaded detent inside the frame. Check your parts list. Maybe a stronger (newer) spring will help.

I don't know what comes installed, nowadays.

(I went back to school and didn't shoot much over the past couple of years; just starting back up shooting again.)

Delaware_Dan

Walt, I'm sure my trigger is metal, and came with over travel screws, but I'm unsure if it is adjustable for take up. I like the fact that I need to take up the "slack" in the trigger before I get to the pull, so this is a non issue for me.

On a side note, the safety on the SA at the local shop doesn't have much of a detent, and I'm a little concerned about how easy it would be to unintentionally swipe it to the off position. Any thoughts?

The saftey on my SA is the most positive saftey on any gun that I own. I wouldn't worry about it.